vip 612 ,is it usable?

I am on my second set of VIP 612 receivers (have 2). One was locking up from day one. While scrolling through the guide the system would lock, requiring a hard reset. The second unit never locked. Both would drop audio or have audio stutter along with temporary frozen video of pixelated video.

On the first visit I could not get the 1st unit to lock up. The tech stated it just needed an update which would happen automatically. Weeks later it still locked and the audio / video drops got worse on both. On the second trip from the local tech, he stated it was "Impossible" for both units to be bad. Certainly unlikely but not impossible. He called Dish Network Im guessing and was relaying the signal strength of the SATs to the person on the other end. For 119 it showed a reading that jumped between 44 and 48. He told the person and although I could not hear what person said, the Tech responded "A 48 signal can cause audio and video dropouts?" So its safe to assume the person on the other end stated that the signal strength could be causing the issue. The tech followed up by saying "I don't know where you are getting signal strengths that high but in this area we never achieve higher than 50" So Im guessing the person on the line stated that the signal should be higher.

What ended up happening is they replaced both receivers. After switching out, and before the tech finished loading his truck. The new receiver 1 locked up and rebooted itself. Of course he could not explain why and said it must have been a fluke. Although he never watched any programming long enough to see if the audio/video skipped, he stated that he was reporting to his office and Dish Network that my problem was the HDMI cable I had run from my receiver to my set. I asked if this were the case, explain why the receiver in the other room using the HDMI cable they supplied was doing the same thing. He could not give a legitimate response other than to say "Its not doing it now" . He never watched any one program for more than 15 seconds so he could not back that up.

Within an hour of him being gone, Receiver 1 dropped audio and had stuttering vid. I have not watched the second receiver yet. To eliminate my HDMI cable as the problem, Im moving the receiver close to the set and using the cable they supply. As before I will watch in LIVE mode and then when I catch dropped audio and vid, I simply rewind and record it so I can show them later.

I really do not see this issue being resolved so I'm wondering who I should contact next? I feel that if I use the same route as before I will end up with either replaced receivers again or they will just try to lay blame on the HDMI even if I eliminate it as the problem.

Your best move is to contact Dish executive office - charlie.ergen@echostar.com

The latest software version is L608. I have it on two of my 612's but am still waiting for the last 612 to download it.

In my opinion this is a software issue that affects some receivers but not others. One of our 612's has been reasonable stable. One of the others has been replaced four times. The other has been replaced once.

Our 722k has been very steady with only a few problems. I would replaced all the 612's with 722's but my monthly costs would go through the roof.

I'm thinking about going back to E*. D* is been good to me but I can't afford them anymore. E* made me an offer that D* can't beat. I do have a couple of questions about the VIP 612 solo HD DVR. Can you record 2 HD channels at the same time and does it have an OTA tuner? And must important, Have all the issues been resolved?

Thanks

I'm thinking about going back to E*. D* is been good to me but I can't afford them anymore. E* made me an offer that D* can't beat. I do have a couple of questions about the VIP 612 solo HD DVR. Can you record 2 HD channels at the same time and does it have an OTA tuner? And must important, Have all the issues been resolved?

Thanks

Yes. It can record 2 sat and 1 OTA. No the issues have not been resolved. Get a 722k kthxbai.

Yes. It can record 2 sat and 1 OTA. No the issues have not been resolved. Get a 722k kthxbai.

If I'm not mistaking the 722k can only record one HD and one SD at the same time. For what I've read on this forum the 612 have some issues. I'm hoping that the ones I get don't. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If I'm not mistaking the 722k can only record one HD and one SD at the same time. For what I've read on this forum the 612 have some issues. I'm hoping that the ones I get don't. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No, it can record 2 hd programs. I think you may have it confused with the fact that the tv2 output is sd, but that doesn't affect its recording. You can also record 2 additional OTA programs with the optional OTA tuner card.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts