Using oscilloscope to point dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Elektrobot

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Well, I've got the Super Dish 121W built- and am going to mount it on a fence post 5 feet off the ground, but don't know what sat I should aim for first. Does the dish name "121W" mean it is skewed to pick up only 121 and 119? -sorry, I know my newbieness is showing-

Also, can I use an oscilloscope to aim the dish- or do I need to buy a new meter?

I don't have a receiver yet- but the weather here is so nice that I'm really itching to get out and do something with the dish. If I could get something done with an oscilloscope- it would be fun.

thanks for any info

While it would be possible to use a 'scope along with other equipment to do a preliminary alignment of a dish, the list of hardware and procedure would be lengthy and tedious.
One part of the problem, is supplying power to operate the LNB.
It's just the wrong tool for the job.
In the end, your result would be no better than using a $10 satellite meter.
In a practical world, you really want to have a receiver.

Also, the superdish isn't exactly what I'd recommend as a first dish.

Which satellite(s) and what programming were you interested in getting ?
Here is a concise list of the Ku-band FTA satellites and programming.
There are other more in-depth lists, but this'll get you an idea.

An oscilloscope is not really the right tool, it displays signal voltages, what you want is a spectrum analyzer it displays a spectral composition of the frequencies, this would show active transponders and there signal strength.

Thanks for the fast replies

I guess I will just mount the dish on the post today to get it off the garage floor, and wait to go any further until I have appropriate equipment.

As far as what programing I would like to receive- programing isn't my goal with this dish really. I am thinking of this as my "learning" dish. I just want to pop it around manually, point it at different sats- learn what I am doing- and then, UPGRADE:) and hopefully be able to get every FTA transmission available!

Thanks for the link to ftalist.com, and thanks for all the great info in this forum.

Thanks for the fast replies

I guess I will just mount the dish on the post today to get it off the garage floor, and wait to go any further until I have appropriate equipment.

As far as what programing I would like to receive- programing isn't my goal with this dish really. I am thinking of this as my "learning" dish. I just want to pop it around manually, point it at different sats- learn what I am doing- and then, UPGRADE:).

:confused: Well what the other guys say is correct!! FYI: A spectrum analyser is best suited for Satelite internet installs, and isnt required to trap a bird your seeking!!! Also you cant play W/ your dish untill U get a reciever so as to power up your LNB's as well as for transponder changing as these need a voltage levels of 15 & 18 Vdc or a 22Khz tone to switch properlly!!! Get your IRD first and then start trapping birds to get practice, There is nothing to upgrade too!! Unless U want or need additional requirements other than just viewing TV !!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)