Upgrading To HR-54/C61k?

No thats why its such a stupid setup!....The HR-54 is the HD end, the C61k (k as in 4k)...I have a few friends that have the HR-54 side by side with the C61k...The 54 not outputting 4K was stupid.
Yes, it was quite a stupid design ...
Seeing D* refused to come out with a recvr that merged the HD and 4k into one unit, the least they could do is DROP the extra $7 fee ...
But then again, look at all the money they are raking in because there are people that want to see the little 4k that is available ...
I think its the 4k Sports everyone is tuning in to ....

So far its been sporadic, but I think its picking up ...

Yes, it was quite a stupid design ...
Seeing D* refused to come out with a recvr that merged the HD and 4k into one unit, the least they could do is DROP the extra $7 fee ...
But then again, look at all the money they are raking in because there are people that want to see the little 4k that is available ...
I think its the 4k Sports everyone is tuning in to ....

So far its been sporadic, but I think its picking up ...

It only affects people with one TV, and they could get an HS17 to avoid that extra $7 fee. Sorry, there's just a handful of malcontents on satellite forums that care about this. There is not some groundswell of Directv customers all complaining about this who are going to get them to change their minds.

Directv has FAR bigger issues to worry about, like how to stop losing a million customers every quarter.

Reactions: comp9 and raoul5788
when i called i was told a 400.00 upgrade fee for my genie 2. well that went over well. i told them that they were insane for making me pay for crap i didn't own. then i told em that i was told that the genie could stream 4K all over the house and it only allows one 4K stream :mad: . i told em i was promised a genie 2 under my old acct with was a disaster. but the teach was a freaking dead ass and didn't want to install it or i would get another lazy ass that didn't want to park by the alley a safe spot as well.. so i filed an FCC report and got my way!!! my situation is different is different than yours your millage may vary..

i little tidbit i heard that tech support can do the upgrade free..
let us know how you make out
BTW i heard they might be coming out with another box with google assistant built into it.. the 4K thing just aint worth it to me

Can you swap free upgrades? I think my last one was used on getting a minI? However, I didn’t know I was getting the reverse band lnb.

Can you swap free upgrades? I think my last one was used on getting a minI? However, I didn’t know I was getting the reverse band lnb.
i got swapped out for free. but like i said my situation is different than your's. i have a revers LNB to. i would complain and tell em why don't they offer 4K on there poorly built website that might do it i dunno... you might also need a power inserter for that LNB i did but i have a long ass coax run and the box could not do it...
my thing is i was lied to by a rep. i was told that the genie could stream 4K all over the house:rolleyes: we went to watch 4K on to t.v.s and the genie told us something about maximum streams just for watching one 4K tv..they should have set us up with a genie 2

i got swapped out for free. but like i said my situation is different than your's. i have a revers LNB to. i would complain and tell em why don't they offer 4K on there poorly built website that might do it i dunno... you might also need a power inserter for that LNB i did but i have a long ass coax run and the box could not do it...
my thing is i was lied to by a rep. i was told that the genie could stream 4K all over the house:rolleyes: we went to watch 4K on to t.v.s and the genie told us something about maximum streams just for watching one 4K tv..they should have set us up with a genie 2
The tech installed the latest power inserter.

This one is black and the other one was grey and said SWM 8 and 16 only.
There are two power inserters, 21 and 29 volt. The swm16 requires the 29 volt model. The 21 is used in most other applications, but the 29 can also be used everywhere, especially with long cable runs to the dish.

All newer recvrs need a Power Inserter to power the dish lnb , some models have them built in, others don't ... not sure why, but you need the power for the LNB regardless of where its coming from.

The Genie can stream all over the house, just 1 stream though ...
Wait, I thought the HS17 allowed 2 streams.

2 Genies on an account is not allowed .... for some reason.

All newer recvrs need a Power Inserter to power the dish lnb , some models have them built in, others don't ... not sure why, but you need the power for the LNB regardless of where its coming from.

The Genie can stream all over the house, just 1 stream though ...
Wait, I thought the HS17 allowed 2 streams.

2 Genies on an account is not allowed .... for some reason.
i had a HR54/700 on my very first install and the power inserter in that thing is complete crap as it's not strong enough for long coax runs!!! yep the genie can stream all over the house just not the 4K like i was told it would by the rep at the time wich requires me to have a genie 2 for two t.v.s!!! the HS17 allows 2 4K streams and the genie only one stream at a time...

i had a HR54/700 on my very first install and the power inserter in that thing is complete crap as it's not strong enough for long coax runs!!! yep the genie can stream all over the house just not the 4K like i was told it would by the rep at the time wich requires me to have a genie 2 for two t.v.s!!! the HS17 allows 2 4K streams and the genie only one stream at a time...
You say you have a Genie 2 ?

Heres the trouble with that .... Its not a Genie 2, its a Client (if you have 4k , it should be the C61k) ... I'm not sure why they call it a Genie 2, it make you think you have the 2nd version of the Genie.

First version of the Genie was the HR34, 2nd was the HR44, then the HR54 and finally the HS17.

You say you have a Genie 2 ?

Heres the trouble with that .... Its not a Genie 2, its a Client (if you have 4k , it should be the C61k) ... I'm not sure why they call it a Genie 2, it make you think you have the 2nd version of the Genie.

First version of the Genie was the HR34, 2nd was the HR44, then the HR54 and finally the HS17.
i dunno why they call it the genie 2 LOL. to me it's just a server for the mini's... nothing more than a triangle box!!! and my HR 54-700 the one with the power button in the middle was what they set me up with the first time i no longer have it since that install was a disaster and they let me run!!! the last genie they sent me was something from 2015 or 2016... it was slow and sluggish laggy at times.. so i upgraded since the genie 2 has a better processer in it. they need to call it something else i agree that i think of a genie when i hear or say genie to LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)