Upgrading System

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Byrdman

Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I have a DTV 18" single lnb dish with an OLD 303A receiver. I want to upgrade to receive our local channels and also add a receiver for a second room. I would appreciate any input on the best RCA model receivers for the job. I don't need anything fancy. So, I need 2 new receivers and a new dish- I GUESS! Thanks for the Help!

If you have any thoughts about going to HD and live in one of the top 12 TV markets you might just want to wait a bit since you'll need a new dish and STB that receives 5 different satellite slots.

I have several RCA receivers DRD430RG and a couple dual LNB's that are not in use currently. Also have a 3x4 multi swicth if you want to add receivers later on. PM for details, if you are interested.

Might be able to call DirecTV directly and get a good deal on some new receivers. 800-600-8977 is a good number to call.

Sorry, Forgot to tell you where I am located. I'm in Wilmington, North Carolina.

If you're upgrading to a new receiver because your current one can't get locals, DirecTV will do this for free. This happened to me a year ago and I was told I could get a free SD receiver or an SD-DVR for $49. I talked them into giving me the SD-DVR for free because I've been with them for a long time. There's also some great deals being offered on the HD-DVR if you're interested.

By the way, why do you want an RCA receiver? I've been burned by RCA so I try to persuade everyone away from RCA products. And that's putting it nicely.

-JustBob

All you can get now are Directv branded receivers, no private labels anymore. But receivers with manufacturer 100 (D10-100) are made by RCA.

I have had no trouble with the old 303A model receiver. My only beef with RCA is the total lack of customer support. I have no idea how the new receivers are holding up, that's why I have asked the experts.

The d10-300's are much better then the 100's.
you'll probably need a new LNB with dual outputs assuming yours is a single.
there's no need for a multi switch just run the line for the second receiver off the LNB.
Make sure both the lines and the ground are running into a ground block and the block is grounded.

Byrdman said:
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I have a DTV 18" single lnb dish with an OLD 303A receiver. I want to upgrade to receive our local channels and also add a receiver for a second room. I would appreciate any input on the best RCA model receivers for the job. I don't need anything fancy. So, I need 2 new receivers and a new dish- I GUESS! Thanks for the Help!

I believe the RCA 453 handles Dolby Digital and was the top of the line. I don't have any experience with RCA receivers, however. I personally prefer Hughes, and I upgraded to a GCEBOA from a Philips receiver. You could purchase RCA and Hughes models used from the Ebay, but I saw one satellite dealer's website offering some NEW ones for sale. I don't recall the URL though.

Whatever you get, I recommend you get one that can handle Dolby digital so you have some home theater options. I'm leary of the Directv receivers from comments I've read on the web.

j c

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts