Using FTA Dish with a Dish Network Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
I'd rather not buy another dish network dish and I was wondering if it would hurt or is it compatible to use my current FTA dish 36 inch with a Dish Network receiver. Will it hurt hooking the receiver via the cable that runs to the HH motor? Which satellites are on the Eastern Arc? I see most of the channels I would like to subscribe to are on 72.7w. Are the LNB the same Ku? or do I need a Ka lnb. My cable company is never gonna go HD apparently.

Is the dish going to stay put? If so yes it will work

I use a 36" for Dish 129 for a couple reasons
-rain fade
-the "locals" I subscribe to I'm on the edge of the spotbeam so the stock dish is real low signal

You need to switch to a circular LNB. If all you want is 72.7 then a simple Directv LNB or Dish Network LNB will work. I used an old Directv LNB (from the 18" days) and it works fine. I aimed the dish with my FTA receiver then hooked the cable from the LNB directly to the receiver

EA is 61.5/72/77. 77 for most folks is useless as it carries the Spanish channels and some local markets. 72 is mainly the HD satellite

If you want the best of both worlds, then an Invacom QPH-031 would be a great LNBF to use as it has both Circular and Linear capability. You get the most use out of your dish this way.

While that may work the Dish receiver will go crazy as its always downloading guide info etc

moving off of a Dish sat will screw with the receiver

Can you quantify how much less rain fade there is?
really dont know. As with anything KU Band the larger the dish the longer it will hold out during dark clouds. The main reason I have a 36" there is due to the locals. I am a "mover" and get Duluth, MN locals in Minneapolis which is on the fringe of the spotbeam. On the stock Dish 1000.2 dish the signal is around 34-35 (Dish meters are goofy...you can keep a signal down to 15 or so and 70 is usually the max)....the 36" its up near 56-58. I also have a non normal setup (but what else would you expect) ;)
I have the Welcome Pack with Dish which the only HD I get is when there is a freeview (you cant add HD to the WP)

Would there be any further benefit going larger than 36"?
maybe a few extra to 15 seconds of signal.

While that may work the Dish receiver will go crazy as its always downloading guide info etc

moving off of a Dish sat will screw with the receiver

Hmm.....I remember that now been a while. Might just stick a Dish Network dish above my FTA dish if I can figure out how to mount it. Its gonna look weird. lol

If the cable goes through a dish motor, wouldn't that confuse the DN receiver? I know those things run all kind of 'switch' tests at times. "Would the DN receiver say 'Foreign switch detected-this receiver will self-destruct in 30 seconds?'

I don't know anything about the receivers/dishes for the eastern arc for DishNet, but I do remember (way back when) I converted my legacy DishNet to DishPro (bandstacked).

If you need two birds to get all the transponders required for your subscription, I'd want to use DishPro LNBFs and a matching switch (DP34?)
If a single LNBF will actually get by, then I'd still want a circular bandstacked (DishPro) hooked up.
Ya might want to get input from the DishNet sub-forum here, on the matter.

I strongly endorse the separate dish idea, as the DishNet receivers -need- constant reception, or they do strange things.
Should be able to find any small dish and outfit it with one or two circular LNBFs to get the job done.

I strongly endorse the separate dish idea, as the DishNet receivers -need- constant reception, or they do strange things.
even with constant reception they can do weird things ;)
Should be able to find any small dish and outfit it with one or two circular LNBFs to get the job done.
yep even a simple 18" dish can be worked with for 110 & 119 or in this case 61.5 & 72

All the Dish Network dishes, LNBFs, switches, cable, etc I have were either given to me or found along the road. There is so much turn over that this equipment can be found seemingly everywhere for free. I learned that their receivers don't like a mixture of equipment. If using Legacy or Dishpro or DP+, keep it all the same.

I like the DP+ because it works with long cable runs.

For a while I was using my FTA receiver to move the dish while connected to one of the linear outputs and a DN receiver connected to a circular output. I did fine with the delays, it was far from instant channel change, but it worked for me.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)