U511 Software breaks control of a Remote Hopper3

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
I upgraded both of my Hopper3 receivers to U511 last night. The new software has broken the ability to do trick plays on a recording playing on the remote hopper.

The following operations no longer work:
1) Stop brings up the Playback Stopped screen but the recording continues to play in the background.
2) Pause displays the paused symbol in the lower right corner but the recording continues to play.
3) Skip back displays the Skip Back Arrow in the lower right corner but the playback does not skip back.
4) Skip ahead works intermittently.
5) Rewind goes forward.

I reported this to Dish Technical Support.

After the upgrade, did you try pulling the AC power plug to reset your Hopper? If you didn't, that might fix the problem.

The first thing I did was a power reset of both Hopper3 receivers. The Dish Technical Support remotely logged into my Family Room Hopper3 Receiver. She was able to verify some of the problems I observed. We also checked and the Moca was good on all receivers. She opened a case since no problems had been reported yet.
The skip forward is now working but not the pause or skip back or stop..

Reactions: charlesrshell
I’m seeing the same cross-hopper issues with my H1s after U122 upgrade. See my post from afew days ago. Users with two Hoppers of all three versions are reporting the same problems. DISH really screwed it up BIG. Obvious software bug. Does DISH even do rudimentary testing?

I only have 1 Hopper 3, and not seeing those issues

Sounds like another rigorously tested Dish Software Release....... @@

Reactions: pattykay
Just my opinion but I don't think it's a matter of testing. What I think is the problem is that when Dish sees a bug they prioritize it as to how many people it will bother. If the number is low, like the percentage of customers who have 2 Hoppers and watch recordings back and forth, or customers who use SD in MultiView, or in the past with the OTA bugs, then the bug gets pushed to the bottom of the list. The bottom of the list bugs probably always don't get fixed before general release, sometimes they get fixed later on and sometimes they never get fixed. It also seems that the more reports about a bug they get the higher they prioritize it for fixing.

Just my opinion but I don't think it's a matter of testing. What I think is the problem is that when Dish sees a bug they prioritize it as to how many people it will bother. If the number is low, like the percentage of customers who have 2 Hoppers and watch recordings back and forth, or customers who use SD in MultiView, or in the past with the OTA bugs, then the bug gets pushed to the bottom of the list. The bottom of the list bugs probably always don't get fixed before general release, sometimes they get fixed later on and sometimes they never get fixed. It also seems that the more reports about a bug they get the higher they prioritize it for fixing.

Yea, same problem on the HWS. Geez. Thing is, a high % of Hopper 1 & 2 users have more then 1 box (largely due to the tuner limit). I've kept my two HWS boxes because I'm sitting on about 300 Timers. Dropping to 200 timers is gonna be a bear.

I don’t see any improvements with the last update. All of the changes appear to be cosmetic. It did not fix the OTA problem (breakups occur in Joey or recordings unless the Hopper is tuned to OTA channel first). It did not fix the external drive problem (still takes 2 attempts).

But it definitely broke playback from a remote hopper. Skip forward went from 30 sec to 10 sec. Stop does not work. Skip back does not work. Pause does not work. Rewind actually goes forward. Dish definitely needs to fix this for those of us with multiple hoppers.
When I called Technical Support she checked and the issues were not even known. I demoed the problems and she was going to open a case with the engineers.

I can’t believe that their software group would not have a setup with multiple hoppers to test their software updates. Their engineers need to talk to us “field testers”.

Yea, same problem on the HWS. Geez. Thing is, a high % of Hopper 1 & 2 users have more then 1 box (largely due to the tuner limit). I've kept my two HWS boxes because I'm sitting on about 300 Timers. Dropping to 200 timers is gonna be a bear.

According to Dish not that many customers have more than 1 Hopper, and of the ones that do not that many watch recordings from one to the other. So, to the bottom of the list. :(

Good to know that their more advanced users are “bottom of the list.”

No regression testing. I think we’ve established this before.

Breaking feature after feature is NOT good practice. It’s not like anything good is being put in as a trade off.

I remember the howls to get tuner rollover between Hoppers. Happiness when we got it. Then, when they took it away, few of us complained. So there is clearly some truth in what you posted.

But sticking it to your customers that use more of your features is not a good idea. These more active users are more likely to be promoting Dish to others.

Right now, I’d suggest to any potential customer that they consider if they can get by quite nicely with OTA and OTT. Granted, it’s more complicated, especially EPG wise.

If not, get FiOS if available. Or a very similar fiber service.

Only then, cautiously, consider Dish. Being forewarned the best hardware is being undermined by ever deteriorating software.

I don’t see any improvements with the last update. All of the changes appear to be cosmetic. It did not fix the OTA problem (breakups occur in Joey or recordings unless the Hopper is tuned to OTA channel first). It did not fix the external drive problem (still takes 2 attempts).

But it definitely broke playback from a remote hopper. Skip forward went from 30 sec to 10 sec. Stop does not work. Skip back does not work. Pause does not work. Rewind actually goes forward. Dish definitely needs to fix this for those of us with multiple hoppers.
When I called Technical Support she checked and the issues were not even known. I demoed the problems and she was going to open a case with the engineers.

I can’t believe that their software group would not have a setup with multiple hoppers to test their software updates. Their engineers need to talk to us “field testers”.
Hello! ALL DISH customers are beto testers or field testers. Comes with the subscription.:biggrin

But it definitely broke playback from a remote hopper. Skip forward went from 30 sec to 10 sec. Stop does not work. Skip back does not work. Pause does not work. Rewind actually goes forward.
Can I ask which remote(s) you are using? My 54 and 52 remotes don't seem to be having these issues.

The issues are happening when I watch a recording from my other Hopper 3. It is happening with my 54.0 and 21.0 remote controls.
Ahh thanks. So this is only affecting multi-Hopper homes if I am reading that correctly. I have just one H3 and so far this release has been pretty stable. I think that the lack of text now beneath the DVR tiles is a bit of a misstep. Maybe they will add a way to toggle those back on again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts