VBOX7 ? Is it real, or a knock off? It doesn't say VBox7 anywhere!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yes it is very serviceable. The MCU has decent enough code running. It is just the workmanship mostly. Something could stand to be beefed up. Start with replacing that relay most likely if it is that warm.
Trace the tracing coming from the transistor array to the west relay and put a an analog meter on it set for more than 12V. See if the needle jumps as you hit the west button. If so most likely the relay.
Would not hurt to replace the diode across the relay coil while your at it.
That what I am talking about. You rock. Now I have a direction to go. You sure made me feel good when you said that. OK, I am on a mission now... Thank you so much for your help. I know enough to at least stay out of trouble, and know not to go too far without adult supervision. Lol!!! T

I've got one of those that looks the same on the outside as yours and mine doesn't say Vbox 7 on the outside either. Never had it apart so I don't know about the inside. I've been using mine on my Raydx dish system now for about a year without any problems to date. Knock on wood BTW!

I do have a Vbox X (WSI brand) that is giving me some problems with the memory, ie, when I turn the power off on it it will loose all the locations that were stored in it and I have to reload them again. If I leave power on it works fine so that's a work around for now.
That is correct that it will lose memory in the unit if the power is disconnected, and it is designed to do that. It is suppose to go into standby with it plugged in, and turned off, but turned off and unplugged will kill the memory after about 5 minutes or something like that. When you turn the unit off, does a little LED stay on? T

I'd put a resistor LED across both relay coils to see if both relays are getting the GO signal. Go from there.
I don't think I have one, but I'll look. I have some LED's tho. I wish I knew more about all this stuff. This is frustrating. I didn't plan on my dish mover going out on me so soon in this process. I had just got everything set, and then this. Trying to get the Titanium ASC1 through my financial adviser would be a chore right now, and I can't say as I blame her. If I could order a new board for it, I would, but they are probably not something that you can get. I fixed my Flat screen TV by buying a new control board that had a problem, but I wouldn't know who to contact. I need to see where to get these relays to start with. I got the relay to seat down on the board now, and have been looking for any solder connections that might be touching on the bottom of the board. I did see one solder connection on back that I thought might be digging into one of the traces on the west side relay, but apparently it wasn't since it still wasn't working after I cleaned it up a little bit. I would be willing to buy one of the boards from the pile of them someone said they have accumulated. I just don't know that much about electronics. I just have a basic understanding of components, and theory, but I'm just not that knowledgeable about what to test, and how to test it. Because I know that some components can not be tested in circuit, because I'm getting continuity both directions on "DZ2" Zenor diode, and I thought voltage only travels one way in a diode, but there again, what do I know? T

because I'm getting continuity both directions on "DZ2" Zenor diode, and I thought voltage only travels one way in a diode, but there again, what do I know? T
When testing a part such as this in circuit, you may get a reading both ways. Only way to check for sure is to remove it. My guess is that relay. If it comes down to it, I have one of those relays I could send you.

Yes, it is like a Standby LED.
Yeah, I think it's supposed to hold the memory in standby, but why the unit would not hold memory might be an IC issue maybe. I sure wish I would known about these forums before I started all this. I would have been alot better off. I learned now not to read reviews from the place you are buying a product, and to read other reviews from other sources first. This VBox was supposed to be the "Heavy Duty" unit also. OK, what was supposed to be heavy duty. Apparently not the relays.LOL T

www.digikey.com probably has, if not the same manufacturer, an equivalent.
any #'s on "DZ2"? Zeners should test like a regular diode, in most circumstances. If your VOM applies over the zener voltage things go awry. If it's across the relay coil (parallel) maybe that's why it doesn't 'go'. (shorted? same reading in both directions o the VOM on the part?)

That is correct that it will lose memory in the unit if the power is disconnected, and it is designed to do that. It is suppose to go into standby with it plugged in, and turned off, but turned off and unplugged will kill the memory after about 5 minutes or something like that. When you turn the unit off, does a little LED stay on? T

Well, that may be the way it's "suppose" to work, but I've never seen that in print in the manual??

I've got 2 Vbox X movers and one Vbox 7 mover and up until one of the X units started loosing memory 2 weeks ago ALL of them were completely disconnected every night via the power strip when I shut the systems completely off. Now the two others, ie, one X and the 7 BOTH still get the power disconnected every night around 10pm and aren't powered back on until around 10am the next day and they aren't giving me any memory problems. In fact, that Vbox 7 sometimes isn't turned on for a day or two and it's never lost memory.

And yes, the little LED says on after I press the off button on the receiver then it stays on until I turn the switch off on the power strip.

These movers I have are about 3+ years old and may be "old" stuff and that may be the reason they are different from yours.

Agree with Lone Gunman. I purchased my Vbox7 back in 2013. I unplug mine whenever there are storms, at least for several hours and sometimes overnight, and have never lost the memory. In fact, the manual lists a procedure to clear memory (unplug, hold power button down, plug in, wait for unit to count from 10 to 1 and memory is cleared). Could be the newer ones are made cheaper (hence the high fail rate). If so, I hope my 'old' one keeps chugging along. (Oops, I went a jinxed myself :rolleyes:)

When testing a part such as this in circuit, you may get a reading both ways. Only way to check for sure is to remove it. My guess is that relay. If it comes down to it, I have one of those relays I could send you.
Well, I was wondering if I had some somewhere in my things, but I'm not sure what the value is, so let me look, and if I can't find one, then maybe I could send you a gift card in trade. I'm just not that versed in this stuff. +-------------------------------------------------------------
A bad solder joint could be easily fixed. Worse case would be if the relay leg lifted off the board and took part of the circuit board trace with it. Should be fixable either way.
Yeah, I heated up the solder joints and lowered the relay onto the board, but did not remove the relay first. I wonder if I should just go ahead and remove it now since it didn't fix it, and it doesn't seem to work anyway. Could my Actuator have caused the problem, or is it a matter of crappy components. Hopefully not both! T

Remove the relay. place ohmmeter on the relay coil connections of the board. Continuity both directions? YES- remove diode that's across the coil - replace. Check coil resistance.. Think it should be somewhere around 500 ohms. (common for a 12 v low power relay)
Doubt your actuator did anything 'bad'.

Well, that may be the way it's "suppose" to work, but I've never seen that in print in the manual??

I've got 2 Vbox X movers and one Vbox 7 mover and up until one of the X units started loosing memory 2 weeks ago ALL of them were completely disconnected every night via the power strip when I shut the systems completely off. Now the two others, ie, one X and the 7 BOTH still get the power disconnected every night around 10pm and aren't powered back on until around 10am the next day and they aren't giving me any memory problems. In fact, that Vbox 7 sometimes isn't turned on for a day or two and it's never lost memory.

And yes, the little LED says on after I press the off button on the receiver then it stays on until I turn the switch off on the power strip.

These movers I have are about 3+ years old and may be "old" stuff and that may be the reason they are different from yours.
Probably, as everyone is saying the latter built units are getting worse and worse. If I can't keep this working if I even get it fixed, I'll just have to hold off on all of this until I can afford to do something else. Maybe I'll just have to take off the actuator, and just mount a hand crank to it, and count the turns from Point A to Point B... LOL The next thing I'll probably have to do is to climb a telephone pole to use the phone LOL When I brought the Actuator in the other night to troubleshoot the problem, I couldn't find anything wrong with it, since it worked ok when connected to the mover, it just wouldn't work in the opposite direction unless there was voltage going to it. IE Reverse M1/M2. Theres just no voltage coming from the west side relay. It's clicking, but no voltage. Does that tell me something that it is clicking like the other relay, it's just that there is no 37vdc coming out. Could the big Diode be bad on the front of it like some mentioned. I had forgot to tell them it was clicking still, it just seemed to get warmer when cycled. But after I seated it down, it appeared to not really show a tendancy to warm up like before, but it never did really get that much warmer, just a bit more than the other. It's hard to explain, since pointing a lazor temp. gun at a component isn't the best way of testing. I just tried it as an initial test of anything that might just stand out before going into a more extensive testing such as desoldering and testing values. That starts getting into my level of competancy. LOL T

Agree with Lone Gunman. I purchased my Vbox7 back in 2013. I unplug mine whenever there are storms, at least for several hours and sometimes overnight, and have never lost the memory. In fact, the manual lists a procedure to clear memory (unplug, hold power button down, plug in, wait for unit to count from 10 to 1 and memory is cleared). Could be the newer ones are made cheaper (hence the high fail rate). If so, I hope my 'old' one keeps chugging along. (Oops, I went a jinxed myself :rolleyes:)
Thats right, you are correct. That is how I cleared my memory in this unit to see if maybe my limits were messed up, but after all that, my voltage test to the unit pretty much explained that problem, but yes, thats how it said to do it. I get too many specs in my head, and need to look before I speek. I should do more learning than teaching. I'm not really sure of anything at this point...T

Remove the relay. place ohmmeter on the relay coil connections of the board. Continuity both directions? YES- remove diode that's across the coil - replace. Check coil resistance.. Think it should be somewhere around 500 ohms. (common for a 12 v low power relay)
Doubt your actuator did anything 'bad'.
OK Lets see here.
www.digikey.com probably has, if not the same manufacturer, an equivalent.
any #'s on "DZ2"? Zeners should test like a regular diode, in most circumstances. If your VOM applies over the zener voltage things go awry. If it's across the relay coil (parallel) maybe that's why it doesn't 'go'. (shorted? same reading in both directions o the VOM on the part?)
Well, should I start with just replacing this relay to start with, and go from there? Would it be possible to use a more beefy relay for the 36vdc needed? Or just replace the same value and chock it up to just a bad relay. These are SUPERJACK brand, but I would gladly pay for a couple high quality relays, or whatever else to make this unit more reliable! They are marked for 24v, but op. voltage is 36. Thanks!!! T

OK Lets see here.

Well, should I start with just replacing this relay to start with, and go from there? Would it be possible to use a more beefy relay for the 36vdc needed? Or just replace the same value and chock it up to just a bad relay. These are SUPERJACK brand, but I would gladly pay for a couple high quality relays, or whatever else to make this unit more reliable! They are marked for 24v, but op. voltage is 36. Thanks!!! T
I still need to get the relay off, so I'll check that as soon as I do. Thank You so much for your help! I need to work on my honeydo list, and I'll be back to get after this. I'm so happy to have friends to steer you in the right directions, cause I'm real bad about asking questions, and you either get someone that has no idea what you are talking about, much less caring... You folks rock! T

Looks like COIL Voltage is 12vdc. (replacing it with a higher coil voltage unit aint going to work) Load looks like it can be anything up to 240VAC. 10amps @24VDC derate a little for 36volts, so 8amps @ 36vdc. It's plenty heavy. Bet OMRON has one that's identical. (Pin connections on it)
vboxRspec.jpg

DC12V - coil voltage (nominal voltage to make it 'switch')
LOAD specs: (what you can 'run through it')
10A/120VAC - max current @ 120 VAC
5A/240VAC -(makes sense, double voltage=half the current for = power) Pwr = voltage x current
10A/24VDC
A=Amps
VAC = AC voltage
VDC = DC Voltage

If you are into auto parts/repair, power door lock modules use those same relays. My Subaru has a "Door Lock Timer" unit with those relays. Funny thing is those relays in that unit are made in Germany. Surprised me alright

! have no west drive after all limits have been cleared. Is this even a real VBox7 or a knock off. I got it from Amazon (Smartie Store.) It said it was a VBox7, but nothing on the unit says that it is. I took the top off, and the fuse is OK, but the work inside is a little shoddy. The relay was not seated down to the board when it was soldered. I have operated a solder wave machine before, and it is not brain surgery to get all the components to lay down on the board properly before they are soldered. That already makes me wonder. I can replace a part if I know which one to replace. If that will fix it. Otherwise, I'm going to be S.O.L. for a dish mover. I'm not going to keep buying crappy stuff, and be forced to buy the real expensive mover. (ATC1). We don't want to just keep throwing money into this venture. It's fun until you run into crappy products, and then it becomes more trouble that it's worth. It seems that the industry is all the same. Keep buying and buying and nothing holds up to any work anymore. I bought the dish mover about 3 months ago when we had a little extra money, but the warranty period was already in use before I even used it. I guess I should have waited to buy it before I was going to use it. "My bad I guess". Then my warranty would have been good still. You can't win for losing. More storms hit our area, and just about took a tree down into the house, but got lucky, and was able to take the tree down before the next storm wave came through. It also did a number on my OTA antenna for the TV, but it's still picking up channels, and will get it back together tonight. It's just so blasted hot outside, you can't get anything done. Can anyone tell I'm having a bad go of it? LOL For what it's worth, Thanks for listening, and if anybody knows what I can do, please fill me in. One way I tested this was to end up using a voltmeter to test the black/Red Leads for M1/M2, then reverse the leads on the voltmeter to establish that the East drive put out 36vdc temporarily until the ER2, and there was no voltage outside the West drive. Is it the Relay thats bad?. I sent you all some photo's to review... Thanks folks, and I'll just hang loose until we get this figured out. Tom
It seems that most of this FTA satellite equipment is pure junk,I've had my share of it,right out of the box.My latest problem is a new geo sat pro receiver.I have two in service that work fine,the third one I just got seems to have a weak reciver in it.Unfortunately buying a product that cost more doesn't seem to be the cure either.It's a shame because this is a fun hobby,it's always the same old stuff,return it,it needs new firm ware,or another excuse is,it's something in your system causing the problem.Bla,bla,blaWe all wish there would be quality products,and some of us are not afraid to pay for quality products,there are just not much available on the market today.We now live in a throw away world,get your trash can out,most of the stuff you buy in this hobby will be in your trash can,sooner than later.Good luck

Exactly, this is why I stopped selling them, and then my source DMSI, stopped carrying them period. Was getting a return on every other one. :eeek
Got a small pile of those things.
Would you be willing to make me a deal just for replacement parts.LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)