Unhappy Dish Customer!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shaudods

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 27, 2008
georgia
Hey guys... thought some of you D* fans would like this and perhaps find this humorous! I was having a party to watch the Georgia vs. Colorado game this weekend. Well that game happened to be on our local FSN network that is locked out because Fox is greedy and Dish is cheap! Anyways, I talked to around 3 or 4 Dish CSR reps on friday and saturday and they assured me that I would be able to watch the game on a different regional sports network that they had opened up to its customers. Well kickoff came and so did the "This game is not available in your area" screen! Luckily, a friend of mine had brought his DirecTV tailgate setup, so the following pictures are of a DirecTV setup setting on the roof of a Dish household in order to watch a game! Hopefully I will be joining you guys soon in the world of DirecTV!

Attachments

• IMG_2198.JPG
    IMG_2198.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2199.JPG
    IMG_2199.JPG
    705.1 KB · Views: 300
That's a good story :)

All I'll say is that if you're a sports fan, DirecTV leads Dish in comparisons. There are several examples of that.

If someone's primarily a movie/premium viewer, I'd say Dish is a good option.

Imo, where the debate gets "interesting" is when we compare the "national" channels, ie, AMC, TCM, BBCA, the lack of HD access on DirecTV vs Dish.

For me, as a sports fan that also has what I need in the preimums and most of what I need with the nat'l HD feeds, DirecTV is the only choice.

With all the problems DISH is having with getting these channels renewed I am so happy I changed back in the summer.

Ive had both, there is no big shock when changing. Some things you miss about Dish software, but Directv is good in other areas. Their new HR DVR's are nice too. Depending on your screen size, I think you'll note that Directv offers a little better image.

I'd be livid over losing NatGeo and Fx, those are two channels I use a lot.

Just in case anyone else reading this is considering switching...

I'm a LONG time E* sub making the switch to D*. It was never really attractive in the past because of the large equipment costs starting up and frankly, D* cost more then.
That's no longer the case.

I'm going from E*'s top 250 to D*'s Choice Ultimate package, whole home DVR (this was a big selling point for my wife... she doesn't normally like changing things ), a pair of HR24 HD DVRs (one for the bedroom and one for the living room - replacing a VIP622 and 612).

Taking EVERYTHING into account... a termination fee I'll owe E* (about $100), an equipment upgrade with D* (from a plain HD receiver to that second HD DVR), a referral credit switching to D* using another D* subscriber's account for referral, autopay discount.... everything... I will save about $400 the first 12 months with D* and when all promos and discounts are gone my monthly bill will be about $3 less than what I'm paying E* right now.

Disadvantages? Yup... there were a couple things to sort out. D*'s receivers won't allow me to record 3 things at once like I can with E*'s receivers. We make heavy use of the DVRs. So I had to actually make a spreadsheet of everything we're recording, what time slot it's in, etc and plot out how to set these up on the D* DVRs when they get here. My OTA will now go direct to my TV and be used as backup viewing if we have a case where both sat tuners in the D* DVRs are busy in that room. Right now I have all recording plotted out so there's always a spare tuner on each DVR. It wasn't that hard to do, but it did take a little planning.
Yes we can get AM21 for OTA, but if I can't record it while both sat tuners are busy then it's kinda pointless, at least for now. I can add 'em later if it becomes an issue.

Frankly I think both D* and E* have comparable programming. Each may have a couple things you like better so you choose based on what they're offerring.

I had to convince my wife to make this change. I explained about the channel drops and that this *could* affect D* at some point as well. Neither provider is immune to these things. We made our decision to switch based on the current situation.

I have to say that saving $400 and getting whole home DVR were 2 big factors.

Just my 2 cents, my experience. Yours obviously may be different. I hope I'm still this satisfied with my decision after it's all installed. :)

Thanks for your post -- I'm in the same situation. I have Dish's top 250 package (or whatever it's called). I get on the DirecTV website and the hardware costs scared me. I'd love some help here.

I have 2 612s (I believe that's what they are -- they allow me to watch 1 TV in HD and the other in SD and include a DVR). I have a TV in 4 rooms -- 2 HD TVs, 2 SD TVs.

I'd like to have something similar with DirecTV. What is an "all-home DVR?" It sounds like I'm looking for what you just ordered -- can you walk me through your order?

Thanks -- I really appreciate it and am BAD at this satellite stuff.

Like the commercials have been saying for years..

Want Sports, Get DirecTv ..

And now more then ever, Plain and simple.

Dish now is famous for "what channels will they be taking away from Us Next huhhhh" LOL

OK, thanks Hemi.

I got on the DirecTV website and was bummed because it looked like, if I wanted 2 2-room DVRS (with at least HD capability for one of the 2 TVs), I was going to have to buy a receiver, which I don't want to do. At the end of the day, I need to watch 2 TVs in HD, 2 in SD, and I'd love for all of them to be on a DVR.

If this is possible from DirecTV, I'm there. Especially if someone can point me to how to save $400! :)

I'm SOOO sick of Dish and their "negotiations." This crap happens far too often. I NEED to see Mad Men and (soon) the Walking Dead.

You can get an HD-DVR and an HD receiver free. Those two receivers can watch the recorded shows on the DVR. If you want the other TVs to be able to watch the recorded shows, you need an HD receiver for each. I believe it's $99 for each.

OK, so just so I understand, I can get a HD DVR and 3 HD receivers and each of the receivers can sync up with the HD DVR and watch the recorded shows?

I'm curious how, with a $200 expense on equipment, I can save $$$ by switching to DirecTV. Actually, I don't need to "save" $$$, I just need to keep my TV bill about the same.

OK, so just so I understand, I can get a HD DVR and 3 HD receivers and each of the receivers can sync up with the HD DVR and watch the recorded shows?

Yes. The only thing to know is that only one of the HD receivers can watch a show from the DVR at a time. You need to request the Whole Home DVR solution.

I have been told (I switched but haven't had my install yet) that if you have 1 HDDVR and the whole home DVR setup, the HD receivers can watch things recorded on the DVR .... HOWEVER .... the DVR can only stream to one of those HD receivers at a time. I only needed 2 HD DVRs so I upgraded that free HD receiver to an HD DVR for $99. Now either DVR can watch any recorded programs regardless of which DVR actually recorded it.

I have the AT250, Platinum, a VIP622 and a VIP612. For my D* install I'm getting Choice Ultimate and a pair of HR24s with whole home DVR service. With all of the promo discounts and a referral discount from aonther D* subscriber I will be saving about $400 the first 12 months. The second 12 months when all promos and discounts are gone my bill will be about $3 less than what I'm paying E* now.

Go on D*'s web site and configure things the way you want. If I were you I'd look at 2 HD DVRs and 2 HD receivers (if you need that many). Nice thing about D*'s web site is when you're in the cart it will show you your monthly payments for months 1-6, 7-12, 13-18 and 19-24 so you'll know what you're paying after promos are gone.

Does that help?

Yeah, that's helpful. I guess it's going to cost $300 in equipment, though, right? ($99 upgrade to the 2nd HD DVR, plus $99 for each of the 2 additional receivers?)

Yeah, that's helpful. I guess it's going to cost $300 in equipment, though, right? ($99 upgrade to the 2nd HD DVR, plus $99 for each of the 2 additional receivers?)

That is correct. You can always ask if they could do anything about the equipment pricing. The worse that can happen is you stay at the $300 price tag.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)