ViP 622 & 722 Running Bug Thread

abricko said:
wow... (over) one month since the last 622 update... I guess dish considers the 622 chopped liver now!
Yeah, I've noticed they've been slackin'. The video choppiness is getting unbearable. When I hit the 10 second back button, my wife always looks at me and says, "what happened"?

Software version: 356
Mode bug occurred in: dual
Dish setup: Dish 1000 / 110, 119, 129
OTA Antenna: Antennas Direct 91XG, CM7775 preamp, 70' RG6 Quad, 75 miles from transmitters.

Description of bug: While watching OTA with weak signal and occasional dropouts, picture freezes up, sound continues with no interruption. Attempting to change channels results in delays to commands of up to 20 seconds. Any button push has a delay that long. Turning off receive doesn't help. After the 20 seconds channel change, there's only sound with black screen. Only soft reboot solves the problem.

Bug: When I have "locks" enabled, sometimes when I click on a show that is locked, it asks for the code, which I put in, then it thinks I want to record it (even though it is showing currently).

ver: 3.56

Bug 1: Cannot disable local channel re-mapping. When I type a local channel on the remote, I want the OTA HD to appear, not the low def sat channel. Work-around; lock out & hide remapped locals.

Bug 2: When the sat signal is lost, after a number of hours, the receiver will not let you select OTA channels or do DVR. I have a tree problem with 110 when the leaves are wet.

Bug 3: When going to point dish screen from a local channel, it always shows spot beam 1, my locals are on spotbeam 4. (110)

Bug 4: When first going to point dish screen from a local channel, the signal level is 25 points high. If I select another sat or transponder, it shows the correct level.

Last edited:
622 replaced

odbrv said:
Had a repair scheduled and Tech came out and confirmed HDMI was not working. Have a new 622 with RA# to return bad 622. I have to replace it myself. They said they were shipping it 2-day delivery.

Installed the new 622 with the help of a CSR at the forum tech support #. HDMI to DVI connection is currently working. Lets hope it lasts more than the week the original 622 did.

Maybe not a bug, but certainly an annoying behavior...

When I set a timer to record a locked program, and set the recording to start 1 minute early, playing back the recorded program asks me for my PIN number twice.

I can understand why this would happen, as the playback passes the boundary between 2 programs, but it certainly is annoying.

Maybe this should be a feature request, but I think of it more as a bug, myself.

Pat

When is the new software coming?

Okay,
When is the new software coming? It's been over a month now...

The video choppiness is finally appearing on my box (now i know what you've all been talking about) and the HD audio sync is coming back.

I can't believe they're taking this long on an update..

It just doesn't make sense... I've had this unit since mid feb... first the audio (sync) was an issue, the two firmware updates following seemed to fix it for me... then I started to notice the choppy (dropped frames) video / video flickering / video scratching... even that wasn't bad it would seem to happen every few days or so skip-back or pause to build a buffer fixed it.

Over the last two weeks (I've done nothing different) If i sit down to watch more than 3 hours of TV by the end of my viewing (or watching of live mode after watching recorded content) the receiver has the video issues and the only way to cure it is to do the pause / skip-back method or reboot the box. And during that same time period is when I first got the machine-gun (rapid repeat for a quick moment) audio after a skip-ahead on most channels, which now is common.

In fact I've got into the habit of checking the 622s upcoming recording schedule in order to time a reboot so I can ensure my primetime programming is not interrupted.

I still have had probably 5 freeze / reboots with this unit since i've had it and I did put a laptop cooler under it which has lowered the HD temp 15 degrees over two months ago.

So, it would seem to me that my receiver is getting worse (hardware issues? the software hasn't changed in over a month so it has to be). I'm waiting for the next update before I try to get Dish to send me out a new receiver. I really don't want to reprogram 55+ timers (I just got a nice groove going with it).

I'll be watching the stupid tech chat tonight but I know they will not mention a word about it.

It isn't the box, it's the software....

I've got the same issues.....

Plus on the ABC HD feed out of New York, I get the machine gun audio followed by a gatorade neon green pixellation that lingers for a second before going away. The Fox NYC HD constant audio drops have, um, dropped in frequency, but still happen occasionally....

Also, a wish... there has to be a better way of managing conflicting timers "automatically solve by priority" is useless as it keeps ignoring shows I do want to see since they are #3 at a given time (Dang you, network programmers). I miss the old 921 system that let me choose which one to bump... how about searching ahead and seeing if a show repeats later on (The Surreal Life repeats constantly, this would be a good one to bump and then activate a later recording...)

BobMurdoch said:
It isn't the box, it's the software....

Is it possible it's both? There was a thead a while back about different versions of the 622 (A, B, C, D, etc) having different problems. Maybe these receivers differ enough so they react to software upgrades differently. That could explain why some (many) are not having any problems at all while others are always having them and some just a few, now & then. Of course the way you use the unit effects that too.

It could be that Dish feels they've got the majority of the 622s stable but there are a certain number of units for which nothing is going to work completly fix them (without hurting other units).

If that's the case (and Dish will never admit it nor automatically replace them), they will probably resolve those units by replacement if the customer complains loud enough.

Channel changes automatically

Has anyone experienced this? I'll be watching a show and suddenly the 622 switches to a black screen with the "this is a subscription channel..." message. I then hit channel up and I'm in the 9400 HD channel range. It's only happened about three times but when you're watching 24 during a tense moment, it really sucks.

Video Choppines + Time shifting

Recently upgraded from a 942 whose only problem (that affected me) was 2 second audio drops on OTA recorded material. At first the 622 ran just fine. But in the past week it has been like watching mpeg4 streamed from the internet - choppiness and audio sync problems when viewing real-time programing. I purused these formus and found that I was not the only one and that a potential fix was to pause or skip back.

So last night we tried that method and entered the twilight zone. At first it seems to work, but suddenly of its own accord and without the pressing of any buttons, the program would jump backwards to the beginning of the recording buffer. Quite disconcerting. Pushing the forward jump button would bring the program back to where we were watching. This happended at least twice in 1.5 hours of viewing.

Jerry Joyce
Charlotte, NC

Software version: L356
Mode bug occurred in: Single / Dual
Dish setup: D1000
Description of bug: Zero Length Recordings & Disappearing Recordings

Have the 622 VIP for a week now - upgrading from a 921. So far I am NOT impressed.

1. Getting zero length recorded events - WTF?
2. Things I've recorded are disappearing - shows that it recorded properly in the schedule (says "Done") but aren't listed on the DVR!?
3. Video output quality over TV2 is pathetic - all kinds of artifacts, swimming blotches of pixels, especially bad with faces - looks like they are melting, very unnerving.
4. Bad video and sound stutter when using the back or forward skip button - worked much smoother and cleaner on my 921. The 622 seems to get out of synch and takes a couple seconds to get it's audio/video output straight again after a jump. The 921 never had this problem - when it skipped back or forward it was instant and clean.

Other things I hate about the 622:
1) Have to press DVR button twice now to get to my recordings. Stupid extra menu with Dish on Demand crap.
2) The default for setting up a timer is "ALL". I want "Once" as default. Why can't I set up my own defaults?
3) Why can't I record more than one HD show when in Single TV mode? (I could with the 921!)
4) Have to keep it plugged into a phone line to avoid the stupid fee - I NEVER use Dish on Demand or any feature needing a telephone line. Why should I be forced via a fee to use a phone line? Just asking for problems if the phone lines get hit with a lightning strike and zap the 622.
5) Video quality looks no better on the 622 than the 921. I would have expected at least a slight improvement.
6) Lip synch on many channels is horrendous. Never an issue on the 921.

So far I'm feeling like the 622 was a downgrade from the 921. At least my 921 was stable and did what I wanted. I only upgraded to the 622 in order to get more HD channels... but I didn't release that it would be so buggy. I'm really hoping they are working on its software... what they currently are running should have never left the lab!

Did you try a reboot or power cord reboot? Many of the bugs can be made to go away if you do a reboot. We are all waiting for software update to fix the video /audio stuttering. As far as recording I can record 3 things at once and I am in single mode. You might call Dish and talk to tech and see if they need to replace it.

fwsfish said:
can't seem to get the closed captions to work on any of the hd channels. Anybody else?

Neither have I. Can't get them to work through the 622 or the TV. Any tips?

Look in the guide and make sure it has (CC) on the program you are viewing.

I noted several HD channels that did not have (CC) and therefore would not work. 'ALL' of the ones that did, displayed captions except 'The Price Is Right' on CBS-HD.(They are passing it on the SD local though)

CC on your TV is only for Off Air(channels tuned by your TV set)... The 622 has no way to pass CC info through the HD/SD video outputs to the TV decoder. It is imbedded in the broadcast signal and by the time it reaches your TV, it is already stripped out.

Enable CC: MENU-8-8-1 Tick [o] Caption ON - Done

Mark, are you seeing captions on your high definition dish locals? (Not the over the air locals, but the dish retransmitted ones.) I don't see them on any high definition dish locals in the 63xx range nor the CBS High Definition channel out of New York, even though the program is listed as having CC.

New L3.57 Bug:
I was watching TV2 last night before bed, and I was watching (an allready DVR'd) Jimmy Kimmel Live, I decided to skip ahead to the next guest / segment so i used the skip-ahead button I must have pressed it 20 or so times (rapidly) when I returned after skipping, there was no audio output, I (soft) powered off, tried live tv, other shows, the only thing to fix it was rebooting the receiver... so i guess the *agile* output is still not fixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)