ViP 622 & 722 Running Bug Thread

Yeah, I've noticed this happening too in the latest software revision. Not sure, but I think it's a software thing, not hardware. If it's bugging you, I'm sure they'll send you a new box if you ask, but if you can live with it, I'd maybe wait for the next software rev, and see if that fixes it. It's definitely annoying, but when it happens, you should be able to either just press play, or pause and play, and it will go back to normal. If it does, and you jump back a few seconds, it should play normally through the spot it just was glitching in. It's weird.

Mine has been doing it for months. Video always stutters, audio sometimes does, sometimes doesn't. Called DISH, they just said it's a known software problem. Didn't offer to do anything about it (glad to see that DHPP money pays off!).

Wife finally got so upset with it we just had DirecTV installed :)

I have 2 622's and 1 has a problem with pixelation with recordings sometimes. Every time I call tech support they insist I have a loose connection but i can't find one. Since it doesn't happen all the time the tech comes out and says everything is fine and I get charged the service fee.

Any suggestions on what I can try?

Sorry I forgot this information for this thread.

Software version: L449
Mode bug occurred in: single
Dish setup: 2 dishes, DPP44
Description of bug: Pixelation
OTA Antenna: None.

I have 2 622's and 1 has a problem with pixelation with recordings sometimes. Every time I call tech support they insist I have a loose connection but i can't find one. Since it doesn't happen all the time the tech comes out and says everything is fine and I get charged the service fee.
Any suggestions on what I can try?
I had a very vivid dream last night that after SCIFI and USA lit up in HighDef my receiver also downloaded new software 4.50. It cleared up all the pixelation problems but unfortunately this turned out to be just a dream. Still at 4.49 and still have the same pixelation you have. Happens live or from a recorded program.

It has been over a month since any receiver has been updated to newer software and I am wondering if Dish is working in this area anymore?

Software version: L449
Mode bug occurs in: single
Dish setup: 2 dishes, DPP44
Description of bug: Pixelation
OTA Antenna: None.

So, I came in for the night and noticed the new channels, new favorite guide, etc. but now I have a new issue. The continuous reboot issue. I called into support and was told I have a power issue problem now. I'm stunned because prior to this last update I have had no issues and no new devices in the room. The 622 is in the same spot on the same power, etc. for the last year and a half. So am I nuts?

Scott

Update. Today I moved the unit to a place in the house where it's the only thing on the circuit and the tv on a different circuit. Now it just reboots repeatedly. Checked the circuit, perfect voltage. So, when I called in I got the same answer so I'm screwed and I can't deal with their no "brain" powered scripted responses. I'm going to loose all my shows that I have recorded because I wait until the season is over and watch them all at once.

Well, the good news is I finally got a hold of someone at Dish to replace my 622. Apparently, he seemed to think this was a known problem. I didn't press the issue because he was replacing my tuner on the service plan. The bad part for me is the lost content on my DVR and no "House MD" tonight while I wait for a new tuner to arrive. I don't think I will ever call tech support on the weekend again because the guy on the other end of the phone was a clueless script reader and because my rebooting cycle wasn't in the script he didn't know what to do....

Best of luck to you guys with the dead 622's, they sent me 5 in a row that didn't work right until I canceled the account and they sent a new 722 that worked.

My 622 also has also started to spontaneously reboot. I spoke with tech service yesterday and they said it was a power supply issue. I explained that the screen freezes for 15-30 seconds, then reboots. They said I should plug the unit into the wall and not use a surge protector. If that didn't work, I should use a high quality surge protector and not plug it in directly to the wall.

WTH is up with this level of service? They could give 3rd graders coloring books with canned responses and they'd be as helpful as the lackeys they have running tech support now.

latest software

audio/video sync issues on recordings
I haven't experienced, nor heard many reports if any of audio/video sync issues with the 622/722 DVRs. Make sure it's not a channel issue (does it only occur on a certain channel vs *all*). Also, is your box rebooting overnight like it should ? When I had a 522, it had pretty bad AV sync problems but a weekly reboot (they didn't reboot overnight like 622s do) solved it for me. Others continued reporting problems though.

622 HDMI issues

I leased my 622 when they first came out in March, 06. It has been perfect until yesterday. I have it in duel mode operation and TV2 is fine. I have TV1 connected via HDMI. It started dropping the signal then it went out completly. I switched the HDMI cables from the 622 to my Tosh XA1. Dig input 1 where the 622 was works fine with the Tosh, but Dig input 2 where the Tosh was doesn't work with the 622. I unplugged the 622 for 5 minutes which didn't help, then held the power switch on the 622 down for 10 sec and that didn't help. I called Dish CSR and they were very courtious and are sending me free of charge a replacement 622. I hate to swap my 622 because it has been flawless and I do have some recorded shows on the HD that will be lost.
Is there anything else I can try to correct this problem besides the swap out?

Last edited:
If you try component and or rca connections, you can then determine that the hdmi output is bad if the other connections work.
Dan

...Is there anything else I can try to correct this problem besides the swap out?
Not unless you want to open your 622 and resolder the surface mounted hdmi jack.

When you get your new 622, make sure the cable does not put any lifting pressure on the jack. They pop loose easily. If you see a screw above the hdmi jack, they have strengthened it and you should have no trouble.

Thank all of you for your helpful advice. I hooked up the 622 to the TV via component with some cables I had from a forgotten project. The aspect ratio looks a bit different but the quality looks real good. I wish I had the VOOM Equator channel to really look for detail, but, sigh, its gone.
Since the component input is analog I kept the HDMI connection but it still doesn't work. I guess the jack somehow opened or something.
I looked at what I had recorded and I don't think a bunch of Law and Order and the AMC-14 launch justifies the expense of an external HD.:D

Last edited:
I had something happen last week that I had not seen before. I had a timer recording scheduled for the OTA tuner. This timer is recurring, recording all new episodes of NCIS on KCBS in Los Angeles, and has worked flawlessly for months. Last week, instead of recording NCIS it recorded Dancing With the Stars on KABC. Interestingly the guide info for the program was for NCIS throughout the recording. Not sure what happened, but it looks like the tuner did not change channels as it was supposed to when the timer started. I can't confirm what channel the tuner was on prior to the start of the recording as I had been away from home for a few days. Anyone else have this happen?

I've been having the same freezing, pixelization and "rebooting loop" problems. This is what I just sent to Dish Network:

I'm am now waiting for my 3rd vip622 because of the freezing, pixelization and most importantly "rebooting loop" problems with the previous two. I have called dozens of times only to be disconnected by your pitiful automated service or transferred the incompetent and unhelpful outsourced Indian Reps you use. I know for a fact that your customer service and tech support depts are aware of the freezing and power supply issues with the 622's as it has been documented on many of internet sites such as satelliteguys.com. One other person has gone through 5 replacement 622 receivers because of such. I have requested on more than one occasion and most recently last nite, that I receive some kind or reasonable credit for my "purchased" 622 receiver towards an upgrade to a "purchased" vip722 which has not been having these problems. Your representatives, most notably, Id badge D5B, have refused to do so and ignored by promise to end my 10 years plus of service with you as one of your top subscribers (being that I have the ultimate 250 package/locals/multiple receivers)if my next 622 has the same problems since you refuse to give me some kind of upgrade purchase option. Id badge D5B also offered to send a tech to my home which she claimed was a $29.95 fee and could be waived, which I found very interesting since on more than one occasion I had been informed that if a tech was sent to my home the fee would be anywhere from $69.95 to $99.95 and up. This seems a bit shady if you ask me. This is your last chance to keep me as a customer. I will document my experiences with Dish Network and your responses or lack of to my issues on all applicable internet related sites. Thank you.

Yelling at a cyborg

My 622's Hard Drive is dead, I have a RMA coming in ;) ... I just had a BSSOD...

Just received the 4th replacement receiver for my wife's tv since mid March. Yes the situation is tense. I took my 622 to her TV on Tuesday while awaiting the refurbished 622. The unit sent has a scratch on the front. Hooked the unit up. Did a check switch. Unit went to 0-5 check mode. Didn't go to downloading info mode called Dish. Talked to "Hey, I see you're one of our top customer's" Mattell machine. After yelling at almost the top of my voice, by his repeated, "I didn't understand........................................" for the fortieth time. I managed to get him to transfer me to a person (Representitive) While on hold the 622 started its' download, so I hung up and called back when the '129' screen came on. Thinking this would be easy, Cy asked me the R00 mumber of the "New" receiver I was installing, He then asked for the S00 number. Cy then said he needed the R00 number of the unit I was installing. Thinking this was a missprint or that he didn't hear any better than moi, I again gave the ROO number, he repeated it about 20 times before I hung up. I called back and the first words out of my mouth at 120db+ was "person". He immediately responded that he would contact me with a representitive. She was a wonderful, but very inexperienced rep. We're up again (for at least a week or so).:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts