Uverse Internet

dottierae

Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Georgia
I have standard internet with AT&T and have recently been informed Uverse internet is now available where I live. I currently have a Netgear R6300 router with 801.11ac. The modem Uverse supplies is 801.11n. First question- why does Uverse use an older protocol? And second, is it possible to route the Uverse modem through my Netgear? I know Uverse provides faster speeds but will I suffer streaming quality loss if I switch to the Uverse modem? My Netgear really streams my HD films well with no problems. One final question- I also noticed Uverse specs list OS Snow Leopard for Mac compatibility. I'm on Mavericks and am about to go to Yosemite when it's available. Will these be compatible also? Thanks for any input.

802.11ac is a new standard which is an improvement over Wireless N. I don't think it is an official finished standard yet but many companies are adopting whats out there now anyways.

You will notice there are not a lot of AC products out there currently and this because the standard is not finalized.

Your Uverse internet is not going to slow down because of Wireless N. I have wireless N at home and a 150MB internet connection and wireless N does that speed without issue. Uverse internet speeds are a lot lower than 150 mb/s, so it won't be an issue.

And yes Uverse works with Macs, even Yosemite, in fact I am using it now. :D

802.11ac is a new standard which is an improvement over Wireless N. I don't think it is an official finished standard yet but many companies are adopting whats out there now anyways.

You will notice there are not a lot of AC products out there currently and this because the standard is not finalized.

Your Uverse internet is not going to slow down because of Wireless N. I have wireless N at home and a 150MB internet connection and wireless N does that speed without issue. Uverse internet speeds are a lot lower than 150 mb/s, so it won't be an issue.

And yes Uverse works with Macs, even Yosemite, in fact I am using it now. :D

Thank you for your reply Scott. I appreciate your help!

I just saw this. Yes, you can route your internet from the Uverse modem to the Netgear. There is a setting within the Uverse modem. You can also turn the 11n off if you like, but you won't be able to view all the channels through a computer or tablet unless you use the Uverse wifi. Your private network will be viewed as external.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts