Unofficial: Current Customer Promo on Dec. 1st

This is absolutely ridiculous that a current customer has to Uninstall and then reinstall to get this new pricing i am sure it is costing Voom hundreds of dollars more per stb plus install than if they would just make it automatic, again Voom is making another bad business decision. If i were affected i would have cancelled for sure and reinstalled. I wonder if you all called and set your installation up before your deinstall that would work LOL

stevesmall said:
This is absolutely ridiculous that a current customer has to Uninstall and then reinstall to get this new pricing i am sure it is costing Voom hundreds of dollars more per stb plus install than if they would just make it automatic, again Voom is making another bad business decision. If i were affected i would have cancelled for sure and reinstalled. I wonder if you all called and set your installation up before your deinstall that would work LOL
When I called last week to schedule the additional STB install I was told they just generate a new account status for your existing account. The original equipment stays and it is deemed a new install. What you are giving up is your grandfathered status on the pricing and committing to 6 months of service as a new subscriber.

Indy said:
What you are giving up is your grandfathered status on the pricing and committing to 6 months of service as a new subscriber.
With the $10 price increase starting in January, does anyone know what the grandfathered status is good for????? Any definitive word on the price of STB rentals being rolled back to $5 next month?

I think it's rediculous that we all have to sit here with calculators trying to figure out which is the better deal. VOOM should send us a letter explaining the new pricing structure and give us the option of remaining where we are now or commiting for 6 months. If they had a lick of sense, they would have included it in our December bill. Maybe they can't afford to send us extra paper with our bill.

Whipster56 said:
I think it's rediculous that we all have to sit here with calculators trying to figure out which is the better deal. VOOM should send us a letter explaining the new pricing structure and give us the option of remaining where we are now or commiting for 6 months. If they had a lick of sense, they would have included it in our December bill. Maybe they can't afford to send us extra paper with our bill.

VOOM is not alone.
My landline phone company (SBC) is notorious for not telling its current customer base about their new (and usually cheaper) long distance and DSL plans. Unless you stay on top of it yourself, you would continue to pay the higher prices. That's their plan to maximize profits like it or not.

The way the price increase was explained to me is this. From a supervisor at Voom. If you are a existing customer and were so before July when the new prices took affect then you are considered "Grandfathered" in for the programing prices but also the $9.50 STB rental and the mirroring fees.

If you want the $1 install for additional receivers and the flat $5 per month STB rental/mirroring fee then you give up your grandfathered status and go to the new programing rates and make a 6 month commitment at the new rate.

I canceled my install appointment for an additional STB because I want to keep my current programming rate at $79.95 after Jan 1st. If they raise my rate and do not lower the STB rental to $5 then I will either go with the $1 install and add a second STB or go back to Dish Network because I still have all the equipment in place.

I have observed I do not watch very much HD on my projector and spend more time on SD with a non HD set. I would miss Rave and the concerts but will get over it. Decisions, decisions.

My advice is wait to see if the DVR is announced in Jan or Feb and the the prices for programing stay stable for old accounts. The "New Deal" is good until March so there is plenty of time to sort things out.

:confused: The more I read this post, the most confused I am :confused:

Rant Mode: ON

All I want is an affordable whole home solution for 3 HD sets, without multiple rental and mirror fees, and preferably with an affordable DVR. The current "new customer" offers meets the first requirement and I was willing to wait on the DVR since I do not see it happening until April. I have a single VOOM receiver that is rarely being used now that winter is almost upon us; it is located sub-level HT Room (zero WAF do to the cold leather furniture). Also, our winter working hours (in bed at 8pm - up at 4:30am) make it impossible to enjoy service without additional receivers in the family room and bedroom. The crappy cable HD DVR made it simple to enjoy a somewhat normal viewing schedule - a receiver in the bedroom would sure help in the short-term.

First 3 weeks in November - contacted VOOM and attempted to get a 2nd and 3rd receiver and have the $199 installation charge waived. I had already ran the coax cables so installation would consist of attaching the connectors and setup & activate both receivers...even a dope would be in and out in 20 minutes. VOOM would not budge on the installation charge even though I was under no service obligation. NTB!

23 Nov - call VOOM to cancel service so I could later subscribe as a 'New Customer' after my deinstallation. The CSR told me about the upcoming 'Current Customer' promotion starting on 1 Dec ($49/$5/6 mo) and offered me a $25 retention credit if I would call back on or after 1 Dec. I agreed! Except for the HD DVR, that will take care of my base requirement and we will be VA VA VOOMin' throughout the house.

1 Dec - in a nutshell, I was told the offer was placed into a virtual hold and that nobody knew nothin' about nothin'...well, now ain't that somethin'. :eek: However, my order was solicited for the 'New Customer' promotion ($1/$5/6 mo) and that it would be forwarded to the 'Escalation Department' for approval. I actually received a call from VOOM two days later stating they approved my request, but the terms were ($49/$5/6 mo). No problem...until I asked about: my grandfathered status, if the $5 rental would include my existing STB, and if the $5 rental would be for the life of the contract or for just 6 months.

Crickets Chirping.................. :sleeo

However, I was told that someone would get back with me...but I never received that call. Also, since the details of the promotion were not, and are still not, published on the VOOM website nor readily known to many of the CSRs or their Supervisors, I asked that I receive a detailed e-mail explaining the terms and conditions of this offer in addition to having someone contact me...I never received that e-mail. Install was scheduled for Saturday 8-12, 11 Dec.

8 Dec and again on 9 Dec - call Installs Inc. and get the phone number to the local subcontractor. Since they in turn subcontract my install out to yet another subcontractor, I ask them to contact me in order to verify receipt of the VOOM receivers and confirm the installation date/time. Is this too much to ask? My weekend schedule was quite flexible, but I do have my fair share of work commitments and Christmas shopping. I just need to inform the installer how ridiculously easy I have made this work order and tell him that he can schedule his work hours around me and do the work at midnight if he so chooses... just need to know his schedule, pass along my cell phone number and verify that he is, in fact, in possession of the receivers. Ugh! Well, I am never contacted by the installer and the subcontractor cannot confirm receipt of the equipment. Subcontractor and subcontractor of subcontractor had my home phone, work phone, and cell phone numbers for 3 full days, yet I received zero (0) phone calls.

10 Dec - call VOOM and cancel installation since I have not received an e-mail or call from VOOM nor did I received appointment verification from any of the subcontractors. As you can tell, I have been burned by the VOOM installers in the past.

11 Dec - at 1:57pm I receive a call from the installer on my cell phone. He states that he is running late and that he is about an hour away. I informed him that I cancelled the appointment because I had not received confirmation from the installer (YOU) that the equipment was received and that you would be on time for your appointment. He told me he could still do an install or deinstall, but I explained that I was out with my family Christmas shopping and that he should have called earlier. Installer claimed that he didn't receive my Installs Inc./VOOM work order until Friday and that the work order was unclear as to whether this was an AM or PM install. Ok, I quickly pointed out to the Big Liar that I received an Installs Inc./VOOM work order via e-mail on the 3rd of Dec noting the appointment between the hours of 8am and noon. Plus, how the hell was he calling me on my cell phone when the only party I gave provide this information to was the one who hired him for the job? Yikes!

Yesterday - I had my VOOM service turned-off yesterday...however, the receiver will not be picked up until the 18th. Since my billing date is the 17th, the CSR told me that I would be charged for the next month of service and that VOOM would refund my account at some unknown point in the distant future after the equipment was returned.

Rant Mode: OFF

Believe it or not I really enjoy VOOM programming and like many of things they are trying to accomplish. However, the Good Ship VOOM is being captained by what appears to be Skipper & Gilligan; this ship of fools elects to steer into danger and is charting a course toward destruction. Hmmm. Is anyone running the show?

VOOM:

Change your stupid deintall/reinstall policy! If you're going to extend this offer to current customers without the requirement for them to first deinstall their service, then you had better put this information in writing! No offense, but your CSRs have little credibility in my house and I have little doubt that I would get socked with a $199 installation charge and perhaps wind up paying higher service rates and the base multi-IRD rental and mirror fees. Without first terminating service, you are asking us to enter into a contract with VOOM based solely on the word of your oft misinformed CSRs.

Send me, and existing customers, the F'ing receivers, multi-switch, cables and connectors and I'll/we'll do the rest. Personally, unless I see a VOOM work van pull into my driveway, I am inclined to keep my doors locked. How about this...if I need help, I'll call and you can bill me for service call?

Added the Unofficial to the title of the thread since there's nothing so far that have been said official from VOOM.

Can somebody assist me

Is the promotion $49.99 for additional 3 receivers and $49.99 for each additional after that.

Is the 3 receivers including my existing one.

I have 5 DirecTv receivers which I want to upgrade to VOOM. I have one VOOM receiver so I need 4 more.

one CSR said that I have to include my current receiver as part of the 3 so the extra 2 would cost me a $100 for a total of $150. I thought it was for the 3 additional and 1 extra would only give me $100...am I right or are they

Thanks for any response.

Hmm. I notice my bill is a little different now.

I noticed my bill was different this month. All of the $10 packages are now $10.33 and the normal $39.90 Voom is now $41.56

Anybody know what that all about? I was happy to see the $11 refund for the tax thing, but not happy to see an extra $3 on my bill. Still waiting on the $5 box rental, as my bill still says $9.50.

--Dan

dankgus said:
I noticed my bill was different this month. All of the $10 packages are now $10.33 and the normal $39.90 Voom is now $41.56

Anybody know what that all about? I was happy to see the $11 refund for the tax thing, but not happy to see an extra $3 on my bill. Still waiting on the $5 box rental, as my bill still says $9.50.

--Dan

That is Vooms way of thanking you for being a long term customer. Yep,... you guessed it. Your programming package went up by $10 per month and the STB rental stayed the same. That is where you will be until Voom raises their prices again in March. Happy New Year! :shocked

riffjim4069 said:
Ok, has anyone been able to find out what GRAND FATHERED actually means? Also, are the prices being increased $10 next month....even for GRAND FATHERED subs?

I found out being "grandfathered" is a longer word for screwed. Your package price HAS gone up by $10 per month on the Jan bill and your STB rental has remained at $9.50. The next logical choice would be disconnect then reconnect on the $1 deal right? Maybe add another STB? Fine! On another post a forum member has reported the fine print on the new deal is clear. The STB $5 fee is only good for the first 2 months of the 6 month commitment then the first receiver goes to $9.50 and the second receiver and 3rd, 4th, etc. goes to $14.50 each. Proceed at your own risk.

Indy said:
I found out being "grandfathered" is a longer word for screwed. Your package price HAS gone up by $10 per month on the Jan bill and your STB rental has remained at $9.50. The next logical choice would be disconnect then reconnect on the $1 deal right? Maybe add another STB? Fine! On another post a forum member has reported the fine print on the new deal is clear. The STB $5 fee is only good for the first 2 months of the 6 month commitment then the first receiver goes to $9.50 and the second receiver and 3rd, 4th, etc. goes to $14.50 each. Proceed at your own risk.
show me that in writing becaise i also looked at the agreement and i couldnt find it, that would just be another reason voom wont make it long term without being bought out by another provider

stevesmall said:
show me that in writing becaise i also looked at the agreement and i couldnt find it, that would just be another reason voom wont make it long term without being bought out by another provider

Jusrt lookat your Jan bill. Everyone is commenting on the increase of their Jan Voom statement.

"Grandfathered" to what if I may ask. Wasn't well known back in July 2004 that come January 1st there was going to be an increase of $10 to the packages. Why is this has become such a surprise? No one was promised anything. So I do not get where Grandfather meant that anyone was promised a guaranteed fee lifetime. :confused:

Sean Mota said:
"Grandfathered" to what if I may ask. Wasn't well known back in July 2004 that come January 1st there was going to be an increase of $10 to the packages. Why is this has become such a surprise? No one was promised anything. So I do not get where Grandfather meant that anyone was promised a guaranteed fee lifetime. :confused:

I agree, this is no news to me either.

However, I find the 2 month limit on the new customer promotion interesting. I didn't know that one.

-John

jgantert said:
I agree, this is no news to me either.

However, I find the 2 month limit on the new customer promotion interesting. I didn't know that one.

-John

I agree I find the new promotion very intriguing as to what happens after the 6 months are over but I have found not an official document or official statement that can state that it will indeed go back to $9.99. There's a lot of speculation that may become true but it is not yet firm whether this is to be the policy or not. We are trying to find out what is the meaning of all of this since we want to post it one way or another.

Sean Mota said:
I agree I find the new promotion very intriguing as to what happens after the 6 months are over but I have found not an official document or official statement that can state that it will indeed go back to $9.99. There's a lot of speculation that may become true but it is not yet firm whether this is to be the policy or not. We are trying to find out what is the meaning of all of this since we want to post it one way or another.

Sean, That is an excellent idea. From what I understand the wording is on the paper work the installer has you sign and leaves a copy with you? Anyone with the new paper work have a look yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)