Universal LNB question

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
My new universal LNB just arrived. Just wondering what settings I need to adjust in my receiver to make it work? Do I lock-on the tone for all satellites? What LO do I use?

Thanks in advance!

Mine I don't choose universal in setup. I manually set LO to 10600 and turn on 22kHz.
Now, if you do want it for the far eastern birds to try and get something that may be on the other LO. Of course you will want to use universal, so it will switch for you. But, just to use it for normal NA FRA, follow nthe above.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
It looks like 65W Eutelsat West A uses only Ku low band. So you could set LO for 9750 and switch off 22 kHz. Or just scan the whole band 10700 to 12750 and put LO on 9750/10600. I'm always curious if there are any stations even if Lyngsat says there aren't any.

Universal LNB would mean LOfs 9750 and 10600
Tone (22kHz): AUTO or BAND
Voltage: AUTO or POLARITY
When you can set LNB type to "universal", often Tone and Voltage settings cannot be set anymore (greyed out), or the settings on them are ignored.

Greetz,
A33

Remember the limitations if a Universal type LNB is used with a 22KHz switch. Best if configuring multi-feed to use a DiSEqC switch.
If he is using a single receiver he should be fine using the universal settings, but add another receiver and it becomes a new game if using a multi switch And yes Brian, you are correct about DiseqC
May need to start with baby steps before cascading diseq switches.

Reactions: c-spand and N5XZS
What are the limitations?
A universal lnb already has a 22k tone switch internally to switch bands. IF you then also try to use an outboard 22k switch, it likely won't allow to send the 22k signal through that switch, to get to the internal switch in the lnb to change bands. So, using a Diseqc switch outboard is best, as that will change to whatever port you want (for switching to any other lnbs you may have), and then also allow the receiver to send through a 22k signal to the lnb, if needed.

Reactions: Comptech and KE4EST
So, my setup is currently 2 dedicated coax feeds from a standard, dual LNB- one to my Amiko receiver and one to my V8 Nova Blue receiver. Are you folks saying this dual, Universal LNB won't work with that setup?

Don't forget 117W* bird also have low Ku band and has least 4 FTA SD Mexican stations.

Once in a awhile you will get FTA HD station that's last about day or to at the most.

The most are on 10.970 GHz, H and 11.480 GHz, H if I remembered right and the the signal is pretty strong here in New Mexico, hopefully it will spill over well into Midwest regions! :) :hatsoff

A universal lnb already has a 22k tone switch internally to switch bands. IF you then also try to use an outboard 22k switch, it likely won't allow to send the 22k signal through that switch, to get to the internal switch in the lnb to change bands. So, using a Diseqc switch outboard is best, as that will change to whatever port you want (for switching to any other lnbs you may have), and then also allow the receiver to send through a 22k signal to the lnb, if needed.
Some 22KHz switches will pass the 22KHz signal on to the LNB. Ecoda switches do, as do the ones I use, which are a store-branded switch (might have been made by Ecoda, for all I know). Currently use it on my 117W universal LNB (high band 22KHz on) which use to be for 65W (low band 22KHz off) coupled with an LNB for 97W.

So, basically, if you have a 22KHz switch, you can always try it to see if it will work!

Reactions: primestar31
Ok, got the Universal LNB installed. Set LO for NA sats to 10600 with 22Khz tone on. Set LNB type for low Ku sats to Universal.

The tone doesn't mess with the motor does it?

Tone doesn't mess with Diseqc switches or USALS motors. Only the 22khz tone switch , and some multi switches that allow multiple receivers and multiple satellites. (They utilize tone to switch between sat1/sat2) I keep my USALS set with a universal setting. I don't know what your reach is, but everything on 34.5w is in the lowband, and has a lot of ITC/FTA channels. I have seen lowband signals on some of the canadian sats and mexican sats. The only thing, it adds a couple minutes to the blind scan.

Being you are FEED hunting, IMHO, i would just leave all the sats at Universal. You might catch that occasional signal.

Last edited: