ViP 622 & 722 Running Bug Thread

The L4.41 seems to have messed up the recording extention

before this patch you can press the record button while recording to EXTEND the time or even decrease it
Now it says that you have this set to manually stop and no way to bump the time or no easy way.

Tried this on each of mine. One in dual the other in single. I had no problem extending the record time.

I have been having "trick play"problems for months. If I hit back-up 3 times or so it jumps back random amounts of time usually 10+ minutes. A few other problems but that is the main one.

Who came up with the terminology "trick play" anyway. That is almost as annoying as the BUD user's derogatory "Pizza Dish" referring to our little antennae.

"Trick Play" comes from all the back in the VCR (remember those) days. It was used to describe functions like - pause, fast-forward and reverse search, frame advance..

622 reboot

Is it possible that the upgrade cause a reboot on last Thursday night?
I was watching something I had paused and the 622 reboot and I lost all the paused content.
I called the support line and they sent me another unit but my 622 has not rebooted again.
This is a newer unit I've only had it for 3 weeks.

Bugs in Ext. HDD for VIP622

Just activated the new ext. HD feature for the 622. Am using a Seagate 500GB disk. Initially - no problem: formatted disk, copied down two movies. Then bugs - cannot copy any more, get a message - disk copy error and nothing else!! No way to fix or reformat. Also - when playing movie from ext. HD - stop does not work. Everything else ok - skip, play, rewind, etc. Looks like software bugs in the new release!

yes; I just had a problem with several local channels in chicagoland; message came up saying my smart card was not authorized to get these channels, and to move a channel up or down..I did that to no avail..Rebooting reciever didnt fix it either.
Then, I tuned in to Equator network, got that to work, then went back to my locals and they came in..
Nothing like new software bugs...I can't imagine what their customer service/tech support lines must be dealing with today!

All is well with USB HDD

I called Dish and they said to do a hard reset (hold down power button or unplug) after setting up the USB ext. HD. I did and all is working great!! Can archive to USB HD, play, etc. All functions work after a hard reset after setting up and activating ($39.99 fee). Just FYI - a 2 hr. movie requires about 7.8 GB of space. So - get the largest drive you can afford. I am using a Seagate Free Agent drive - 500 GB. Just bought it at Office Max for $119. That will record over 60 - 2 hr. movies!!!

I am occasionally getting the call to activate message when attempting to access my external drive. I have to acknowledge it and then when I try again it works normally.

Anyone had complete audio loss on (1) tuner ?? Ran into this yesterday for the 1st time. Normally run in dual mode and TV1 had NO audio (all channels). Put it in single mode, swapped to the other tuner, and had sound. Then it gets more odd... Put it back in dual mode and a while later my daughter goes upstairs to watch TV. A minute later she's yelling down that there's no sound (TV2). Previously I had to swap to TV2's tuner to get sound. Rebooted the box and all's been fine since.

Just to clarify, this occurred on the regular composite (RCA, i.e. red/white) audio outputs.

Yes Hall, I too had that problem yesterday and again this morning. The audio loss today occurred after Pausing the show for about 2 minutes, then rewinding and paying. The only way to get the sound back was to reboot the box.

the weather channel has taken control of my 622

Here is a weird one that may or may not have something to do with my post about copying, I was making copy's earlier and have not reset yet. I was watching the weather channel a few minutes ago and I hit the swap button to go to the other channel I was watching "I'm in single mode" and it stayed on the weather channel but it launched the interactive part for my local weather in a bar right above the normal bar at the bottom, but I could still watch the weather channel too. then it would not let me do anything. each time I would exit out of the interactive part it would go black and come right back and launch the interactive part again. the way I was able to get out of it was to hit the my recordings button when the screen was black and start a movie. now everthing works again except I don't have audio on one tuner." I'm writing this as I am try to get out of this bastard mode." I just turned my receiver off and then back on and the tuner that was missing audio now has it and the one that had it is now missing. but the pip and swap buttons work now and the interactive part is not there now. I don't beleive that launching the inter active part from the weather channel on 214 has been available before. I tried to go to channel 100 to see if I could launch it from there but now everthing is dead " black screen " oop's . I waited a few minutes and now it is doing a hard reboot. OK its back up and running everthing is working right and It is out of the mode were I was able to make copy's. One thing about this was when I was wathching tv on the second tuner channel 208 cnbc I saw the press select option just under the info banner at the top but since I was watching this channel in the delayed mode I did not press it and I have never seen this before on this channel I have seen it on cnn.

Does anybody have this feature available to them from channel 214 or is this something dish is working on? so far I have only done this from ch 100 before. after it rebooted I tried every possible button on the remote to try and make that interactive weather come back on ch 214 but it will not.
Here is a crazy thought, maybe since I was in the mode where I was able to make copy's from the ext hd I was able to do another feature that is not available yet.
I did take some critisism for disclosing that it is possible to make copy's from the ext hd back to the 622 but as I recall there were more than a few people that had this on there wish list of features that they would like to have. it's there now if you want it. I used it again today. when they do an update it may or may not work again.
here is my setup: 1 622 , 1 522, 1 322, 2 dish 500' s one is for sat 129, 2 dp 34's, 1 seagate freeagent desktop 500gb
I think the reason I am able to find these things is that when something goes wrong I don't do a reboot right away I just keep pushing button's to try and get something else to happen, that's how I found the copy trick.

sometimes just pushing the buttons until something happens can unfreeze ALOT of consumer electronics....

that's true, but I did have that same audio loss on tuner 1 as you did and pushed some more buttons and then it went to tuner 2 in single mode ,it returned to normal after reboot of course.

has the 622 ever had the following features?

just some things i noticed spending some time with it tonight.

If you've watched something for a while and decided you want to keep what you've watched and record the rest, I thought if you hit record it did that. But when I tried to do that, it only recorded from when i hit the record button onward.

Also I thought that the live tv buffer wouldn't apply when i'm recording the channel I'm watching. I was hoping I could watch what I'm recording, pause it, go to another channel and come back. But when i go back it jumps to live.

Even when I go into the dvr to play it from there and then pause and do something else, If i want to come back to the dvr, my only options are to view tv or start over, the resume isn't there.

are there some tricks i'm missing?

has the 622 ever had the following features?

just some things i noticed spending some time with it tonight.

If you've watched something for a while and decided you want to keep what you've watched and record the rest, I thought if you hit record it did that. But when I tried to do that, it only recorded from when i hit the record button onward.
Rewind to the start of what you want to keep, then hit record :)

Also I thought that the live tv buffer wouldn't apply when i'm recording the channel I'm watching. I was hoping I could watch what I'm recording, pause it, go to another channel and come back. But when i go back it jumps to live.

Even when I go into the dvr to play it from there and then pause and do something else, If i want to come back to the dvr, my only options are to view tv or start over, the resume isn't there.

are there some tricks i'm missing?
Use stop instead of pause when watching a recorded program and it should resume... :)

Use stop instead of pause when watching a recorded program and it should resume... :)

I think his second question there is in regards to a show that is currently recording. Not pre-recorded. You can hit stop of pre-recorded shows and it will take you to live TV. At which point, you can go back to your recording and resume. However, if the show is currently recording and you hit stop, you are asked if you want to quit the recording. There's no good way to leave a program that is currently being recorded and then come back to it where you left off. I would like to see a resume feature on shows that I am both recording and viewing at the same time.

Hope that made sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts