VIP 612 OTA recording issues

schmoot

Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
California
I have hooked up a new 612 with an OTA feed for extra local HD channels, the box is able to tune to the streams no problem. However, while viewing an OTA channel, I cannot pause, rewind, etc. Also whenever I set an OTA channel to record, some really odd behavior occurs. If tuned to the OTA channel, no recording will start. When I tune to a SAT channel, the recording "starts", however when you go to play it back, it is actually recording the SAT channel, not the OTA channel. Additionally, the UI get's really confused and shows the record icon in the UI for the SAT channel (however the guide and dvr page still show the record dot on the OTA channel). The box becomes really unstable in this situation, and crashes alot. I have rebooted the box multiple times and still get the same behavior. Is recording of OTA on the 612 just completely broken? Is there some special thing I have to do to activate recording and pause buffer on OTA channels? Are there any work arounds or am I just SOL?

Good grief! I have two of these receivers. In the 2 or so years we've had them, neither have ever done what you describe.

Same here. One 612 receiver for over two years and never had that problem. It sounds stupid, but have you power cycled (pulled power cord) yet? You know a CSR is going to ask you that, so you might as well do it ahead of time.

Replaced a 508 DVR with a 612 last month and it locked up and re-booted itself a dozen times at least in two weeks. Dish sent a replacement and it can't pull in the 129 sat. feed, and has a loud hard drive also. Waiting for the third to show up in about a week. My 722, on the other hand, has been flawless.

I have the same issues with both of my VIP 612's. They used to work fine but in the last few weeks, they won't record OTA. They used to be able to record 2 dish broadcasts and one OTA simultaneously. Now they won't record OTA at all, even though the red record light is on like it is recording OTA, the "My recordings" does not show it's recording and obviously does not store the recorded program. Since I have 2 VIP 612's and they are both acting the same way, I suspect that Dish has downloaded something that is causing this.

Currently trying to duplicate this issue so we can help get this fixed for all of you. Please be patient, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks, Phillip

BTW, Schmoot,
Dish sent me a replacement VIP 612 last week. Didn't help..........Performs exactly like the VIP 612 it replaced. (No OTA recording)

I have hooked up a new 612 with an OTA feed for extra local HD channels, the box is able to tune to the streams no problem. However, while viewing an OTA channel, I cannot pause, rewind, etc. Also whenever I set an OTA channel to record, some really odd behavior occurs. If tuned to the OTA channel, no recording will start. When I tune to a SAT channel, the recording "starts", however when you go to play it back, it is actually recording the SAT channel, not the OTA channel. Additionally, the UI get's really confused and shows the record icon in the UI for the SAT channel (however the guide and dvr page still show the record dot on the OTA channel). The box becomes really unstable in this situation, and crashes alot. I have rebooted the box multiple times and still get the same behavior. Is recording of OTA on the 612 just completely broken? Is there some special thing I have to do to activate recording and pause buffer on OTA channels? Are there any work arounds or am I just SOL?

I have same problems recently. OTA will not record. the red light comes on and the recording never shows up on the recording menu for viewing.

Still have this issue along with the frequent freezes and reboots. Any solution yet other than ditching Dish?
Another old resurrected thread. Get a replacement 612. Contact Dirt.

Last edited:
Gary you are relying on previous problems when you say they are buggy, at this time they are very stable. You won't find many new reports of problems. I would say the 722K has become somewhat buggy compared to the 612. You do have to be sure they are well ventilated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)