UPDATED - New Dish Pricing Info!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So lets see who gets hit the worst in this price hike on -just because we can - equipment fees.

Subs that have multiple duo tuner dvrs ( 622/722/722k) on your account will be hurt the most. At $17.00 a receiver the money really starts to add up. Five duo tuner dvrs times $17.00 =$85.00 extra a month. Subs with AEP will see a slight increase of $3.01 in their bill for the dvr fee , because the programming will go down by $2.99 a month over what it is today: $6.00 dvr fee - 2.99 programming decrease=$3.01. Subs with extra 612 receivers will fare a little better because they will see a decrease over what they are paying today. They will only pay 10.00 instead of 12.00 like today. A decrease of $2.00 .

So the remedy for all these changes? Drop off your account all extra duo tuner dvrs like the 622/722/722k after the first dvr. You can add simple solo tuner receivers like the 211k and pay the one time $39.99 software upgrade fee to turn your receivers into dvrs. But you will have to buy external hard drives to turn them into dvrs. Of course if you already had external hard drives attached to your extra 622/722/722k receivers, you could reformat those and use them with your new 211k receivers.

As for programming if you have AEP you could stay and pay only $3.01 more or you could drop down to top 250 and save the extra $40.00 a month . You could always go with Netflix for movies and or streaming movies at 9.99 a month. But I can't see dropping down in DISH programming, just to offset the increase in equipment fees, so you could keep multiple duo tuner dvrs. Less programming in exchange for more equipment fees? I don't think so.

OF course if everyone follows this idea, DISH will lose a lot of revenue off of AEP subs who will drop down to lower programming packs. Not to mention a drop off of all that equipment fee revenue as well ,when subs drop off their extra duo tuner dvrs and or trade them in for solo tuner receivers like the 211k. But that is business. IF Charlie wants to combine all his -JUST BECAUSE WE CAN- fees into one big fee, so be it. The subs should play along and offset his increases ,by decreasing their programming and dropping off their accounts multiple duo dvrs and or going with 211k receivers . That way your only equipment fees will stay what they are today : 7.00 per extra receiver and NO dvr fees.

NETFLIX ANYONE?

Good post and since I'm one of the AEPers with multiple Duo DVRs much of this is quite germane to what I've been contemplating. Yep...switching from AEP to Classic Gold w/ HD appears to be the route I am headed (plus adding the HD Roku Player and joining NetFlix). With the influx of Dish customers, NetFlix should see a bump in revenue beginning next month...

Your comment about trading a Duo DVR for a solo tuner receiver (e.g., a 722 for a 211k)... is this something easily accomplished? As in call Dish and set up such a swap? I've not had a need to consider such action in the past, but since Charlie is again changing the rules, I would like to know if "receiver swapping" is standard practice.

Thanks,

What 922 fiasco? I have one and I love it, the software has gotten real good over the past month.

They were thing of releasing it two months ago and it was terrible. The actually ended the beta program as they were going to release it and I honestly begged Charlie directly not to release it and he listened. In fact we traded quite a few emails on the subject.

Now while there are some small issues I give it my thumbs up for it's release.

I applaud dish and echostar for holding it back as I know they really wanted to have this released for the holidays.

I love my 922 and I know others are going to love it as well.

Scott. Please email Charlie and ask him NOT to simlplify the new prices. :rolleyes:

Send hin this thread and see if it gives him one big headache!!!

Not according to your first post! The package prices are going down a little. In my case, my AT250 w/DVR bundle INCLUDING LOCALS currently costs me $67.99. I just checked my last bill again and that's what it shows. Your 1st post shows AT250 WITH LOCALS at $62.99 after 1 Feb, which is a $5 reduction. DVR owners will see the w/DVR package going away, and a $6 fee tacked on for any DVR (excluding 50x's) on the account. So, people with one Duo or Solo DVR will see their bills go up $1.

That is correct. DVR Advantage programming packages will go down $5.00 and after the $6.00 DVR fee, the bill will go up $1.00. The problem is with customers with multiple DVRs. $17.00 per Duo DVR is a rip off.

There's a new pig in town, Dish Network:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post and since I'm one of the AEPers with multiple Duo DVRs much of this is quite germane to what I've been contemplating. Yep...switching from AEP to Classic Gold w/ HD appears to be the route I am headed (plus adding the HD Roku Player and joining NetFlix). With the influx of Dish customers, NetFlix should see a bump in revenue beginning next month...

Your comment about trading a Duo DVR for a solo tuner receiver (e.g., a 722 for a 211k)... is this something easily accomplished? As in call Dish and set up such a swap? I've not had a need to consider such action in the past, but since Charlie is again changing the rules, I would like to know if "receiver swapping" is standard practice.

Thanks,

I am not sure how the swap would be handled with DISH or if they would allow it even. But under dish n up part of the equipment page they tell you how much you would pay to have a new receiver. Besides if you feel outraged enough about the equipment price hike , you could be transfered to custom retention and work a deal with them over the receiver exchange. There are also online retailers you can buy a 211k from if you don't want to go the DISH route. Just buy one and send the other receivers back to DISH with the boxes they provide.

Thanks,

You would probably need to use the twitter team or the ceo email, but a swap down will not cost you any money (and if you specify it, no commitment extension).

(plus adding the HD Roku Player and joining NetFlix)

Can someone please comment on the quality of the HD content received through the HD Roku Player using Netflix, how good it looks on an HDTV?

Thanks,

I have been looking at ROKU's website and all the reviews are positive, something I'm not sure I believe.

Pricing.

Sorry But Satellite TV pricing is getting out of hand.
D* Premium at $114.99 is just Nuts
E* Hidden Cost and now DVR DUO fees are CRAZY.

Yeah you can say that again,i just know when i signed with dish about 12 years ago i don't remember this price increase crap every year or so,now instead of a programming increase this year(not that i want one) they come up with this equipment fee increase sh@t,so i guess next year we will be looking at another programming increase.:mad:

Can someone please comment on the quality of the HD content received through the HD Roku Player using Netflix, how good it looks on an HDTV?

Thanks,

I have been looking at ROKU's website and all the reviews are positive, something I'm not sure I believe.

In my opinion, it is lower quality than what you see on Dish. If you don't like Dish (or Directs) HD quality, the Roku will not please you at all.

Yeah you can say that again,i just know when i signed with dish about 12 years ago i don't remember this price increase crap every year or so,now instead of a programming increase this year(not that i want one) they come up with this equipment fee increase sh@t,so i guess next year we will be looking at another programming increase.:mad:

This is what happens when companies get big... Dish has become exactly what it poked fun at in the past... The Cable Pig.

It's called greed and once you get your subscriber base, you do it.

I only have one box in my house now (HD to both TV's though), so I won't be affected. But I will not upgrade to the 922, because I am going to let my current agreement play out and look at all my options after that.

Thanks,

Just a note about netflix since I inquired about this a little while ago, the cheapest tier only allows one stream at a time. So you can't watch on two tvs or on pc and tv at the same time. However, you can have 6 devices on one account, and with the higher packages you get more streams, so with the two disc at a time plan you get two streams and so on. My brother had it on Xbox for a while and we have fios internet and it worked great, the hd was comparable to fios hd on demand. but when the ps3 was able to do it as well we found out about the stream limit. Hope that helps some people because we had to call to find that out, it is no where on the site.

Thanks,

I have not used roku but the xbox hd pq is good if you have a fast connection. But you do have to pay for xbox live to use it. Its free on the ps3, same there, good connection good picture, and some blu ray players also have netflix, so i would look at other devices that can do more than just stream netflix imho.

Roku in HD looks very good. It's been a while since I had Dish, put it's as good or better than Uverse HD. SD stuff is very, very good and most is anamorphic wide-screen so it plays well on a widescreen HD set.

FWIW - Roku does do more than just netflix. It allows streaming of Amazon, Pandora, MLB, Flickr and several other 'channels'. They opened up the API, so I expect to see more options added all the time. IMO, it's a superb piece of technology for $99.

Roku in HD looks very good. It's been a while since I had Dish, put it's as good or better than Uverse HD. SD stuff is very, very good and most is anamorphic wide-screen so it plays well on a widescreen HD set.

FWIW - Roku does do more than just netflix. It allows streaming of Amazon, Pandora, MLB, Flickr and several other 'channels'. They opened up the API, so I expect to see more options added all the time. IMO, it's a superb piece of technology for $99.
I have been hearing a lot about ROKU but have not had a chance to play with one. So I am looking forward to going to CES and seeing what ROKU is all about. I know a few people here who have them and they LOVE them. :)

I am looking at getting Netflix and roku to take the place of movies with DISH. Hey for 8.99 a month , and you can get one dvd at a time and unlimited movies streamed to your roku box in hd, is a bargain. Now I will have to shell out some money up front to get the roku box , but it would be worth it when you consider the bill combined with DISH.

top 250 / $62.99 a month OR top 200/$ 52.99 a month and both include locals + 6.00 dvr fee + netflix for 8.99 and unlimited movies streamed to your house with an hd box sounds pretty cheap to me. Looks like a good bargain when you consider the premium movie packs for all 4 are $40.00 a month x 12 months =$480.00 a year - saved by NOT subbing to the premium movie packs .

Account Manipulation?

While reading through all this confusion I thought I would check my account, take a snap shot for future comparison and noticed that the order of my receivers has been changed.

It was:
722 Primary
625 Second (was going to upgrade to 722 in the Spring)
501 Third

Now it's"
625 Primary
501 Second
722 Third

Is this something that we should be concerned about in DISH manipulating things to garner a higher increase, or does it not matter?

If push comes to shove I'll dump HBO and Showtime and I have a ton of legacy gear lying around and will swap out the 501 for a 4000, since Grandpa has no idea what a DVR is.

While reading through all this confusion I thought I would check my account, take a snap shot for future comparison and noticed that the order of my receivers has been changed.

It was:
722 Primary
625 Second (was going to upgrade to 722 in the Spring)
501 Third

Now it's"
625 Primary
501 Second
722 Third

Is this something that we should be concerned about in DISH manipulating things to garner a higher increase, or does it not matter?

If push comes to shove I'll dump HBO and Showtime and I have a ton of legacy gear lying around and will swap out the 501 for a 4000, since Grandpa has no idea what a DVR is.

According to some posts earlier in the numerous clarifications in this and other threads, the highest receiver class in your house will become your primary receiver . So the 722 will be the primary and the 625 and 501 will be the second and third on your account after 2/1/10. You will still get hit by the $17.00 equipment charge on the 625 so you won't escape the charge whether it is 625 or 722 as primary receiver on your account.

I am looking at getting Netflix and roku to take the place of movies with DISH. Hey for 8.99 a month , and you can get one dvd at a time and unlimited movies streamed to your roku box in hd, is a bargain. Now I will have to shell out some money up front to get the roku box , but it would be worth it when you consider the bill combined with DISH.

top 250 / $62.99 a month OR top 200/$ 52.99 a month and both include locals + 6.00 dvr fee + netflix for 8.99 and unlimited movies streamed to your house with an hd box sounds pretty cheap to me. Looks like a good bargain when you consider the premium movie packs for all 4 are $40.00 a month x 12 months =$480.00 a year - saved by NOT subbing to the premium movie packs .

I bought a Sony Blu Ray BDP-N460 player that can stream Netflix movies and I love it so far. For $8.99 a month, I think Netflix is a good deal. I'm paying more because I added the Blu Ray option but so far I love this player and Netflix.

According to some posts earlier in the numerous clarifications in this and other threads, the highest receiver class in your house will become your primary receiver . So the 722 will be the primary and the 625 and 501 will be the second and third on your account after 2/1/10. You will still get hit by the $17.00 equipment charge on the 625 so you won't escape the charge whether it is 625 or 722 as primary receiver on your account.

My account has already billed into mid-Feb so any actual changes will be in the my next bill. So that's good if the order will revert to what you state. That is if they are going to start "Feeing" the higher end boxes. But I find it curious that since last month my order was changed. Just call me Gun-Shy. I don't think the surprises are over yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)