Universal Monster Movies Missing from MonstersHD?

db2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
MN
Did anyone else notice that the classic Universal Monster films are no longer being played on MonstersHD? I wonder if their license to broadcast them expired?

As far as I know it does not work that way. Once you paid ufront for a re-master or the rights to a movie, you kind of own it. You need to pay a window fee everytime the movie airs on Monsters. Monsters keeps a copy of the master and then they paid the fee to Universal.

Update: I went all the way into October with the guide and I'm still not seeing ANY Universal Monster Movies. Something is definitely up. I'm guessing MonstersHD's window to show the movies ran out or Universal did not their contract, or both :down

What I'm talking about Sean are the Classic Universal Monster Movies. Frankenstein series, Wolfman series, Dracula series, Creature series etc.

Looks like MonstersHD lost the rights to broadcast these since they've been AWOL for the past few months.

...shame...

I do not think they lost the rights to it. They are not airing them right now. Once you air them, you own the right to air them as long as you pay a fee every time you air them. It is just not in their schedule right now. Remember these were aired a tons of time before.

"Once you air them, you own the right to air them as long as you pay a fee every time you air them."

That's not quite correct. Channels license movies for specific time frames. A license period for a movie can be one day or several years and, usually, the channel can only air a movie a limited number of times within a license period.

"Once you air them, you own the right to air them as long as you pay a fee every time you air them."

That's not quite correct. Channels license movies for specific time frames. A license period for a movie can be one day or several years and, usually, the channel can only air a movie a limited number of times within a license period.

Thanks for your correction. Here's a few questions:

1- Does the license period includes a copy of the Movie.
2- Is there an upfront fee for ordering the copy of the movie?
3- Do you have to return the copy to the studio?
4- How big is the fee on average compare to the first time you contract.
5- How come Voom licensed the 17 bonds movie and them said that no one else would show them because they paid to be exclusive to them. Obviously they are not being aired right now. Did voom paid for the exclusivity outside the license period to air?

The studios usually charge networks for the physical copies of their films. Most studios have in-house dubbing facilities and will charge several hundred dollars per dub. Considering that licensing a low end film costs a minimum of about $50k, the dub cost is basically irrelevent.

Networks usually do not return the dubs to the studios. The tape remains in the network's tape library in case the film comes back into license.

Licensing fees are all based on several factors. Was it a box office hit? Is it a broadcast premiere? What kind of ratings has it pulled in previous airings? Star power? How long is the license period? How many airings are granted in the license period? Fees can range from several thousand dollars to millions of dollars. Often a network will license a package of movies instead of one at a time.

For the Bond movies, it sounds like Voom paid for exclusivity within the licensing window. Why we haven't seen them in HD on another network since last summer is anyone's guess.

Thanks for your correction. Here's a few questions:

1- Does the license period includes a copy of the Movie.
2- Is there an upfront fee for ordering the copy of the movie?
3- Do you have to return the copy to the studio?
4- How big is the fee on average compare to the first time you contract.
5- How come Voom licensed the 17 bonds movie and them said that no one else would show them because they paid to be exclusive to them. Obviously they are not being aired right now. Did voom paid for the exclusivity outside the license period to air?

Let's assume for a moment that Voom (MonstersHD) has physical copies of the early Universal Monster Films all along and they are able to broadcast them at any time.

Why would they suddenly decide to stop showing them for three months, especially during October?

Let's assume for a moment that Voom (MonstersHD) has physical copies of the early Universal Monster Films all along and they are able to broadcast them at any time.

Why would they suddenly decide to stop showing them for three months, especially during October?

Are these some of the movies...?

MONSTERS HD
FRANK-N-FEST

Premieres Sunday, November 4th, at 9:15pm ET/6:15pm PT/8:15C
MONSTERS HD presents a Frankenstein monster film festival including FRANKENSTEIN (1970) and FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN (1967) as well as the following MONSTERS HD premieres: FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER (1965); and HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER (1958).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)