Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
As you might have seen overnight (and into this morning) we had some issues here on our servers.

I was able to fix our issues but noticed another issue...

In trying to figure out the issue I disabled the vBSEO and instantly the issues went away... in addition the load on the server dropped by almost 70%.

vBSEO is a program that turned the urls to posts to search engine friendly urls so for example the Server Slowness thread is now a url like the following:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=207347

Now with VbSEO on it would look like... http://www.satelliteguys.us/satelliteguys_operation_center/t=207347-Server_Slowness.htm

Unfortunately for now that feature is gone, I have put in a ticket with the vBSEO guys, so hopefully they can fix it... but if they can't its ok as too as I said by turning it off the server load dropped A LOT! :)

Thanks for your support!

I for one will be hopeful that the feature is restored, eventually. - :up

I have a couple pages of links in the long-name format.
My posts contain a lot of links into the forum, (typical example) and use the only format available at the time.

The current work-around does take you to the first post in a thread.
For clarity, especially in long threads, I link to specific posts, often in the middle.

As for server loading, I'm thinking the external-site lookups are far larger percentage of time the average user notices.

Please let us know once the decision is made on which way to go. - ;)

Scott, just a heads-up. You're probably losing lots of link-juice by having vBSEO turned off. I tried to access the forums for the first time in a while this morning and was told I was trying to go to dead pages since all of the pages in my history and bookmarks are to the SEO pages. Less tech-savvy visitors might just assume the site is dead and leave.

Back on now. :)

With the server issues we had over the past few days we turned off anything that we knew could cause a load on the server. This included vbSEO.

Now that the folks at Cpanel finally figure out what was borked on the server I have been enabling the features back one by one.

A big thank you to Gary Stanley of Cpanel his hard work! He spent a good long time working on things after all the other Cpanel support folks had given up! And finally figured out the issue!

We will be down a little while today as the new hard drive is installed. I would expect that the system to be a little slower then normal while the new drive is mirrored into the raid.

Thank you again to everyone for their patience!

Back on now. :)

With the server issues we had over the past few days we turned off anything that we knew could cause a load on the server. This included vbSEO.

Now that the folks at Cpanel finally figure out what was borked on the server I have been enabling the features back one by one.

A big thank you to Gary Stanley of Cpanel his hard work! He spent a good long time working on things after all the other Cpanel support folks had given up! And finally figured out the issue!

We will be down a little while today as the new hard drive is installed. I would expect that the system to be a little slower then normal while the new drive is mirrored into the raid.

Thank you again to everyone for their patience!

Good deal, and I love it when Snoopy dances!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Think everyone is just glad they figured it out, the other stuff is incidental.

Damn hard drive failures, first kills my DVR then my favorite web site :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts