Two PVR 508's from one DishPro LNB

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

c1306

Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Midwest
Hi guys,
Newbie here with a quick question. I own two PVR 508's which are both activated and i am paying for monthly. I also own a pole mounted Dish Network dish with a DishPro dual LNB mounted on it. The dish is mounted about 100ft from the house due to trees and i have only one cable buried to the house. I receive programming from satellites 110 and 119. I have been running only one of the 508's off of the dish and am wanting to hook up the second 508 in a different room for the kids to watch. I need details on how to get the second 508 to work independently and receive different channels from the first unit. I also have a spare DP Plus dual LNB if that would work better than the Dish Pro dual LNB? Maybe i need a different dish and LNB altogether to hook up a second 508 while only running one cable from the dish? I had an installer tell me that there is a special type of splitter that would run both receivers off of one cable, but he wanted a small fortune to come out and hook it up! I have a ChannelMaster dual signal meter that i use for my portable dish when traveling so i am not a novice at set-up. Just need the details of what is needed here as i don't want to run a second cable from the dish! Thanks gentlemen............i appreciate it! c1306

I don't think that's possible. If this were a dual-tuner receiver such as the 522/625, then you could swap out your DishPro twin (you said "dual) for a DisPro Plus twin (you said "dual") and control both tuners indepedently. But to my knowledge, there is no way to feed two tuners in separate boxes from a single cable. :(

I was calling the DishPro LNB and the DP Plus LNB by the name "dual" for lack of the correct term (told you i was a newbie):D, but they do have two LNB's on each head (assembly), so i see that is called "twin". Well, it sounds like it is impossible to do with only one cable running from the dish to the house. If i decide to run another cable down to the house (big hassle):(, then which connections on the LNB's do i use for each cable? Any secrets to hooking it all up? Thanks for all the information, it is greatly appreciated. BTW, are there newer PVR receivers available that would connect using just my one cable? Maybe i just need new equipment? Thanks again! c1306

Last edited:
DishProPlus and the Separator will only work for the dual tuner units

It will not work to "split" to 2 single tuner receivers. You need to run two lines

The newer DVR units are dual tuners but also carry a DVR fee ;) The 508 does not

If you are using a DP LNBF there is only two connections for cables. connect a cable to the one not used and run it to the Receiver that you are hooking up. If you use the DPP LNBF there is 3 connections. Use the two that are located close to each other. (if you are looking at the bottom of the LNBF they are the two on the left.)

Thanks for the info gentlemen! I have been paying $4.99 per month for both of these PVR 508 receivers for almost a year and only been using one! :( What an idiot! :D Anyhow, i think i will maybe just go ahead and run another cable and if that is too much trouble then i can go with a new dual tuner receiver and one cable. Thanks again for all the help! You guys are a pleasure to find here and i may need you again one of these days! :)

The "twin" LNB assemblies all come with integrated switches, be they legacy, DishPro, or DishPro Plus. This means that you can plug in 2 receivers and still tune in all transponders on Dish's main satellites at 110 and 119.

But... If I were you, I would run TWO more cables, for a total of 3. This would preserve your option to upgrade to HD and to run more than 2 receivers. With only two cables, you can feed at most 2 HD receivers. The 3rd cable allows you to add a 3rd receiver or a DPP switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)