Upgrade to Hopper/Joey, EHD Prep?

My Hopper was installed this morning, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to view programs off my EHD. I even called Dish and asked Tech Support, but they told me I couldn't view directly from EHD. He nicely walked me through how to copy programs from EHD to Hopper, and I pretended to play along - but knew not to actually try it because of problems others had reported.

Later while playing around with Search, I found if I set the source to My Recordings (yellow button), made sure there was no Theme Filter selected (blue button) and cleared any text from the Search box, my EHD contents showed up in the results area. Clicking on a show lets me watch it directly from the EHD without having to transfer.

Is this how it works for everyone?

I'm not at home right now, but from what I remember from this morning is that my EHD was listed in the banner bar next to the red DVR banner, in the DVR screen. It showed Livingroom 1, but when I click on it, it drops down to external device 1. Click on that an all my EHD recordings are there. BUT it didn't show up until I reset the EHD.

Thanks ICBM99 - I will try when I get home and see if I can access the EHD recordings that way. Playing around some more last night and this morning I found that the Joey will play recordings directly from the EHD, but Hopper will not. If you try from the Hopper nothing happens, and when you try to go back to DVR or Live TV the screen is blank until you change the channel or bring up the Guide. I thought this meant the programs somehow became corrupted during the transfer from the 722, but when I moved one back to Hopper it played fine (knock on wood).

This doesn't just happen with programs moved from the 722 - this morning I moved a program I recorded on the Hopper to the EHD and it also would not play directly from the EHD.

The EHD is an old-ish Western Digital MyBook Essentials 500GB. I wonder if the Hopper doesn't like certain types of HDD? There is something else odd about it, too: there are two blue activity LEDs on the front of the MyBook. They light sequentially when the drive is in use - first one, then the other. From the time the installer connected it to the Hopper, both lights have been lit solidly and continuously, at all times, except when I am copying things to/from the drive (then it goes back to sequential). Anyone else have experience with the MyBook and seen anything similar?

Thanks ICBM99 - I will try when I get home and see if I can access the EHD recordings that way. Playing around some more last night and this morning I found that the Joey will play recordings directly from the EHD, but Hopper will not. If you try from the Hopper nothing happens, and when you try to go back to DVR or Live TV the screen is blank until you change the channel or bring up the Guide. I thought this meant the programs somehow became corrupted during the transfer from the 722, but when I moved one back to Hopper it played fine (knock on wood).

This doesn't just happen with programs moved from the 722 - this morning I moved a program I recorded on the Hopper to the EHD and it also would not play directly from the EHD.

The EHD is an old-ish Western Digital MyBook Essentials 500GB. I wonder if the Hopper doesn't like certain types of HDD? There is something else odd about it, too: there are two blue activity LEDs on the front of the MyBook. They light sequentially when the drive is in use - first one, then the other. From the time the installer connected it to the Hopper, both lights have been lit solidly and continuously, at all times, except when I am copying things to/from the drive (then it goes back to sequential). Anyone else have experience with the MyBook and seen anything similar?

Have you tried a red button reboot or hard reboot, unplug? My EHD does not show up all the time(known problem with S230). Does the My Book have its own power supply?

So far I haven't had any issues playing recordings directly from my EHD. I haven't even had to power cycle it, after the initial install. Its weird that you can play them off the Joey, but not the Hopper. I'd try what Thomas has suggested, a reboot may be in order. For those of us that don't know what is a Red Button Reboot?

You can reset the reciever multiple ways. A red button reset is just the process of pressing and holding the red reset button until the reciever reboots. The red reset button is behind the door on the left of the front panel.

You can reset the reciever multiple ways. A red button reset is just the process of pressing and holding the red reset button until the reciever reboots. The red reset button is behind the door on the left of the front panel.

I didn't even think to look behind the door! Duh. Not that I need to reset, but it's good to know.

No reboot was needed. I just needed to navigate to the EHD recordings the right way, by choosing "External Device 1" as the source from the DVR screen. This works from either the Hopper or the Joey. All is now well again, thanks for your help.