upload and download

cfkillers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
pg county, maryland
i have a couple questions.im switching to fios at the end of the month i have a question about their internet technology. when i had comcast i had around 6mb download and around 1mb upload. but whaen someone was uploading from me it slowed down my download speed. is this a problem with my computer not being able to send and receive information at that high of a speed? or is it the cable connection? does fiber optics solve this problem?

generally the two don't play that much of a roll for each other.. though if you're visiting sites you do need some bandwidth to make the connection and ask for the page before downloading will begin.. that might be where you're seeing a performance hit..

You can always limit or throttle the people downloading from you (or what you're uploading to them) if its a website or one of those p2p software apps..

when someone was uploading from me it slowed down my download speed. is this a problem with my computer not being able to send and receive information at that high of a speed? or is it the cable connection? does fiber optics solve this problem?
It's a common problem with ethernet and the handshaking protocols used for file transfer.
DSLreports has discussion on tweaking your computer settings to optimize throughput.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts