Unable to get a signal on 103

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sredding

Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Hey guys, I am going crazy trying to figure out this dish alignment thing. It is making no sense to me. I am unable to get a signal on satellite 103. I have a clear shot at the southern sky no trees no nothing, it is mounted on the back side of my 2 story house. I tried moving the azimuth and elevation all over the place until my 101 signal was down to 72 and still nothing on 103. I am at 75034 zip code and have my elevation at 50-51 and tilt at 84. Anybody got any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
Dish
Slimline 3 LNB regular .. no swm
Recievers: Hr22-100 with bbc
R22 (with HD) - 200 with bbc
Here are my signals
Satellite Strength
101 96- 99%
110 99-100%
119 99-100%
99c 44-57%
99s 39-42%
103s Not Acq
103ca Not Acq
103cb Not Acq
72.5 95-99%
95 Not Acq

Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys!

What type of dish are you using, swm or regular? A swm has one cable from the dish to the house, then a power inserter, then splitter to the boxes. Assuming the hookups are right, then you are close. Normally after setting the skew and elevation for your area, you dial in the 101 satellite and adjust for the 119. 110 should fall in at this point automatically. Then you must make the fine adjustments for 99 and 103. With the low numbers on 99, you need to dither the dish. That's making the fine adjustments. Try that first. If you don't have any luck, look for the instructional video on Solid Signal - Signal Solutions including HDTV Antennas, DIRECTV & DISH Network satellite equipment and home entertainment supplies & accessories for the Slimline dish. Good luck! It's not real difficult, but it can be tedious. Don't give up, and be sure to come back and let us know how it is going!

just a regular slimline. when fine tune adjusting do you give up the 99-100% on the 101 etc satellites to get a signal on 103 or should I have 99 on all satellites? Is there a method to fine tuning? ie start with elevation setting then move to azimuth? Should I adjust the tilt in fine tuning or just the elevation / azimuth?

No, you do not have to sacrifice your 98%+ on the 101 to get hig reading on the others.

1. make sure that mast is 110% plumb & level (this is where I see most DIY'ers issues)
2. Set your elevation & skew (tilt) and leave it
3. adjust your azimuth by bumping ever so slightly and waiting a bit after each adjustment to give the meter time to catch up.

No, you do not have to sacrifice your 98%+ on the 101 to get hig reading on the others.

1. make sure that mast is 110% plumb & level (this is where I see most DIY'ers issues)
2. Set your elevation & skew (tilt) and leave it
3. adjust your azimuth by bumping ever so slightly and waiting a bit after each adjustment to give the meter time to catch up.

I think he's referring to the Dithering part.
You may give up a point or two in order to get the 99 and 103 pinpointed, but thats nothing to worry about.

IF you have the dish locked in on the 101 and it's at 98%, don't change anything that you used to get the dish there, use the adjusters under the plate, these are VERY FINE tuning devices, there is info on how they work listed above, I think it was in this thread.

Yes, Chips post, post # 2

"IF you have the dish locked in on the 101 and it's at 98%, don't change anything"

Exactly my point ; thanks for putting it in better terms

nicktkd said:
What type of multi-switch are you using?

Doubtful it's the multiswitch if the 99 is as low as it is. I'm going on a hunch the mast isn't level and plumb so it's a lose lose battle until then. If that's not it I'm leaning more towards a bad LNB

I was thinking it may be both, but with the 103 getting nadda and with the 72.5 i was just if it was going through a 4x4.

nicktkd said:
I was thinking it may be both, but with the 103 getting nadda and with the 72.5 i was just if it was going through a 4x4.

Well, the correct MS for the HD stuff is the WB68, I don't think the 4x4 switch will allow the correct frequencies to pass.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

771A Error

Lockout is lifted, who is keeping NFL ST this year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)