Usage after demise: Hacking receiver's and DVR's firmware for something else?

Corrado is right, it's not real sophisticated, but it works real good. I don't remember if it will timer record or not, but seems like it does. Trouble is, I didn't really need it, my FTA rx has OTA interface and DVR, so I just tested it and put it away and now can't remember where I put it. Makes me mad, and it happens all the time: I find great places to put stuff, then can't remember where I put it, dang it!
It does use a thumb drive for DVR, but if I ever need it I think I'll use the Orby drive and power it separately to see if that works?
Thanks! Just ordered the one from Menards before seeing the links for the ones on Amazon. At least I have options ;)
And I think I'll start looking for a standalone USB case for the toshiba hard drive in the orby dvr. Thanks guys!
ps - Skyscanner, I thought I was the only one who found good places to put things and then forgot where I put them. At least I'm in good company, lol.

Thanks! Just ordered the one from Menards before seeing the links for the ones on Amazon. At least I have options ;)
And I think I'll start looking for a standalone USB case for the toshiba hard drive in the orby dvr. Thanks guys!
ps - Skyscanner, I thought I was the only one who found good places to put things and then forgot where I put them. At least I'm in good company, lol.
No, I think there are more of us than will admit to it. A few years ago I wrote a sort of funny little item that I used to include in the birthday cards I sent out. I was going to paste it in for you but.... I can't find it! I think it's on my laptop at home. I'll look for it when I return in a couple days. Generally deals with finding stuff "right where some idiot left it after I was done with it" LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: FTA4PA
No, I think there are more of us than will admit to it. A few years ago I wrote a sort of funny little item that I used to include in the birthday cards I sent out. I was going to paste it in for you but.... I can't find it! I think it's on my laptop at home. I'll look for it when I return in a couple days. Generally deals with finding stuff "right where some idiot left it after I was done with it" LOL.
OK, found the item I torment my friends with on their birthdays....

"I actually look forward to birthdays and growing older. The older I get, the fewer things it takes to make me happy... which is good because I can't remember where I put 'em anyway. And if I do stumble across them, it's usually days later, when I forgot what I was looking for, or why I wanted it, and right where some idiot left it when I was done with it.
The joy of rediscovering what I forgot I had or where I left it, is equal to the joy I had when I first got it. Yes sir, I tell you, it's just like my birthday and Christmas rolled into one every day around here." cm

OK, found the item I torment my friends with on their birthdays....

"I actually look forward to birthdays and growing older. The older I get, the fewer things it takes to make me happy... which is good because I can't remember where I put 'em anyway. And if I do stumble across them, it's usually days later, when I forgot what I was looking for, or why I wanted it, and right where some idiot left it when I was done with it.
The joy of rediscovering what I forgot I had or where I left it, is equal to the joy I had when I first got it. Yes sir, I tell you, it's just like my birthday and Christmas rolled into one every day around here." cm
I can relate to that!

Reactions: Skyscanner
I’m still looking for a couple things I safely put away....

One is a battery tester. The other- well, I’ll remember eventually.

So,I had orby tv the day or should I say the early morning the picture froze. Anyway, not the point. I find myself doing that all the time as I get older. I too am getting old and have a lot of “safe places”, that I no longer remember where they are at or what I put there. Now, back to the point. My orby DVR still works perfectly for OTA channels with working EPG. Timer and series record still work as well. The “cable”shows I had recorded before they shut down still play. Now the point, I had to unplug the DVR and thought this would surely kill it but it did not. I read in another post if you have to reset the box it will not go past the searching for sat signal. I guess this is more of an FYI. If I had a question I forgot what it was. LOL

So,I had orby tv the day or should I say the early morning the picture froze. Anyway, not the point. I find myself doing that all the time as I get older. I too am getting old and have a lot of “safe places”, that I no longer remember where they are at or what I put there. Now, back to the point. My orby DVR still works perfectly for OTA channels with working EPG. Timer and series record still work as well. The “cable”shows I had recorded before they shut down still play. Now the point, I had to unplug the DVR and thought this would surely kill it but it did not. I read in another post if you have to reset the box it will not go past the searching for sat signal. I guess this is more of an FYI. If I had a question I forgot what it was. LOL
Unsure how to solve your issue but do not reset the box or you will be stuck at the setup screen searching for an Orby satellite signal that does not exist any longer. I had it happen to one of ours before. Completely locked up so I reset it. The Orby signal was still there then but I lost all satellite channels and had to have Orby customer service resend the authorization. I have four boxes here, regualr not dvr, that we use for over the air and have been waiting for the day that one (or more) lock up on us. Now, with Orby out of business, there will be no help on their end. :(

I tested my new out-of-the-box ORBY TV DVR satellite receiver. This is a new receiver that I purchased from Best Buy back in February 2021, and did not get around to getting it activated prior to ORBY TV’s shutdown at the end of that same month. I was able to complete the installation menus today, successfully locked on ORBY’s old satellite transponder at 116.8 degrees W. And my DVR is functioning now, without any previous activations from ORBY TV!

Reactions: k.r.
I successfully locked onto ORBY’s old satellite transponder 11940 vertical polarity at 116.8 degrees W today, with my ORBY TV DVR satellite receiver, purchased in early February from Best Buy. And my DVR is functioning too, without any previous activations from ORBY TV! There are three FTA channels there now- NRBTV, GODTV-1, and REVIVAL-2M. These same three channels also successfully scanned into my FTA satellite receiver today. There is not a program guide for these three FTA channels on either receiver. So check it out, and give it a try.

Reactions: k.r.
Ex-ORBY TV satellite receiver is coming back to life. There are now seven FTA services, as follows:
Channel 102- NRBTV
Channel 103- GODTV
Channel 105- REVIVAL TV
Channel 106- CBN-NEWS
Channel 111- CBN-FAMILY
Channel 112- INSPIRATION TV
Channel 114- LIVING-FAITH
These last four were added sometime today. It is interesting that these new FTA channels are getting slotted in between the former ORBY TV channel numbers.

I am a automotive Tech, and gettinng up there in age. Not unusuall to walk across 5 bays to my tool box, only to have no idea what I went there for. I call it CRS, {can't remember &hit}
Well, I am a Field Service Engineer that works on Opthalmic Lasers (Lasik Lasers) and I will look for a tool for 15 minutes that's right in front of me...if it was a snake, it would have bitten me -

Well, I am a Field Service Engineer that works on Opthalmic Lasers (Lasik Lasers) and I will look for a tool for 15 minutes that's right in front of me...if it was a snake, it would have bitten me -
Are those lasers arf, krf or something else? I have many years of experience with very specific wavelength DUV lasers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts