Updated feature requests for receivers (2008)

Network Link between receivers.

Since the vip's all have an internet connection, why not have them share Disk Space between them. That way anything recorded on one receiver can be viewed on another receiver on the account using the home's home network.

Derwin0 -
That is what many of us want. Not just that, but I would like to be able to access the hard drives from other receivers as well (such as the 211 or 222).

The 622 and 722 should not only be able to network with 211/222 models, they should also be able to use the tuners inside all ViP models on the home network to make recordings.

Get rid of the popup telling me that my dish remote is not set for satellite. At least make it optional.

I would like a feature that warns you if a program that wasn't normally supposed to record, will be recording and knocking off another scheduled program.
For example, last week CSI:Miami was on both Monday(normal) and Tuesday(special night). One of our regularly scheduled programs did not record, because it was bumped by priority. I would have liked to have known this somehow in advance, so I could have fixed it, and I could have recorded all 3 programs. Or sometimes the networks will change a programs night/time, and this will mess with the timers. I would like the receiver to notify us, that hey! a normally scheduled program is getting bumped.

His name is Cletus, thank you very much. And he took a lot of heat for that name in Junior High.

OK maybe I should have put a :) in there after that jab
At least Cletus (unlike me) knows how to spell his name...I hope
As for the double wide comment, they are useually some of the nicer trailers in the park.
But back to the original point ,of an advanced mode
I relly think its a good idea.
As an installer the last thing we need is more and more training of the user (its bad enough as it is )
training would end at the limits of "normal mode"
"advanced mode" could be given limited tec support like a printed or online manual or maybe you would be charged for csr calls (if in advanced mode), like you must have dhpp to get live support or somthing like that.
Dish is allways looking for ways to cut cost and calls to csr centers(hence the anoying 908 message)
we (dish calls us power users) get what we want and dish won't get a flood of idiot calls
Hell ,make all our dreams here come true and I would even be willing to pay for it.
A buck or two extra a month or a one time fee (to enable advanced mode) think about it .....would you?
many allready have to enable the external hard drive feature

Money not only talks....it screems
Are you listining Chucky?

Last edited:

2. When I hit "record", I want the DVR to record everything that has been on that channel since I changed to it. For example, we're 20 minutes into Lost and my kid comes to me to ask a homework question. I help him and now it's 40 minutes into the show. On my old TW Explorer 8300, if I hit "record", all of the episode would be recorded so I could go see the 20 minutes I missed.

+1

Also, I'd like the receiver to cache (buffer) while it's off. When I turn on the receiver I could then rewind to a time before I turned it on! (The receiver's never really off anyway.)

Native resolution passthrough. Please!:up
This had been promised a couple of years ago but never came to be. I can see problems with it. For example in the extended guide modes, there may not be enough resolution if the program is SD. Also, the display goes black while the new rate is negotiated.

A workaround for native resolution passthrough would be a way to change resolution on the fly without going into a menu. The resolution could stick until you select a new program or be permanent.

I'd settle for more aspect options (including undoing stretch-o-vision) AND better upscaling. Some SD programs look terrible (like they got interlace backwards).

1) Allow user to select how much hard drive is dedicated to Dish On Demand and other "hidden" recorded shows.

2) Schedule/delete recordings (and purchase PPV) with a web browser over the internet.

Integrate the external HDD with the built-in HDD in the DVR menu or at least make the external USB HDD menu the same and group into folders. (i.e. so i dont have 12 separate Planet Earth's)

Also would be nice to make custom folder to be able to move recordings into. (i.e. a "Movies" folder)

It would be nice if one could check their email on their receiver. Make it part of DISH Interactive and available only with a web-connected receiver. Two ways to set up. Either configure it like Outlook with SMTP and POP protocols or use with webmail. Would be cool to see an email alert while watching your show.

While we're at it, how about RSS feeds?

Simple, make the receiver a DLNA Server/Client. There are a lot of free servers/clients for Linux around (Mediatomb,TVersity,...). That way you could just connect the receiver to a network and all DNLA clients would be able to play the recordings (PC/XBox/PS3) and the receiver would also be able to play things stored in other DLNA servers (Windows Media player, Linux, Mac).

While program is recording (and user is watching it), have the ability to pick up where user left off in the recording if switching out of it for some reason.

As somebody who has lost recordings and timers due to a failed 622 a way to backup at least the timers. Actually just the timers is fine, have had to rebuild them from memory once, i keep movies i want etc archived on the external drive anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts