Viewsat VS2000 ????

Status
Please reply by conversation.
unless someone can point me to a tutorial on how to bring it back from a bad flash, which i assume is whats wrong with it.

You might try the flash again before you give up on it. SOmetimes if they get mixed up when you try, it might work on a 2nd or 3rd try. If you can't even get the menu, its def got problems.

I agree w/Turbosat, and it may work if the boot sector of the flash isnt trashed, meaning it will 'seek and detect' a loader program active on the RS232 port. Thing is, we need to determine which model it is. I have looked at the review and pics Iceberg posted, compared the info to mine and the only exterior difference is that the Extreme has component out (red/blue/green rcas on back) and the original VS2000 has an extra set of composite rca in that place. The S/PDIF connector is different too.
If it is the original, I dont know if it will use the Platinum flash or not. I thought the Platinum was just an original VS2000 mb in a new case w/revised FW, but I dont know that for a fact. It could be that the problem with it is that someone did not ID it correctly and wrote the wrong flash to it.
Are you familiar with using a loader program? Do you have the serial cable needed? I dont know which the original uses. For reference both my Plat and Extreme use a null modem configuration. (My CS 6000 uses a straight type)
IF you have the correct cable and it will see the loader proggy running via the RS232 on bootup (main power-on switch on the back, not power up from the remote), I would upload the existing data from the flash to your PC before writing anything to it.
Does the switch on the back toggle up/down or left/right. I dont know if there were any Extreme clones made, but one way to tell other clones is which way the main power switch operated. The reason I mention this is the people writing the aftermarket FW included 'clone killer' routines in the flash that detected if it was a real VS product, and crashed/crippled/killed it if it was not.

this is what is on the back left to right....

LNB in , IF Out

Serial Port

S Video

Two A/V outs

ant in tv out

no master power switch

hard wired AC cord

see pic's

Attachments

• vs2k 001.jpg
    vs2k 001.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 151
  • vs2k 002.jpg
    vs2k 002.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 143
  • vs2k 003.jpg
    vs2k 003.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 136
I cant tell from Iceberg's pics if the original has a switch or is hardwired. That is not an Extreme, but could be the original, or possibly a clone of one. I am basing that on no component out or optical AC3 connection.
Either way it is not an Extreme so the FW I'd try would be the factory Platinum/Lite version. It is available on the Viewsat home page.
You may get lucky and it will boot to the rs232 scan routine. It is possible the previous owner confused it with an Extreme and tried to write that FW to it.

thats the original

the Original Viewsat had NO switch on back
Well he might have a chance then. If it were a clone, it could have died a horrible death......lol
There is no mention of the 1st gen 2000 on the homepage, or a factory flash for it. Did you come across the same info that a Platinum was a rebranded VS2000 in a shiney new case with new FW?
I suppose he has nothing to loose (except 8 bucks....lol) to try the Platinum's flash.
Hope he gets lucky.

can someone post the latest factory firmware for my version of the vs2000?

i did not see it at the viewsat support page.

can someone post the latest factory firmware for my version of the vs2000?

i did not see it at the viewsat support page.
Factory Default ViewSat Reset by teach

Why would I want to "reset" my ViewSat back to the Factory Default?

Messed up channel list; wrong satellite info; changed settings; box working improperly, etc

HOW to...

MENU -- INSTALLATION FACTORY DEFAULT

OK
Unless you believe the file is corrupted, there is no need to transfer this file back to your STB.)

Your scanned channel area and the system settings (Password, time, antenna settings, etc) will be reset to defaults and will need to be changed to your desired settings.

-----------------------

To perform a new Setup, just go to

MENU -- INSTALLATION -- ANTENNA SETUP

Enter your LNB info and Diseqc Port settings for 125
OK to re-scan your channels

Enter your LNB info and Diseqc Port settings for 123
OK to re-scan your channels

EXIT, "YES" to Save

MENU -- CHANNEL EDIT -- OK

RIGHT ARROW x 4 to "Sort channel list"

OK and DOWN ARROW x 4 to "Sort by SID"

OK (does it in UNDER 1 second)

EXIT, "YES" to Save

Exit back to TV screen

... watch TV
not sure if it it will help,worth a try.:rolleyes:

i think there is a file out there if it reads only 0000 on the front.it may have third party software in it( pirated software) stuff and maby a bad file .when that software is put in you never know what is going to happen . i guess its use at your owne risk. its what happens when people steal .

OK heres what you do. you need the loader and a file, any file, it could be a pirated file or whatever, those dont work anymore because of N3 and and they usually have a more up to date lit of the birds and TPs up there. so get those 2 things. find a null serial cable and connect it to the computer and to the box open the viewsat loader program and find the file on your computer and get it ready to load. there will be a button that says download transfer or something of the sort.

since your box does not have a main power switch your going to have to time this perfectly. you need to plug the box in the wall and hit the transfer button on the computer at the same time. at which point your going to see the display read P01, P02, P03... etc. meaning percent transfered. when that gets through it should reboot and then the screen will read (0000) or (1200) since it hasnt gotten the time from a a satellite yet.

you just need to find a file and loader. like i said the pirated ones done matter cause they dont work at all any more but i cant tell you where to get them. maybe a forum member has it on a computer somewhere.

this does work ive seen it work, recovered from (----) a couple times. the only difference is the one i saw had a power switch in the the back so when we executed the transfer we flipped the switch and pressed the button on the computer. you will have to plug it in the wall and do it. if you dont get it the first time, keep trying.

You do have a bit of time from the time you press PC--->STB to power up the Viewsat. I'm not sure the loader proggy even times out, I've never tried it.
The reason the bootloader portion of the onboard FW must be in tact is that when the VS is powered up it goes thru the equivalant of POST on a PC. One of the things it checks for is if there is any DTE on the RS232 port. If so it jumps to the com routine and either uploads or downloads the data requested by the loader. If receiving data, once complete, it decrypts the file, writes it to the flash and reboots. Disturbing at any juncture could result in a corrupted write to the flash.
As I said, I would:
1- locate a null cable (or build/modify one as necessary)
2- locate and install to the PC the Viewsat Loader2 Program (VS home page?)
3- for this box I would use the Factory flash for the Viewsat 2000 Platinum. (VS home page)
4- Unzip/rar *.pgm file to the same directory as the loader2 proggy
5- select open and pick the file you just extracted.
6- Make sure the box is unpowered.
7- Click PC--->STB and then power up (plug in) the STB. If the com port settings are correct in the loader proggy and the boot sector is ok you should see a progress bar of the new FW being transferred to the STB. The LED display will also track progress, and give mesages.
At 100% the box will go to install mode, this takes about 45-60 seconds. DO NOT DISTURB while in this step.
Finally, the box should reboot, and go to the last soft power state, IOW, if it was on it should come back on, if it was off, it should stay off until local or remote power button is pressed.
This is off the top of my head from memory. Anyone have anything to add, feel free to do so.

i can't seem to locate firmware for the original VS2000, all the firmware is for the lite, platinum, ultra, etc.

I think the original VS2000 would be using the Platinum firmware... iceberg, correct if needed. :)

I think the original VS2000 would be using the Platinum firmware... iceberg, correct if needed. :)

well i will give it a few days and if there is no other opinions on the matter i will attempt to shove platinum firmware in it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts