Upcoming install, what should I expect?

satellite_crazy_bob

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 30, 2004
Massachusetts
Hi all,

Within the next ten days I'm having VOOM installed, after reading some of the messages here regarding equipment not being given to the customer is there anyone here that knows exactly what the customer should be getting from A - Z?

Thanks

THey showed up 1 out of 5 appointments for me, so don't hold your breath.

Don't expect the "free install" to be free!! !sadroll

Mine was almost $400.

It included a couple of things I had to buy -- wireless phone jack (connection required by Voom) and surge/sag protector. The labor included climbing a ladder to a second story wall and running cable under the house -- stuff that should be pretty standard for a satellite install.

Otherwise, I lucked out. They showed up the first time on the right day and right time, did a very neat job, and peaked the dish really well.

1080iBeVuMin said:
Don't expect the "free install" to be free!! !sadroll

Mine was almost $400.

It included a couple of things I had to buy -- wireless phone jack (connection required by Voom) and surge/sag protector. The labor included climbing a ladder to a second story wall and running cable under the house -- stuff that should be pretty standard for a satellite install.

Otherwise, I lucked out. They showed up the first time on the right day and right time, did a very neat job, and peaked the dish really well.
Hey 1080,

I recall seeing your original post about your install. I thought you had said your extra costs were $150? How did you get to $400? Just curious..

The surge protector certainly would not be expected to be included and the fact that you did buy one was a very smart decission on your part, by the way.
The wireless phone jack kit would also not be included either, but you needed one, just as DTV, TiVO or most any other provider requires for their box.

So, your installation was FREE, except the extra cost was for parts or special labor outside the standard installation any service provider would provide, and all of what extras YOU decided to have done or installed outside the FREE installation.

I respect your post, however to post in this thread as "what to expect", your experience and cost of your extras of what you needed or wanted, are not what should be expected by others.
Just my opinion.

sat4me said:
I respect your post, however to post in this thread as "what to expect", your experience and cost of your extras of what you needed or wanted, are not what should be expected by others.
Just my opinion.
Hmmm... I respect your post as well. But the whole idea behind a "free install" offer is to let a new prospective customer try the new service entirely at the risk of the provider. The provider is claiming they are so positive I will love their service they will even put it all in here for free, with no risk to me. For that offer to mean anything, it has to mean free for *my* situation. Instead, I was $400 into it before I watched one minute of Voom.

Sure, nobody forced me to buy the extra stuff. But let's get real, I wasn't in the market to buy a wireless phone jack that day. I wanted to *try* Voom, and I was offered a choice of running an ugly 25 ft phone cord along my walls and floor, or buying a wireless phone jack to do the job right, just to *try* the service.

"Oh, and you want the dish mounted on your roof? That will cost you extra." See what I mean? It was $150 for extra labor and about $250 for equipment.

It's only fair to inform the new guy (satellite_crazy_bob) that the "free install" offer is a bit misleading. If a provider is not going to take *all* the risk of a free install, they should not claim to offer it.

Fortunately, I really like Voom. So my $400 "free install" has been worth it.

1080iBeVuMin said:
It's only fair to inform the new guy (satellite_crazy_bob) that the "free install" offer is a bit misleading. If a provider is not going to take *all* the risk of a free install, they should not claim to offer it.

I respect your view and understand your side to this, somewhat, and on a limited basis, as VOOM did avail to you and everyone else what is included in the *free* installation. I fully expect the company that actually scheduled the installer out did somewhat of a *review* as to what to expect as well, prior to his arrival, I know they did because we had the same installation company, DishConnect, and they were very thorough in setting my expectations and explaining what was not included and I ASKED questions too. They also reviewed what OTA channels from antennaweb, that I MIGHT receive. I found that process awesome and VOOM when I ordered didn't review much of it, so perhaps it does depend on the installation company and installer.

If your intention is or was to *try-it-out* then the *custom* labor and special parts were not necessary and so I don't trust the inclusion of those items to be thought or assumed as *included* or should be provided by VOOM or any provider.

Newbies should best understand what is included PRIOR to signing up and if they don't agree to the terms, then so be it, it's a buyers responsibility to determine what the fair or proper value to anything *free* is. It's been made very clear to all that have email, what is included in the VOOM install. It's also posted as a link from the satellite-guy's.

Best advise>>> ASK THE INSTALLATION SCHEDULING PERSON OR INSTALLER ANY QUESTIONS AND ASK TO REVIEW WHAT THEY INCLUDE IN THE INSTALLATION, BEFORE THE INSTALL DATE AND WHEN THE GUY ARRIVES, BEFORE HE EVEN TAKES OUT A SCREWDRIVER.

sat4me said:
Best advise>>> ASK THE INSTALLATION SCHEDULING PERSON OR INSTALLER ANY QUESTIONS AND ASK TO REVIEW WHAT THEY INCLUDE IN THE INSTALLATION, BEFORE THE INSTALL DATE AND WHEN THE GUY ARRIVES, BEFORE THE HE EVEN TAKES OUT A SCREWDRIVER.
Totally agree!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts