Universal Sports in HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sammys56chev

Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
los angeles
Does anyone know if Universal Sports is available in high definition or are we stuck with SD? I read at HD Report that there is a free preview going on, but it says Directv only broadcasts the channel in SD. However, when I look on the channel's Wikipedia page it says they broadcast in HD (1080i). If Directv doesn't offer it in HD how can we request it? It's a great channel so far but looks pretty mushy on my 50" Samsung LED. Also, I just checked on Directv's HD channel listings page and it doesnt show up. I also checked OTA but that's only in SD (not surprising though since it's a sub-channel of NBC).

Universal Sports, a partnership between NBC Sports and InterMedia Partners, LP, is the premier multi-platform media destination for Olympic-related sports programming in the United States. Offering more than 1,200 HD hours of original programming each year, Universal Sports has exclusive rights to world and national championship events in a wide array of sports, including swimming, track and field, gymnastics, cycling, skiing, figure skating and rugby. Whether on television, online, or on the go with mobile and tablet applications, Universal Sports offers a four-screen experience to fans of global sports every day of the year. For more information, please visit UniversalSports.com.

http://universalsports.com/press/

ahh geez. i didn't even realize it wasn't OTA anymore. guess I haven't checked on it in over a year. I just seems stupid that they are apparently producing content in HD (as noted by the press release below) but nobody carries it in HD. It's a great channel and I'd love to see some of the skying and rugby events in high def.

This channel "Might" show up in the Summer in HD on DirecTV, due to its coverage of the Olympics. DirecTV loves to be the leader in sports, so its possible.

This channel "Might" show up in the Summer in HD on DirecTV, due to its coverage of the Olympics. DirecTV loves to be the leader in sports, so its possible.

olympics aren't until next winter. and it didn't show up in hd last summer during the london olympics.

Directv USED to love to be the leader in sports. Where's Pac 12 Network?

I would love USN in HD. I watched curling the other day. Granted, SD curling is better than no curling, but HD curling is better.

Directv USED to love to be the leader in sports. Where's Pac 12 Network?
Part of being the leader in sports is keeping costs down for customers and refusing to yield to blackmail from sports networks that make exorbitant and costly demands.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)