Viewsat Ultra & Hughesnet 40" dish/lnb

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thebilgey1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 4, 2013
Bahamas
I have a Viewsat Ultra that I am trying to set up for FTA with a Hughsnet 40" round dish. I think the dish is actually a Winegard. I am using the two way LNB that came with the Hughsnet package, I have disconnected the transmit side. Can anyone give me the setup for the Viewsat, i.e. LNB type, LNB high and low.
The Viewsat Ultra doesn't have a manual scan. I have an auto scan and a blind scan.
Thank you.

A picture would help.
The LNB is most likely 10750 for the LO (local oscillator)
Problem though, it only receives one polarity, not both.

Thank you Anole. It's dark here now, I'll take a pick tomorrow and post, but I think you're right.

Pics

Here's my dish setup.

DSCN2130.JPGDSCN2129.JPGDSCN2127.JPGDSCN2128.JPG

That's a real nice 1m dish, on a first rate mount.
Any setup meant to transmit, is top quality.

What other members have done with that assembly...
- Measure and record the exact location and angle of the feedhorn
- remove everything from the LNB support arm
- install a regular LNBF
...or...
- remount the original feedhorn, and...
- bolt a suitable LNB to it

There are pictures on the forum showing both ways.

I'm getting a few channels! Does anyone know what satellite MTA news is on? I was trying to tune to 91W Galaxy 17.

Do you mean MTA, the Muslim Television network? You can find it on 30W, 87W and on 113W, Ku-band. I don't think it's on C-band.

northgeorgia, I guess that's what it is. I'm new to FTA, and I was trying to find 91W. So I might be hitting 87W you think?

Sounds like it. On 91 ku this is whats FTA:

12010 V 11574
(
3/4)

Channel Name
Video Pid
Audio Pids
Language
PCR
Provider
Encryption
Last Updated
tv.jpg
NewsOne Live 1
8/01/2012
tv.jpg
ABC NAC CH2
8/01/2012
Looks like your getting the V transponder as MTA is V on 87.

Yep...as schlever said, it's likely you're on 87W. Are you getting any other channels on that satellite? If so, what are they? :)

Probably too dark to bother right now in the Bahamas, but if you're on 87W, you just need to move it ever so slightly to the west, and you should be at 91W :)

Thank you schlever, I'm gonna try some more fine tuning tomorrow. I'll post my results, because I know there are peeps who are interested in if a Hughesnet dish with original LNB will work for FTA.

Reactions: drg
Yep...as schlever said, it's likely you're on 87W. Are you getting any other channels on that satellite? If so, what are they? :)
Then we can confirm it's 87W (as opposed to the other two possibilities).

Otherwise, can you tell us what the frequency and polarity is for MTA?

Channel 2001 - MTA One/ 12238 8332V 2/3
" " 2002 - MTA +3
" " 2003 - Arabiya
" " 2004 - InfoCast

Probably too dark to bother right now in the Bahamas, but if you're on 87W, you just need to move it ever so slightly to the west, and you should be at 91W :)

Thank you, yeah it's dark now - 10pm - but I'll try some more tomorrow and post results.

With that symbol rate and those channel labels, you are most assuredly on 87W. However, your frequency is way off. I think your L.O. is set incorrectly in your receiver. It should be scanning in at around 11737 and not 12238. In addition, you should be getting more in that mux...

English
Arabic
Bangla
Francais
Urdu
German
Main

However, they're all the same video as MTAOne, just with different Audio PIDs. Perhaps its something in the way the Viewsat scans?? Don't know. The only other Vertical that I know on that satellite is the Florida Channel, and for me, it's a bit weak coming in anyway.

Are you planning to put on a regular LNB? You're missing out on all the Horizontals!

Check the label on your lnbf - you might have one already that does both polarities. The Hughes dish I have, which was the generation before yours, had a regular linear lnbf on it, works just fine for fta tv. >They called it 'Direcway' back then, dish is a little on the small size for fta but it does get most everything a 1m gets. Fine tune 87 before you move the dish, and scan ALL , see if it picks up anything on the H side.

Hi guys, got started late tonight.
I'm now getting a satellite that has only Baltimore, Atlanta, Kansas, Seattle, Dallas, etc.- no video or audio, but good signal and quality. About ten channels. I have no idea for sure what I'm hitting, but I'm pretty sure I need to change the LNB. I have a Directv Slimline LNB set and a Dishnet Turbo HD set. Do either of these have a linear LNB on them by any chance?
Thanks,
Bill

OK, just found out, I'm on 89W. Gonna try some more tomorrow. I'm off, so I'll have some more time. I'll post my results.
Oh, is Galaxy 17 still on 91W?
Thanks again,
Bill

thebilgey1 I used a slimline before its small but you have to look up my mod slimline mod where I used a superdish lnb inplace of the directv dish.

Dan Rose

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)