Updated DirecTV HD Locals Launch Schedule: November->March (And PBS Launches)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
SD Additions:
Wilkes Barre-Scranton PA
SD Station Launch
WQMY Ch 53 (MNT)

Tulsa, OK
SD Remap Launch
KSBI Ch 52 (Ind)
Remap from Oklahoma. Station broadcast NBA Thunder games.

HD Additions:
Youngstown OH
HD Station Launch
WKBN Ch 27 (CBS)
Signal will change from SD to HD on the Mpeg 4 platform.

Philadelphia PA
HD Station Launch
WHYY Ch 12 (PBS)

Why are the PBS HD locals taking so long to launch? Major markets still don't have this channel. It could be 2050 by the time all the small markets have this at the rate they are going.

I emailed Alabama Public Television and they stated they have repeatedly asked DirecTV to put them up in HD but have not received any information on a timeframe and advised that we pester DirecTV to get PBS in HD.

I received a followup from Alabama Public Television, and they have received word from DirecTV that they will be in HD at least in Birmingham by the 'middle of the calendar year'.

Palm Springs HD

So Q1 09 ends shortly, so does that mean that those areas that are listed to have HD launches in Q1 09 will be going online soon? Has anyone heard of Palm Springs, CA going live within this month?

Here is an updated list from Directv's website about upcoming HD Local Lauches.

Bangor ME -April 09
Beaumont-Port Arthur TX -June 09
Butte-Bozeman MT -Q1 09
Dothan AL -April 09
Harrisonburg VA -May 09
Odessa TX -Q1 09
Palm Springs CA -Q1 09
Wausau-Rhinelander WI -Jan 09

That list still bothers me Bangor, ME is 153 on the DMA list and I live inRoanoke-Lynchburg, VA is 67 and they are getting HD locals before us that is just crazy.

That list still bothers me Bangor, ME is 153 on the DMA list and I live inRoanoke-Lynchburg, VA is 67 and they are getting HD locals before us that is just crazy.

Hey, be happy for us. There's not much up here (except snow and mud most of the year & mosquitos in the few days of summer that we do get) so at least let us have the option of a few more HD channels. ;)

Well little update I sent an email to Mercer, Robert G and he did reply this is the email.
RE: DMA Market 67?
From: Mercer, Robert G (RGMercer@directv.com) Sent: Tue 3/17/09 8:22 PM To: Christopher Richard
Sorry, I missed the Bangor listing. We obviously are launching that market earlier, but again it’s related to technical issues more than size of market.

Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:03 AM
To: Christopher Richard
Subject: RE: DMA Market 67

I’m not aware that we are launching Bangor. In any event we’ll be launching Roanoke in the third quarter of this year. Size is not the only criteria that we use to set the local market launch schedule. There are technical issues as well. Thanks for your patience. Robert

Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 9:56 AM
To: Mercer, Robert G
Subject: DMA Market 67

I just would like to know why you are going to be lighting up HD market 153 Bangor, ME before 67 Roanoke-Lynchburg, VA.

so least they are working on my area.

Blasto - It is often contractual issues that tie to a market launch as well. Usually the locals want extra for the HD rights, and often locals are owned by bigger companies. When a market has a few loclas that direct doesn't have an agreemetn with yet, that market will be lower on the list. Other times it is related to spotbeam availability (more spotbeams when D12 goes up later this year), or an upgrade needed to the local receive facility.

There's alot that can go into it, but there should be some emphasis on the larger markets that don't have HD locals yet, that is just common sense. One thing we don't have however is the knowledge of how many customers directv has in individual markets. Although a market may be DMA 70, it could be directv locals market 100 if their subscriber numbers are lower in that area ;)

Well I understand that but down in this area of VA very few if any have cable and OTA is a joke at best due to mountains if you don't have D* or E* you relay don't watch anything.

Some HD Locals Added Today:

HD Mpeg 4 stations launch.
Portland, OR
HD Mpeg4 Station Launch
KPXG Ch 22 (ION)
Mpeg 2 customers will see ION east remap. Mpeg 4 customers will see ION east remap and KPXG HD signal.

Salt Lake City UT
HD Mpeg4 Station Launch
KUCW Ch 30 (CW)

Salt Lake City UT
HD Mpeg4 Station Launch
KUED Ch 7 (PBS)

Wilkes Barre-Scranton PA
HD Mpeg4 Station Launch
WVIA Ch 44 (PBS)

I asked several days ago and have not received a response on the status of the Q1 launches. Some individuals have posted dates in April above, but as for a DirecTV response, we haven't one.

Here's the latest update: the following MPEG 4 stations have launched.

Charlotte NC
HD Mpeg4 Station Launch
WJZY Ch 46 (CW)

Charlotte NC
HD Mpeg4 Station Launch
WAXN Ch 64 (Ind)

Charlotte NC
HD Mpeg4 Station Launch
WMYT Ch 55 (MNT)

New (4/3) DTV Local Network HD Launch Schedule

Upcoming HD local market launches*

Bangor ME April 09
Beaumont-Port Arthur TX April 09
Butte-Bozeman MT May 09
Dothan AL April 09
Harrisonburg VA May 09
Odessa TX May 09
Palm Springs CA April 09

I don't know about the others on this list but Palm Springs is scheduled for 'on or about April 29th.'

*Subject to Change

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)