Updated feature requests for receivers (2008)

Remote playback

I'd love to have the ability to play programs on a second box which were recorded on the first box. The connection could be via wireless IP or using the Ethernet port. The second box could be a full fledged receiver or just a playback box (i.e. Sling concept). Then you could easily have a single 622 / 722 "power" a whole house full of HD TVs. Your only limitation would be the tuners in the box. As more homes get wired up, 100 MB ethernet becomes ubiquitous and has plenty of bandwidth for HD video at MPEG-4.

1. The ability to have multiple external drives connected to the 622/722 at the same time.

2. Seamless integration of external drives with the normal DVR menu/program list.

NightRyder

I'd really like to create my own folders to store programs and set up timers to automatically store to that folder. The usage I have in mind is to stash adult titles away from public view when company visits.

All the same organizing functions that exist on the main DVR should be available on the external drive and work exactly the same way. Folders please! Better yet make the external drive seamlessly part of the DVR program list.

Search should limit its results to the channel filter on your program guide. This way you would only get results for channels you actually get. (It would also be a way to allow searching on adult channels, something currently not possible.) Search results should appear in folders for each unique name. You can then open the folder to display each unique episode. If there are multiple showings of the same episode those would appear in a folder so I could easily find a particular show, episode and time.

Better program descriptions! Not really a DVR enhancement but most of the episode synopsis in the program guide are pretty poor. Look at the info in the TiVo program guide for an example of how it should be done.

I'd like to hit the play button when a program is playing to see how much time is left on a recording rather than having to pause it. This was a feature I used a lot on tivo.

I'd like to see them add a feature from the D* HR20 playbook: if you have overlapping timers on the same channel (due to padding), record the overlap on BOTH timers (so you briefly have two timers recording the same thing off of the same tuner; so you could theoretically have 4 timers recording at once). While not the end of the world, it's kind of a pain when the end of the Smallville recording is at the start of the Supernatural recording, or the start of Family Guy is on the end of the Simpsons timer.

I agree with the HD output for TV2. You would think that with all broadcasts to go HD by Feb. 2009 across the U.S. that it would be in their best interest to get going on these things.

I agree with the HD output for TV2. You would think that with all broadcasts to go HD by Feb. 2009 across the U.S. that it would be in their best interest to get going on these things.

Suppose to be digital, not hd in 2009.

How about an option to see all future first run shows and select from there which ones to record?

How about marking the guide to show new shows instead of having to select the show to see that info.

Page forward and back in the guide in addition to the 24 hour forward and back. (same as page up and down, presently.)
I usually jump ahead by choosing the number of hours then the "left" button.
i.e. move ahead 3 hours is "3" then "left".
Works the same for any number of hours like 4 days is "96" the "left"

I would love to see the ability to change modes via the remote.

I'd like to hit the play button when a program is playing to see how much time is left on a recording rather than having to pause it. This was a feature I used a lot on tivo.

Hit CANCEL. Will just show the ViewBanner and it shows "Time Left." Not sure if that is "Time Left" of the recording or the show.

How about adding another format on the remote to convert 16:9 stretched video back to 4:3. Many HD tvs don't have the ability to do that when viewing in HD mode. Existing formats like stretch, partial-zoom, and zoom only distort the already stretched and distorted picture even more.

How about adding another format on the remote to convert 16:9 stretched video back to 4:3. Many HD tvs don't have the ability to do that when viewing in HD mode. Existing formats like stretch, partial-zoom, and zoom only distort the already stretched and distorted picture even more.

Very good request! Except I would like it to zoom vertically the same way it zooms horizontally when you press it once. Since the 16X9 content is being stretched horizontally on some channels.

Another item DISH, so we've been told, is trying to figure out... could be soon, could be awhile... I'd suggest a 612 at each TV until then...
I have a receiver at each tv now, but I'd like to be able to watch recordings off of the receivers at the other tv's in HD instead of only in SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)