VIP 722 - external hard drive

levibluewa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
WA, OR, CA
If one cancels DISH is there a way to retrieve / watch the programs stored on the external drive. Also, the same question for an external drive hooked up to a VIP 211. Thanks!

If one cancels DISH is there a way to retrieve / watch the programs stored on the external drive. Also, the same question for an external drive hooked up to a VIP 211. Thanks!

Record to DVD in real time before cancelling. Once cancelled, there is no hope of EVER recovering, even if you resubscribe.

Hmmm...looks like I'm going to have a couple of large capacity hard drives available for an alternative use. I know this isn't the correct forum, however, while we're on the subject of external hard drives...does Directv offer the same capability on any of their units?

As I've mentioned before I switched from Directv to DISH many years ago because DISH had the superstation package and Dtv didn't. I subbed to those stations for years until the non-HD issue became an issue. With the recent dumping of the NYC & SF stations (also in blurry SD) there is little left that DISH offers to keep me. It would be nice to know why they have HD NYC conus channels uplinked or in reserve on 72.7, but I'm not patient enough to wait a couple of years at $60+ a month for an answer.

Hmmm...looks like I'm going to have a couple of large capacity hard drives available for an alternative use. I know this isn't the correct forum, however, while we're on the subject of external hard drives...does Directv offer the same capability on any of their units?

As I've mentioned before I switched from Directv to DISH many years ago because DISH had the superstation package and Dtv didn't. I subbed to those stations for years until the non-HD issue became an issue. With the recent dumping of the NYC & SF stations (also in blurry SD) there is little left that DISH offers to keep me. It would be nice to know why they have HD NYC conus channels uplinked or in reserve on 72.7, but I'm not patient enough to wait a couple of years at $60+ a month for an answer.

No. D* marries the EHD to the receiver, not the account, so if your DVR dies, you've lost your EHD material also. Not the brightest implementation- I presume they will one day fix that, but it's been this way for some time.

And, IIRC, the EHD replaces the internal HDD, not supplements it.

If you own your receiver, disconnect it from the satellite and internet before canceling Dish. The receiver never receives the "account deactivated" signal, so you can continue to watch content on the external HDD.

This would also work when going on "Dish Pause"

If you own your receiver, disconnect it from the satellite and internet before canceling Dish. The receiver never receives the "account deactivated" signal, so you can continue to watch content on the external HDD.

This would also work when going on "Dish Pause"

This will work for maybe a month, but the receiver will eventually time itself out and stop working with no satellite connection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)