Versus Salesman

finniganps

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Last night a AT&T versus guy was walking our neighborhood soliciting. He asked who I had and what I was paying for phone, TV and internet. I told him and he paused and tryed to pitch versus as he acknowledged I would have to pay quite a bit more to get it. His main advantage was I could watch HD in every room and watch any program in any room (I can't with what I have now). Then he proceeded to explain the virtues of their DVR without any pause for changing channels or delay since it was fed through fiber (vs. satellite). I explained that I had heard a lot of problems with their DVR's and declined. I haven't actually seen their boxes though.

Can others share their opinions on the AT&T versus DVR and how it compares to a Dish 722?

Thanks!

Versus=Cable TV Channel

Uverse=AT&T Television Service

Not from experience, but I've heard that you can not pause/rewind/ff from other than the master DVR. I've heard nothing good about their DVRs.

I just told the guy that stopped by me what I was paying, and he was gone. I might have signed up for their internet, but they refused to sell anything but bundles.

I just told the guy that stopped by me what I was paying, and he was gone. I might have signed up for their internet, but they refused to sell anything but bundles.

I believe the Uverse DVR is pretty friendly and stable, but I've never heard nor had any positive experiences with ATT's customer service. Absolutely, positively the worst company ever when it comes to that, whether it is TV, internet or home phone.

Miner

Yeah, he really toned the pitch down when I told him what I was paying....I think their cheapest package was about $150 which is about 20-30%% more than what I currently pay. With the competitive environment I wonder how they compete with satellite.

My parents have u-verse. You can only pause live tv on the actual dvr box, not any others. They have more problems with freezing screens than anyone. You have to tell them up front and make sure they understand how many HD sets you have so they can provision for that many. Otherwise, you can only watch HD on one set at a time since the default provisioning is for one HD set and 3 SD.

With uverse you can only record one Hd stream at a time. You cannot add OTA locals and record them on the DVR through the program guide.

With my 722K, OTA module, and an external antenna I can record 3 HD streams simultaneously.