ViP 622 & 722 Running Bug Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
722, L625 s/w, HDD Temps. Hi 131, Low 77, Avg. 114, Antenna Eastern Arc D1000.4 with D300 wing to 110, WD external 1Tb HDD (new since last replacement receiver, so not causal), update at 3AM (default), single mode.

This is the second replacement receiver I have received in the last two weeks that exhibit the same symptoms: At exactly 5:18 PM, three times, the receiver has frozen and rebooted... and once at about 10:10 PM. Following the reboot it behaves normally until the next time. It does not happen every day at 5:18 PM. STRANGE! Signal levels were checked by a tech about a week ago and tweeked, but they were and are in normal ranges.

Tomorrow they are sending a senior tech out to look at it. I suggested the DP 44 but was told "no" by the phone tech.

Last edited:
722, L625 s/w, HDD Temps. Hi 131, Low 77, Avg. 114, Antenna Eastern Arc D1000.4 with D300 wing to 110, WD external 1Tb HDD (new since last replacement receiver, so not causal), update at 3AM (default), single mode.

This is the second replacement receiver I have received in the last two weeks that exhibit the same symptoms: At exactly 5:18 PM, three times, the receiver has frozen and rebooted... and once at about 10:10 PM. Following the reboot it behaves normally until the next time. It does not happen every day at 5:18 PM. STRANGE! Signal levels were checked by a tech about a week ago and tweeked, but they were and are in normal ranges.

Tomorrow they are sending a senior tech out to look at it. I suggested the DP 44 but was told "no" by the phone tech.

The 722 was recording one Dish provided local on one receiver and buffering another with about a 10 minute delay for the 5:18 events.

Here, too!

622, L623 and earlier versions. HDD temp 127 degrees, Dish 500 and 27" for 129, WD 500gb external, update 3AM local time, single mode.

Same thing here at 2:18 PM Pacific time, with both original and replacement receivers. Techs were out including supervisor . They went through entire installation. Occurring same time as yours considering time zones. I record Glenn Beck daily and usually get two recordings, one 18 or so minutes long the other 34 minutes long.

**Just noticed I now have L625 and no reboot yesterday, recorded entire program. Will watch that one. Other symptoms are same as yours.

622, L623 and earlier versions. HDD temp 127 degrees, Dish 500 and 27" for 129, WD 500gb external, update 3AM local time, single mode.

Same thing here at 2:18 PM Pacific time, with both original and replacement receivers. Techs were out including supervisor . They went through entire installation. Occurring same time as yours considering time zones. I record Glenn Beck daily and usually get two recordings, one 18 or so minutes long the other 34 minutes long.

**Just noticed I now have L625 and no reboot yesterday, recorded entire program. Will watch that one. Other symptoms are same as yours.

I'm not sure that I'm sold on this but the senior tech. said my 110 dish for ROC locals was out of alignment (perhaps the first tech. did not realign this one since its around the corner of the garage and hard to see). According to him, when the signal is low it will cause everything to shutdown and reboot. Still don't undertand the 5:18 EST thingy! Why then, why not random?

Anyway no freeze/reboots since 14Feb2010...still holding my breath though.

BTW, the above was with a replacement receiver installed 14Feb.

Last edited:
A non-Dish tech. showed up today. He seemed like a very knowledgeable guy.

He removed two diplexers that were left-over from a failed DNC attempt to get HD locals OTA, a old style seperator and the 110 LNB. We got 50% higher 110 signal, so maybe that will help with dropouts.

A bit of a shotgun approach, but if it works I'll be a happy camper... stay tuned.

I discovered that I had been upgraded to L624 and the problems seem to have gone away. Now I am on L625, so I'll watch and see what fun things I have now.

Ben

He removed two diplexers that were left-over from a failed DNC attempt to get HD locals OTA, a old style seperator and the 110 LNB. We got 50% higher 110 signal, so maybe that will help with dropouts.

A bit of a shotgun approach, but if it works I'll be a happy camper... stay tuned.

I have a DB8 and was getting 99% on all stations but it still popped up from time to time and very annoying. Unplugged the OTA antenna from the 722k connector and no more error 002 "searching for satellite".

We have had this same issue since December 2009. It started with the 622 we have in the bedroom and thinking that it was an problem with the DVR, I convinced Dish into replacing it. I installed it on January 8th.

Since that date the replacement 622 AND a 722 we have in our family room will freeze at approximately 4:18pm CT. It doesn't happen every day nor will both units freeze at the same time. The time can vary by a few minutes.

Oddly, a 622 and a 722k we have in our theater room NEVER exhibit these lockups.

Originally I used a Dish 500 looking at 110/119 and a second dish looking at 61.5. With the new HD channel launch I placed an order to move to a dish 1000.2 looking at 110/119/129. The new dish was installed on Feb 24th and the freeze/lockups have continued.

I have kept a log of these events and have tracked 29 days since Jan. 1 that we have had the "4:18" freeze.

Since we have 4 DVRs, we use a DPP44 switch and have a Squareshooter 1000 antenna for OTA.

Could this Freeze be related to the stopping of recording I have had at 4:12 AM MST/MDT for the last year? And seen in other time zones at the same absolute time. I traced it to the 61.5W satellite vs. the 129W one. I previously had both fed into a DPP44 switch and which it would select was indeterminate. To know for sure you have to find which satellite is used before it happens. That is you must do Info-Info to see the satellite number, which you cannot do on a recording. If you have only one source you can look it up in the tables. Note, I only had stopping of recording (dozens of them, even watching it) and it was not a freeze.
-Ken

Audio popping is also happening in program content when changing from programming to commercials and back. Watching House OTA on FOX it was happening during every commercial breaks. Switched to the 942 and the problem was not there. Both the 942 and the 622 are driving the same amp and TV...

2 ongoingn bugs here with 722Ks.

The pop up lost sat bug when OTA drops out. Just VERY ANNOYING

The newer pause playback while recording. Found on surviovor premier:( when a friend called.

The recording appears all there but it stops at the pause:(

And E brags about their 722s being worty 17 bucks a month:( yeah sure bug ridden.

Wow Bob... You taught me a new bug. I didn't know about the pause thing. Can't believe I'm saying it, but 'Thanks'. Just kidding, Bob. I just like to give you a hard time Mr. Fios.

I agree that OTA popup is annoying. I reported that as a bug so long ago. It is a shame nothing has been done about it, as this is one hell of a DVR. My favorite one ever from Dish.

The OTA popup doesn't bother me anymore since I carefully adjusted my antenna to take care of the problem channel.

my 722 has been buggy latley
1. recording 2 shows on tuner 1 at the same time. this cause me to have a whole folder of a show with 1 sec records for one of the shows

2. watching my regional fox sports earlier and i got the lost sat signal screen. the only way to get rid of it is change the channel and then come back to that channel i remember having this bug 8-10 months ago, but it got fixed. now it is back.

3. set a timer to record to the ext hard drive and it records, but never makes it to the HD. not on the dvr either.

(1) Recording 2 shows on the same (not OTA vs. Dish) channel will not work but occasional it tries.
(2) Bad OTA might have been the culprit.
(3) The 622... record to external is for the Pocket Dish not for a USB drive, IIRC. No longer supported?
-Ken

I've had my ViP 622 since they first came out and haven't had many problems at all. It's a great DVR, reliable and easy to operate.

In the past tree days, though, it's recorded four different programs that were NOT scheduled to be recorded. It recorded a kid's show at 9 am Saturday from OTA channel 5 and stopped after 17 minutes. The second was at 3 pm Sunday from ESPN HD and lasted for 7 minutes. Then last night at 1:35 am it started two recordings simultaneously, one on 7-00 Satellite HD and one on 7-01 OTA HD. The one for the satellite ended in 24 minutes. The OTA recording was still going when I went to watch the news this evening!! The file was 17 hours 35 minutes long and still growing!! It had the name of the 1:35 am program.

I fast forwarded through the file and it was a perfect recording of KGO HD from 1:35 am to when I stopped it almost 18 hours later. At least I got to watch the news like I wanted!

Has this ever happened to anyone else here?

I rebooted the DVR, so I hope whatever bug it had developed has been wiped out and it won't happen again.

Larry
SF

722k L658, DPP 1K.4, 1K.4(1), 1K.4(2), 1K.4(3)

9 days into service and both sides of the receiver had no A/V with turning off both sides and turning on, going into system menu took it right to system info instead of main screen, rebooting the receiver from the front panel corrected this issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)