Upgrade questions: D1000, ViP622

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
Hi, I'm back :) after an almost 20-month break from basically everything satellite & home-theater related. It was an unintentional break, but it wasn't due to any negative reasons.

But anyway, I would like to see what my options are, given my upgrade wishes (listed below).

My current situation is as follows:
  • I am a no-commitment DHA subscriber since 2004. I was installed with a SuperDISH-105 and a leased 522. I later added a 921 that I own.
  • I am in Dayton, whose locals are now on 129 but are still available on 105.
  • I subscribe to AT100+Locals (locals required in DHA) and the old-fashioned HD Pack for $9.99.
What I would like to do is:
  • Replace the SuperDISH-105 (and DPP34 I think) with a Dish 1000.
  • Replace the 522 with the ViP622.
  • Deactivate the 921 but keep it since I own it.
  • Replace the HD Pack with the DishHD package.
Caveats:
  • As would anyone else, I'd love to arrange for this with as little upfront expense as possible.
  • More importantly, however, is that would rather avoid any contract/commitment. So if avoiding a commitment involves a little extra upfront cost, that is fine.
  • I'd like to hold on to the 921, but if absolutely necessary (given the above two points) I can part with it.
Questions:
  • From some reading, it looks like Dayton customers can get a free Dish 1000 replacement for the SuperDISH-105. Is this true?
  • Would I be able to use the DISH'n It Up program? If I understand correctly, does that mean I ship them the 522, they ship me the ViP622, and after a credit, it costs me $99? BTW, even though it's free installation, I can install the receiver myself.
Thanks for any advice you can offer. :)

you might search for a thread here where I converted my SD105 to what I call a SuperDish1000 basically by repeaking it for 119/129 and zip-tied another DP dual to the side of the unused FSS for 110. That was a fun project and gets much better signal readings than what I've seen reported for dish500 or dish1000.

Here's a picture: http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=10597&d=1154651896
A few more pictures in my album here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3470
The thread is about 118.7 but also covers the superdish mod, just ignore the part you're not interested in: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=72834&highlight=poor+man's+dish

As for dish'n it up, every customer is different, logon to your account and see what the current offers are.

Last edited:
u should be able to get dish 1000 . and get 622. if you do not want commitment, u will probably gone have to pay for everything.....under Free For All Promo.

if you do DHA. you will get the 622 for 99 dollars. they should give the dish 1000 upgrade cause they are trying to phase out superdish all together.

Thanks for your comments. Pepper - I like your idea. :) But I think first I'll try seeing if I can get a Dish 1000 replacement for free and if not then I'll convert my SuperDish.

And thanks for the welcome, dfergie. It's good to see a lot of the old names from "back then" still active on here.

Welcome back Tux!! Glad to see you're getting back into the mix. :)

You should be able to get the Dish1000 dish for free since it should come with the 622 anyway, and all new HD is on that bird.

I called and the guy said the Dish'N It Up $149 fee covers the ViP622 and D1000 to replace my 522 and SuperDish, but said there has to be an 18 month commitment. I asked how to get by without the commitment and he said I can if I buy all the new equipment... My "little extra upfront cost" clause above doesn't quite cover $479+$89 (or somewhere in that ballpark). I'll probably just bite the bullet and do the 18 month commitment anyway.

I'm not sure if you can get a 622 and the $20 HD package with the DRV advantage package, but you might ask dishnetwork about it. But it does say with the dvr advantage program you must have an 18 month commitment _or_ credit card autopay/EFT payments for existing customers. On rechecking dish's website it does say you can add the $20 HD package but you would have to check about getting a 622 and hopefully free installation. It does say you get 200 channels plus locals for $49.99/month plus $20 for the HD package (but it also says it's only $39.99 for 12 months for the dvr advantage.)

This is what it looked like to me. You might want to check with dishnetwork about it.

I looked into the DVR Advantage promotion, and apparently that doesn't include any equipment upgrades... so that left me with Dish'N It Up or buying the stuff.

I decided to do the Dish'N It Up, and was installed Wednesday. That went fairly well (though the guy was somewhat clueless about a lot of this stuff). My Dish1000 is a much cleaner installation than my SuperDish was. :)

Everything works well too. Except for some reason the UHF remote will not transmit (or will not transmit correctly) when set to the A frequency band. I set it to use the B frequencies and it works fine. I do know it's the remote, because the other two UHF Pro remotes I have were received fine by the receiver, and they are both using the A frequencies.

Just one additional, sorta unrelated question. Dish Network's website lists National Geographic Channel HD as a "premium". Yet I can't find anywhere on there what package(s) it is part of, nor how to order it if it's ala carte or whatever. So... how does one get National Geographic Channel HD?

To get the National Geographic HD channel I'm pretty sure you have to get the programming package the SD National Geographic channel is in which is the Top 250 or Everything Pak. Of course you also have to get the HD package.

Last edited:
You can turn your 105 dish to 1000 + for about $50
Just get the 1000+ LNB assy, use the 110 and 119 LNBs from 105 assy for 110 and 129. Just hook the 119 part of the 118/119 assy to your DP34
All you need to do is drill one hole to put the 1000+ assy in place of the 105 assy and reaim the dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts