Upgrade gone bad

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

imfrompa

Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
I am trying to upgrade my system from a 18" round to the slimline. I have the Slimline 5 LNB SWM connected to a H21-200R with a B-band converter in line. I setup the 101* at 95% and finished the setup.

I was watching swamp people in HD. I turned on cartoons and went outside. When I returned the screen saver was flashing and I was told it had an error and went off. I went through the setup again and after some randomness I got the signal meter to register and it worked again for another 20-30 minutes.

The error message says.... And I'm paraphrasing.... "You need to download data updates, ok or postpone?".
If you click ok it reboots and starts up says almost there and goes to a black screen.

After a while I red button rebooted and get a 771 no signal. And reset up the unit.
Is there something missing in my setup... Do I need a splitter or power inverter in the line? This is a simple 1 reciever setup.
Thanks boys.

To add to what HI-FI said, if you don't use the 21 volt power inserter you can burn out the power supply in your H21.

To add to what HI-FI said, if you don't use the 21 volt power inserter you can burn out the power supply in your H21.

????

OP,
If you DON'T use the Power Supply, not signal gets to the LNB, the unit doesn't KNOW it's a SWM without the PS, if you tell it it's a SWM in the Set Up portion, the LNB recvs no voltage to it, before the unit is told it's a SWM, the recvr trys to send the standard 13 or 18 volts to the LNB, which it possibly why you have a signal on the 101 .
The LNB once it's told it's a SWM is looking for the added power, 21 or 29 volts depending on your set up.

I do not think you will have a signal on the 99 or 103 Sats without the PS. (could be wrong on this last part though, would like a confirmation if someone knows for sure.)

Once you put the Power Supply in the line and removed the BBC's and reran the Sat set up the Recvr sees the PS voltage and knows it's a SWM set up.

Not sure how you watched HD programming before you put the Power Supply in line as I don't think there are any HD channels currently on thre 101 Sat, the only Sat you should receive without the PS.

Jimbo, I'm guessing there is enough voltage in the receiver/dvr to get the lnb energized, but not enough to run it properly.

Jimbo, I'm guessing there is enough voltage in the receiver/dvr to get the lnb energized, but not enough to run it properly.
You mean not enough to run the SWM stuff ?
Thats the way I look at it, seeing the PS is adding at least 3 volts at minimum.

You mean not enough to run the SWM stuff ?
Thats the way I look at it, seeing the PS is adding at least 3 volts at minimum.

Yes, since the receiver/dvr only puts out at most 18 volts and the swm lnb needs 21, you could easily burn out the power supply in the receiver/dvr trying to run the swm lnb without a power inserter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts