ViP 622 & 722 Running Bug Thread

ChetK said:
Oh, by the way, how did you get 3.65? I thought 3.63 was the latest. Am I missing something?
Make sure you don't have 3.65. It was released Thursday night.

If you don't have it, use the remote to power off the receiver and then let it sit for a few minutes and it should start downloading.

I have it. I just didn't know I had it. I haven't been keeping up with this board and the sticky at the top was still 3.63. I thought, for sure, someone would have unstickied the 3.63 thread and stickied the 3.65.

My first post, the 622 has been flawless since I received it about 4
months ago. 3.65 introduced the pause bug, occasional reboots by itself, and after I complete a scan for locals, and return to live viewing, all locals produce a blank screen until reboot.
I had a 921 prior to this 622 and hope I don't have to go through the same software update nightmares that I did with the 921.

gunawo said:
My first post, the 622 has been flawless since I received it about 4
months ago. 3.65 introduced the pause bug, occasional reboots by itself, and after I complete a scan for locals, and return to live viewing, all locals produce a blank screen until reboot.
I had a 921 prior to this 622 and hope I don't have to go through the same software update nightmares that I did with the 921.
I am on my second 622. The first one has bad HDTV tunners. All three of them. The replacement worked for a week. Now the TV2 Tuner is out (no signal). I am waiting for my third unit. I don't have a chance to look for software bug yet.

Here's a weird one. I saw this at L363 and it persists in L365.

I have a daily autotune for channel 15-1 at 7am. This is the Today Show in HD which my wife likes. I also have a daily DVR timer for "Today" on channel 15-0 so she can watch whatever she missed that morning in SD.

Periodically, these timers decide to skip events as "Incorrect Event". I can understand the second one might occasionally do this if the guide is incorrect somehow. But the first one is basically a manual timer, do this every day at this time. How can it be an "Incorrect Event" in that case?

So, every evening before I go to bed, I have to look through the DVR schedule to see if there's anything I need to "unskip".

My pause bug makes instant replays in slow mo on the NFLHD impossible. Watching live and after I push the pause button and then the skip back button once, expecting to go back a few frames I find my self as much as 7 minutes in the past, so I push the FWD button and the macro blocking is so bad that I can't see anything til I reach live tv. I haven't tried all the channels but this bug effects PBS OTA also.

ViP622 Problems

These may have been reported earlier but I wanted to get my issues in the thread:

1. Audio out of sync with picture. Happens on numerous channels and is intermittent.

2. Picture sometimes freezes when fast forwarding past commercials.

3. Only rear channels heard during show. Then a loud crack is heard and the front channels come on. (Reported to Dish Tech Support and was told this is known problem and engineering working on software fix).

My 622 turns itself on each morning, usually about 6:30 a.m. (PDT). I know because I leave my surround sound system on all the time because it sometimes malfunctions after being turned off. This morning I turned the 622 off and it came on again 20 seconds later!

I have a friend with this problem, so I thought I would ask about it here. He has a 622 and lately it does not pick up any OTA channels. He said they just disappeared and the scan shows nothing. It is as though the antenna is not hooked up, but he checked the connections and everything looks good. Has this happend before, or is it a known problem?

mr_snerdly said:
I have a friend with this problem, so I thought I would ask about it here. He has a 622 and lately it does not pick up any OTA channels. He said they just disappeared and the scan shows nothing. It is as though the antenna is not hooked up, but he checked the connections and everything looks good. Has this happened before, or is it a known problem?
I had this happen once. It happened after I moved the receiver and accidentally hooked the remote antenna to the OTA tuner input and the antenna cable to the remote control input..

high def mon said:
My pause bug makes instant replays in slow mo on the NFLHD impossible. Watching live and after I push the pause button and then the skip back button once, expecting to go back a few frames I find my self as much as 7 minutes in the past, so I push the FWD button and the macro blocking is so bad that I can't see anything til I reach live tv. I haven't tried all the channels but this bug effects PBS OTA also.
I have the exact same problem on NFL HD (PBS OTA works fine for me), it's extremely frustrating. Anyone else noticing this?

Dish 500-110,119 & Dish 500-61.5
DP34 Switch

Software Version: L365RBDD-N
Bootstrap: 1710RBDD
Single Mode
Audio Interface: OPtical
Video Interface: Component

Problem: Dish Home Interactive - Tide to Go (Shopping) makes unit unstable.

Can reproduce.

Press Dish Home Button
Select Shopping (3)
Select Tide to go
Select Watch Spots
Choose an of the commercials. THey will either play partially or freeze. Exiting will leave frozen screen displayed.

You can navigate guide, DVR, Info, power off, power on, and you will be stuck at the frozen screen.

You can navigate through menu's, but nothing will play.

Also noted, DVR events have a rediculous recorded length. Friday Night Lights has a run time of 21 hours and 22 minutes. Chronicles of Narnia has a 5 hour and 20 min length at present.

The ONLY fix that I have found is a POWER BUTTON reboot.

Dish 500-110,119 & Dish 500-61.5
DP34 Switch

Software Version: L365RBDD-N
Bootstrap: 1710RBDD
Single Mode
Audio Interface: OPtical
Video Interface: Component

Problem: Dish Home Interactive - Tide to Go (Shopping) makes unit unstable.

Can reproduce.

Press Dish Home Button
Select Shopping (3)
Select Tide to go
Select Watch Spots
Choose an of the commercials. THey will either play partially or freeze. Exiting will leave frozen screen displayed.

You can navigate guide, DVR, Info, power off, power on, and you will be stuck at the frozen screen.

You can navigate through menu's, but nothing will play.

Also noted, DVR events have a rediculous recorded length. Friday Night Lights has a run time of 21 hours and 22 minutes. Chronicles of Narnia has a 5 hour and 20 min length at present.

The ONLY fix that I have found is a POWER BUTTON reboot.

Thanks... I missed the Bear's kickoff ;p

I should have read that last line first.

Here's another one. I can pretty much reproduce at will. I never saw this happen before L363.

I can do Menu 6 9 (local channels) and muck about for any length of time trying to adjust my antenna and signal strengths. If I decide to cancel it displays the box "you have made changes to this screen, do you want to lose them". About half the time it will be locked up at this point and must be rebooted. The other half of the time something far more interesting happens.

If after doing the above, I decide to actually watch a few of those local channels, it will possibly work for a while, but after a random (short) amount of time, upon a channel change will display a black screen with the banner saying it has good signal. At that point all channels (even satellite ones) are completely black and with no audio. This condition requires a reboot.

I am pretty sure that if I just watch TV, without ever going to the local channels configuration, everything is fine. But there's something in there that, once touched, invariably causes the box to need a reboot.

Last edited:
...I can do Menu 6 9 (local channels) and muck about for any length of time trying to adjust my antenna and signal strengths. If I decide to cancel it displays the box "you have made changes to this screen, do you want to lose them". About half the time it will be locked up at this point and must be rebooted. The other half of the time something far more interesting happens.

If after doing the above, I decide to actually watch a few of those local channels, it will possibly work for a while, but after a random (short) amount of time, upon a channel change will display a black screen with the banner saying it has good signal. At that point all channels (even satellite ones) are completely black and with no audio. This condition requires a reboot.
Pepper, performing a MENU > 6 > 9 Local Channels is a. "known bug," E* knows about it. We have frequent local station PSIP problems in our DMA, and have to Scan/Add the channels. Once performed, the receiver will become non-responsive with black screen and no audio. Sometimes I can get the banner and menus to display but I always have to do a receiver reset. Sometimes it takes a few minutes for the bug to kick in.

Concerning when a channel become black screen with no audio but has a strong signal. Here the station is either having PSIP/Muxing problems or they have intentionally turned off the bandwidth for the channel but kept the channel mapping data active.

Last edited:
Pepper, performing a MENU > 6 > 9 Local Channels is a. "known bug," E* knows about it.
I'm glad to hear that. Hopefully they will do something about it. Come to think about it, maybe it's the action of Scanning that's doing it.
Concerning when a channel become black screen with no audio but has a strong signal. Here the station is either having PSIP/Muxing problems or they have intentionally turned off the bandwidth for the channel but kept the channel mapping data active.
That's what I thought but once it happens it's ALL channels not just the OTA ones.

...That's what I thought but once it happens it's ALL channels not just the OTA ones.
If this (no video, audio but a strong signal) is happening with all channels, OTA channels at the same time, not just one station and it's sub-channels, then I would think there is a problem with your ATSC tuner. If it affects your Satellite channels then there is something worse going on.

Last edited:
Any one still having problems with losing sound?? Happened again last night. Had to reboot to get the sound back. Also still having trouble with the black screen appearing. Is there going to be a fix for all this??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)