ViP 622 & 722 Running Bug Thread

I'm getting studdering and lip sync problems OTA on NBC, Law and Order on both the 622 and the 942. Also I'm getting 3 rows of 7 very small dots across the screen. OTA issues might be network feed problems.

Software version: L356
Mode bug occurred in: Dual
Dish setup: See signature below
Description of bug: OTA lock/retention problem
OTA Antenna: Winegard HD7084P (on rotator)/Channel Master 9251a both RG6 coax cable.

This is applicable to both ViP622.

With the slightest of problem with OTA PSIP, both my ViP622's will lose audio/video causing the Error screen #739 to appear. The channel will remain in the OTA list (Menu>6>9) but if the channel is deleted, it can not be re-scanned/added until the PSIP problem is resolved. This is unacceptable in that I have two DVR921's. The DVR921's will continue to work with the affected OTA channels. The OTA ATSC tuners need to become smarter and more adaptable. I shouldn't assume here but the 622 should have a newer model/better ATSC tuner than the 921 and should work better.

Last edited:
Software version: 356
Mode bug occurred in: dual
Dish setup: 500 @ 110, 119, 300 @ 129

Description of bug: "SD Ghosting." Picture is slightly shifted to the left - most comparable to analog ghosting. It's as if the picture is painted on the screen twice - once in the correct spot, and then again about 1/8" (on a 50" screen) to the left. This is visible via component inputs, when viewing SD 4:3 material. It does not happen on the modulated output for TV1 or TV2, only component.

Description of bug: Tiny Picture. Occasionally, the picture becomes tiny, as if it's a PIP window, or the small video window visible during the guide.. come to think of it it is always the same size and same position as the guide video - so perhaps it's related. Changing channels SOMETIMES fixes it, accessing the menu or guide ALWAYS fixes it.

Description of bug: False loss Satellite Messages. While watching a channel on 119 (can't remember which channel) I kept getting loss of signal messages, however, the signal wasn't really lost. Accessing the menu and exiting restored the picture everythime, and all the video (using the skip back buttons) that should have been lost with a real loss of signal was still there, so the signal wasn't really lost.

This is defineately the buggiest release for me, so far. All the other releases have worked rather well.

Description of bug: Dropped Frames. Yesterday on all Satellite channels (not on OTA channels) my frame rate dropped considerably - maybe as low as 5 FPS, as there was obvious jitter on all sat channels. I tried changing channels, entering and exiting menu, etc., but only a front-panel reboot fixed the problem. I recall seeing this reported by a few others here and at dbstalk.

Please fix 356!

jrfuda said:

Description of bug: Dropped Frames. Yesterday on all Satellite channels (not on OTA channels) my frame rate dropped considerably - maybe as low as 5 FPS, as there was obvious jitter on all sat channels. I tried changing channels, entering and exiting menu, etc., but only a front-panel reboot fixed the problem. I recall seeing this reported by a few others here and at dbstalk.

Please fix 356!

I like that. Yea, let's get a chant going. Everybody now:

Please fix 356!
louder

Please fix 356!
I can't hear you

Please fix 356!
I still can't hear you

Please fix 356!

Now everyone copy this and email 10 copies to ceo@dishnetwork.com

losing OTA timers

L356 software
Dual mode
Problem: losing OTA timers

Had the 622 installed yesterday, lost 2 OTA timers since then. Never had this problem with my 942.

N

Lost an ota timer and lost signal message while watching fox news last night. Just touch the dvr button and signal comes back. Happened several times. Receiver is 2 days old. You can welcome me to the club.:no

It's comforting to know those programmers who made the most reliable machine on the planet, the DishPlayer DVR-522, weren't out of a job when they finished.*

Think I will wait a little while longer before getting a ViP622.

By the way I have noticed the "forgotten timer" thing on the 522 recently. Maybe something to do with the guide?

*In case you can't tell, this sentence is laced with 100% American made sarcasm.

Last edited:
lgball said:
Significant video stutter on both HD and SD channels. Does not happen on OTA channels. Seems to be most prevalent when there is a lot of motion on the screen, as if the CPU can't keep up with the action. Pause and restart does not seem to fix the problem.

I have noticed this too. Even on Discovery withe Monster Garage when they introduce each of the team and the camera moves fast around them. It is like the processor can't keep up with the fast action and this is MPEG2.

622 Issue

Dish setup: Super Dish 110, 119, 121 Dish 500 @ 129-DPP 44 switch
Description of bug: While recording off-air past 2 evenings (4/17 & 18) unit for no apparent reason turns off and fan goes into high speed mode for 10-15 seconds then shuts down. I do a soft reboot via the power button everything starts back up goes through check switch and unit then works without any problem. Check internal temp high has been 120, low 62. Unit sits on open shelf with nothing else around it.
OTA Antenna: Wineguard HD 8200 Antenna on 30 foot tower, RG6 cable, Wineguard Amp
__________________:confused:

Not Happy..

S/W Version: 356
Mode Bug Occured in: Single
Dish Setup: 110/119 & 61.5 Dish 500/300 DP34
OTA: Not Used
Description of Bug: 622 has been running flawless since I installed it about a week and half ago. Last night was watching a prerecorded show. All of a sudden video dropped out and audio was "white" noise with popping sounds. Unit would not respond to any remote commands. Pushed and held front panel power button and rebooted unit. Everything came back ok. About an hour and a half later while just watching a program, video and audio dropped out completely! Unit sat there for about 30 seconds and rebooted itself. Again everything came back up ok. Decided to do a power plug reboot to clear everything out. Got the unit back up and it appears to be working ok but don't have enough time since last night to know if it's going to be ok or not. Problem is i'm going out of town tomorrow for a week and have to leave wife with it:( . It better stay running until I get back or the wife will probably take a sledge hammer to it while i'm gone:eek: . Gerry

Mode bug occurred in: single
Dish setup: Dish1000 for 110 & 119, Dish500 for 61.5
Description of bug: After recording, the ViP622 stays ON. I'm not sure this happens every time. But by staying on, with all other HT equipment off, it is in a mode my Harmony 880 universal remote does not know about. The 880 sends a power toggle, so after this bug hits, and I use the 880 to turn on the system, every HT component is turned on, but the ViP622 is turned off. I need to use just the one remote, as simple as possible, for my in-laws. Having another remote or "sometimes used" power button to push will confuse the hell out of them.
OTA Antenna: CM3010 StealthTenna

On Edit: It appears that even in single mode, the ViP622 will respond to UHF commands. A neighbor's remote may have caused the power cycling (townhouse). So above probably is not a bug at all. If the problem recurs, now that I've removed the remote antenna, I will edit this again and post again.

Last edited:
navychop said:
The 880 sends a power toggle, so after this bug hits, and I use the 880 to turn on the system, every HT component is turned on, but the ViP622 is turned off. I need to use just the one remote, as simple as possible, for my in-laws. Having another remote or "sometimes used" power button to push will confuse the hell out of them.[/B]
You need to put discrete power commands in your harmony. See here: http://rweb.echostar.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/TechRemo3.1Trou.shtml#discpow on how to get the discrete commands from the 622's remote. You can learn to a Harmony, right?

Dish setup: Dish1000 for 110 & 119

The 622 has problems finding "new episodes". I had set Dog Whisperer on NGH to record all new episodes. Nothing showed in the recorded list. Checking the timers I found the cancled program and it said " skipped not a new episode."
The info said 2006 new. I have had this with other programs also.

I had a progron recorded and when I went to watch it I got a frozed image on the screen and would not play. I could watch other programs that were recorded. A reboot fixed the problem.

Lost picture on HDMI to DVI connection

Dish setup:Dish 1000(110,119,129) and 2nd DISH for 148 locals , DP44 switch running 622, 921, 4900, and JVC D=VHS receivers
Description of bug:Lost picture on HDMI to DVI connection.
Replaced HDMI to DVI with Component video cables and everything is fine. s-video also works but gets no HDTV. My sound is through composite cables to audio receiver.
OTA Antenna: none

jrfuda:

Thank you. I've edited my post #93. Probably found the cause of the behavior, and if correct, there's no bug like this.

Software version: not sure, i assume it's the latest
Dish setup: Dish 1000
OTA Antenna: Not sure of make and model but it is a big one on the roof nd it works great.

Description of bug: Lost Tuners. I haven't seen this one reported before but it has happened to me twice. All of a sudden I am not able to turn to any OTA channels or second tuner channels. And when I hit the swap button nothing happens. I don't get any error messages or lost sat messages or anything, it just won't let me turn to that channel. For example if I try to select channel 62_01 nothing happens. It stays on the channel I am already on.

So it seems that I can only access the one sat tuner and not the second sat tuner or OTA tuner when this happens.

I do a reboot from the front of the box and it is fixed. It's only happened twice and isn't a huige deal.

I also get the video stuttering from time to time.

622 to be replaced

odbrv said:
Dish setup:Dish 1000(110,119,129) and 2nd DISH for 148 locals , DP44 switch running 622, 921, 4900, and JVC D=VHS receivers
Description of bug:Lost picture on HDMI to DVI connection.
Replaced HDMI to DVI with Component video cables and everything is fine. s-video also works but gets no HDTV. My sound is through composite cables to audio receiver.
OTA Antenna: none

Had a repair scheduled and Tech came out and confirmed HDMI was not working. Have a new 622 with RA# to return bad 622. I have to replace it myself. They said they were shipping it 2-day delivery.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)