Vacation Home Service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dndkpj

Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Virginia
To be clear- I am not looking for guidance on how to steal service. A friend told me he had a dish and receiver at his vacation house that are on his home account. He pays only the receiver fee for the vacation house. I am buying a vacation house so it sounded like a good idea to me. He isn't sure if he cleared it with Directv- he has had it for several years- and doesn't want to ask them to find out.

Is this an option? If so, how do I go about doing it? It seems ideal since I won't be using the second set up that often. Thanks in advance for any responses!

To be clear- I am not looking for guidance on how to steal service. A friend told me he had a dish and receiver at his vacation house that are on his home account. He pays only the receiver fee for the vacation house. I am buying a vacation house so it sounded like a good idea to me. He isn't sure if he cleared it with Directv- he has had it for several years- and doesn't want to ask them to find out.

Is this an option? If so, how do I go about doing it? It seems ideal since I won't be using the second set up that often. Thanks in advance for any responses!

You can have one or more receivers and move one between the two houses, no one will know or care. You will need another dish for the vacation house, obviously. You shouldn't have one at each home in use at the same time, though. It's highly unlikely you would get caught, but it is against the terms of service in your contract. One thing to keep in mind, the two homes must be within about 100-200 miles of each other for you to get the local channels at the second one.

You can have one or more receivers and move one between the two houses, no one will know or care. You will need another dish for the vacation house, obviously. You shouldn't have one at each home in use at the same time, though. It's highly unlikely you would get caught, but it is against the terms of service in your contract. One thing to keep in mind, the two homes must be within about 100-200 miles of each other for you to get the local channels at the second one.

Also , don't connect the phone line to the recvr at the vacation home ....

What you are asking about is account stacking and is not allowed by Directv. If you bring a receiver from home each time you visit the vacation home it is a gray area but still violates terms of service.

What you are asking about is account stacking and is not allowed by Directv. If you bring a receiver from home each time you visit the vacation home it is a gray area but still violates terms of service.

IF your only using it at one location ?

I think they are trying to avoid people sharing with others ..... If I have 5 recvrs and give them out to my friends to use, thats account stacking.

I have one in my home and one in my RV , thats NOT account stacking.

just move the receiver between the house and the cabin. We've been doing that with Dish for 10 years now. Bought a 2nd dish and hooked it up there. Very easy to do but dont tell D* and dont plug it in the phone line :)

They may not know but they would care.
Also remember that your location can be determined by your IP address.

I've actually had work orders where 1 rec. is in cust. living room and other is in RV
Also vacation homes - customer stated they just had to inform directv when it was in Wisconsin and when it was in Illinois
But still a grey area

I've actually had work orders where 1 rec. is in cust. living room and other is in RV
Also vacation homes - customer stated they just had to inform directv when it was in Wisconsin and when it was in Illinois
But still a grey area

It's not a gray area if they are telling Directv they are moving it.

Without a court order an IP address will only show a general location. Often hundreds of miles away from where you really are. With proxy servers, satellite hosting, etc. it can be totally different. I know several people that have "moved" but still have their boxes connected to the internet with no problems. A phone line is different.

Wouldn't they look for a common IP address for all receivers hooked up to the internet? If they did not match a common address then it would trigger something if hooked up to two different areas?

I think the only reason to notify Directv of relocating to a vacation home is to avoid FCC violations by receiving the wrong locals if the vacation home is in a different DMA

Does Directv turn off the locals if its in a motor home?

Does Directv turn off the locals if its in a motor home?

you technically have 2 options
1. dont say anything and get screwed when you go outside the spotbeam of your locals
2. if you tell them its a RV they require you to get a 2nd subscription to get the distants. Its been posted a few times that now they require it on a separate account

Wouldn't they look for a common IP address for all receivers hooked up to the internet? If they did not match a common address then it would trigger something if hooked up to two different areas?

I honestly don't think DirecTV cares. Your scenario is a possibility, which could be remedied by not connecting to either the internet or a phone line at a vacation home. However, you could on turn off the internet connection at the primary home before leaving for the vacation house if you really wanted to connect the box to the internet....

Thats why it's always mentioned to NOT plug in the phone to the recvr.

Why would anyone hook up thier internet to the recvr at the vacation home ?

Both Dish and Direct would consider this a violation of the service agreement. Do people do it? Certainly all the time.

I personally have no problem with the customer taking a receiver with them and using it at the vacation home. Infact many people will call for a dish mover to get the second home setup. Then they just call and change the address when ever they go to the vaction home. Thats fine, and I don't belive either satco has a problem with it.

What they do not like is having a receiver or receivers at both locations at the same times. Infact it is my job as an installer to report this if I find it. As such the extra receivers are reported not onsite, and they are shut off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)