ViP 622 & 722 Running Bug Thread

Here is the response I just got:

We are aware of some audio drop outs on the 622 as noted in the response below.

Thanks to your feedback, we were able to reproduce this issue and are quickly working on a fix. We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you and assure you that this issue is a very high priority for us. We expect to have a fix released in the very near future. Thanks again for the feedback.

iafirebuff said:
I just had my 622 installed Saturday - I LOVE IT! Except for the audio being lost
That's like saying I love my new car except when the engine stalls in traffic...

I only started getting the sound problems over the weekend and it has become a major nuisance. I have two types of sound loss -- one that lasts 1-2 seconds, stopping and starting after 1-2 seconds of sound. This one is the most annoying! The other type is complete dropoff of sound for several seconds at a time.

It is unconscionable to me that they can implement a software upgrade like this without basic testing. In most companies, heads would roll, but at Dish this is the norm...

Not quite a fair comparison. The 622 works great with one exception - if I hit ff or rew too many times or too fast, the audio drops. This will be fixed in a software fix. I reboot, it fixes. I now press the buttons slowly, and no problems. A car stalling in traffic - a hazard. A dvr loosing audio - an inconvience.

We have started losing sound within the last week. When it happens, the only way to get it back is to hard boot.

We are using the regular analog audio.

Dish 500-110,119 & Dish 500-61.5
DP34 Switch

Software Version: L363RBDD-N
Bootstrap: 1710RBDD
Single Mode
Audio Interface: OPtical
Video Interface: Component

Channel FoodHD:9462

Problem: Loss of audio after PAUSE/REVIEW. Tried PIP mode and audio came back on alternate channel, but when original channel was swapped back into primary screen, audio was still lost. Changing channels did not help.

Final resolution was a front panel power button reset.

Next PRoblem: Friday Night Lights - VOD endless loop.

After viewing 2 minutes of this program, I decided it wasn't my kind of program. I could not exit the menu to get back to live TV via CANCEL/DONE.

Can reproduce this error. Advanced Tech acknowleges this glitch.

Press DVR
Select TV Entertainment
Select Friday Night Lights "Pilot"
Select START or RESUME
Press STOP
Select DONE
Brings you back to ENTERTAINMENT LIST
SELECT DONE or CANCEL
Takes you to Dish on Demand screen
Select CANCEL
Takes you to MAIN MENU
IF you select CANCEL, it will take you back to TV Event (Friday Night Lights) where you are stuck endlessly in this loop.

Fix: Select GUIDE and tune to any channel or Select DVR and go to any other recorded event.

Also pushing "View Live TV" button TWICE will exit this loop.

iafirebuff said:
Not quite a fair comparison. The 622 works great with one exception - if I hit ff or rew too many times or too fast, the audio drops. This will be fixed in a software fix. I reboot, it fixes. I now press the buttons slowly, and no problems. A car stalling in traffic - a hazard. A dvr loosing audio - an inconvience.
For what a car is, it is unacceptable to stall in traffic. For what a 622 is, it is unacceptable to not provide the sound with the picture. Hopefully the 622 will never become a hazard...:)

Unacceptable, yes. But, it's not the end of the world. The audio drop outs I have experienced, are only when I hit ff or rew too many times/too fast. So, I just hit the buttons a little slower, and no problem. I understand this has just started happening since the latest update. Dish knows about the problem, and is working on it. I would imagine that it will be fixed any day now. After all, if the equipment does not work, Dish does not have customers. Should this have happened in the first place? No, BUT we are dealing with computer/software issues, and there are always bugs that pop up. I am sure we have all made mistakes, this one will be taken care of. Now if it made my unit unwatchable, then that's another story.

Mark_AR said:
Dish 500-110,119 & Dish 500-61.5

Next PRoblem: Friday Night Lights - VOD endless loop.

After viewing 2 minutes of this program, I decided it wasn't my kind of program. I could not exit the menu to get back to live TV via CANCEL/DONE.

Can reproduce this error. Advanced Tech acknowleges this glitch.

Press DVR
Select TV Entertainment
Select Friday Night Lights "Pilot"
Select START or RESUME
Press STOP
Select DONE
Brings you back to ENTERTAINMENT LIST
SELECT DONE or CANCEL.

You have content in your TV Entertainment button? Wow. That's the first I have heard of anything being there!

I know this probably isn't the right thread for this, but I didn't know where it belonged and I figure many of you can answer this for me.

I am trying to figure out for sure on the 622 if the HDMI and component will output at the same time. This is what I am currently doing with my 942. I have HDMI going to one TV and component to another with the receiver still in Single Mode so I can receive HD on both TVs. Obvioulsy both TVs must show the same thing. I would want to do the same with the 622, but I have heard that may not be possible. Can any of you tell me if this can happen with the 622?

That is great. I am so glad to hear that. I had been told on a local forum that they did not think both were live. Thank you for taking the time to answer.

shlin said:
My OTA Signal is between 65 to 95. The problem is the same in every channel. Reboot seems to solved the problem for a few minutes. The picture will then show flash and black out. Guide and sound were always OK.

I finally had a new unit today. HD is OK now. Then I found out I cannot scan for local channels. I can add them in one by one. I scanned and got no channel in the table. Please help?

shlin said:
I finally had a new unit today. HD is OK now. Then I found out I cannot scan for local channels. I can add them in one by one. I scanned and got no channel in the table. Please help?
Mine would not only not scan it would stop around channel 35, I tried to Add a channel, could enter the numbers but nothing would show as being available. I did a power button reset and then it worked.

Last edited:
I get PBS-HD OTA. I set 2 timers back-to-back at 2-2:30 and 2:30-3 AM MDT to get Rick Steves and Rudy Maxa. They are recorded with a warning in the info and they say 1:00 on the envelope but play for 0:30 each. The title is Recovered and it cannot be edited.

I chose that time so it minimized interference with other recording. BTW, the daily reset is at 8 AM as I never seem to have a recording then.

-Ken

high def mon said:
Yes both HDMI and component are live at the same time! I have Hdmi running to my Sony crt and component running to my DLP projector.

Below is what another 622 user took from somewhere on the Dish website. I need to know this answer for sure before I make my decision. My 942 will output HD to 2 different TVs (one from HDMI and one from component). The only other solution I have been given if they do not both output HD is to buy and HDMI splitter for $299. high def mon are you getting HD on both TVs? Does anyone else have any input on this?

"HDTV/SDTV VIP622
Delivers high-definition and standard-definition programming:
High-definition content can be viewed using HD outputs, or HD content is automatically down-converted for viewing using SD outputs.
Standard-definition can be viewed using SD outputs, or SD content is automatically upconverted for viewing using HD outputs.
Both HD outputs are not active at one time."

deuces said:
Below is what another 622 user took from somewhere on the Dish website. I need to know this answer for sure before I make my decision. My 942 will output HD to 2 different TVs (one from HDMI and one from component). The only other solution I have been given if they do not both output HD is to buy and HDMI splitter for $299. high def mon are you getting HD on both TVs? Does anyone else have any input on this?

"HDTV/SDTV VIP622
Delivers high-definition and standard-definition programming:
High-definition content can be viewed using HD outputs, or HD content is automatically down-converted for viewing using SD outputs.
Standard-definition can be viewed using SD outputs, or SD content is automatically upconverted for viewing using HD outputs.
Both HD outputs are not active at one time."
The info is incorrect. Both HD output are active at once.

Admitted to Bug by E* since 3.65

Bug that I've experienced since 3.65 s/w update.

Since the VIP622 software update 3.65 took place Thursday night 2 things
have happened. 1 The audio problems seem to have stopped (that's the good
news). 2 The signal strengths for all my OTA ATSC digital channels have
dropped about 10 points (this is the bad news). It has caused me to
completely loose the local 28-1 over the air SD digital TV
signal. It will it will sometimes lock on to the signal but often it will
not. My old Panasonic TU-HDS20 tuner will still lock onto the signal all
the time. This has made it so I can no longer DVR the digital signal from
KAMC TV in Lubbock , TX . In fact because of this all I got for my records
(there were 3) was a jumbled mess that was completely unwatchable. I have
checked all of the OTA channels and all show the weakening in signal
strength.

Here is the reply that E* sent me about the problems w/365.

Thank you for your e-mail. Our engineering department is aware of this issue; it has been determined the issue is software related and we are actively working to resolve it as soon as possible. It will be resolved with a software update in the near future. We apologize for the inconvenience.

We hope we have properly addressed your concerns. If you have further questions you can respond to this e-mail or access our online technical support at the following link: http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departme...al/index.shtml.

Thanks,

Matt J.

Technical E-mail Support

Dish Network
Edit/Delete Message

Matt,

How do you like Lubbock? I used to be a photographer at KAMC ABC-28 and shot a tornado live on the air just after Ron Roberts got his new weather center. Some of my fondest memories are of running around with Elizabeth Dannheim.

I'm in Houston now (no longer in TV.) Liz in reporting at a station in Austin after working in Utah for a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)