Vip 722 Internal Hard Drive Replacement?

cant get a ST3500312CS to work on a 722

I just replaced a WD with a new ST3500312CS on a 722, but i get a 04ee error at boot up.

Can anyone help?

I just replaced a WD with a new ST3500312CS on a 722, but i get a 04ee error at boot up.

Can anyone help?

Are you SURE it's a "ST3500312CS" model, and not just a "C" model on the end on the model number? CS will work, C won't. 04ee error means "Drive not supported by firmware". I have personally installed several ST3500312CS in my VIP622, and they have worked fine. It should work fine in a 722 also. The "C" model will NOT work.

So I found the HD list in this thread after my 722K HD failed and thought it would be great to replace it with a 1TB drive. I managed to find a website that had a ST31000424CS for $55. Called them up and they had 2 left, asked if I wanted them both, so I said sure since they are so hard to find. Stuck one in the 722 and no dice. It gave me a message that it would format the drive, but when it finishes I see 'No harddrive, but I can still watch live tv' error just like I got with the bad one. So I try to watch live TV, but it never gets past the 'Acquiring Signal' screen (I get 2 green bars of the 5, but no more). I even left it overnight since some folks have stated it takes awhile for it to work after replacing the drive. If I remove the drive, or put the old bad 500GB one back in, I am able to watch channels. After I pull the 1TB drive back out and look at it with MiniTool Partition Wizard I see 4 partitions. 1.86 GB Ext, 2.62 GB Ext3, 250 Meg Other and 926.79 GB Other, so it seems the receiver is at least trying to use it, but something goes wrong.

I bought these before I got to the posts in the thread where folks suspected I'd only be able to use 500GB even with a 1 TB drive, so maybe I'm best off just looking for a 500GB drive. But if anyone has any ideas for getting the 1TB to work, I'm all ears.

It's all RUMOR about getting a larger drive to work. Have yet to see anyone report success.

500gb is large enough. Even if you'd somehow get a 1tb drive working, that's just a lot more shows you'd lose the next time your drive takes a crash.

I've had to replace my drive several times, and I simply don't believe it's possible to make a 1TB drive work internally in the older receivers. At least not until Dish decides to add them to the firmware.

I can confirm the Samsung HD503HI and HD502HI both worked fine in my ViP722 (not "k"). I've run them both inside the machine just this past week. The 1TB Hitachi HCS5C1010CLA382 did not work internally. I received the same results as RandyJ with the 1TB Seagate. Same Linux & Windows partitions, etc. I'm using the Hitachi in a PC at the moment, but I'm considering using it as an EHD for my 722. I also wondered about directly formatting it with Linux EXT3 before installing it in the 722 but I haven't tried that yet. I wonder if that's how one would make it work...

I can confirm the Samsung HD503HI and HD502HI both worked fine in my ViP722 (not "k"). I've run them both inside the machine just this past week. The 1TB Hitachi HCS5C1010CLA382 did not work internally. I received the same results as RandyJ with the 1TB Seagate. Same Linux & Windows partitions, etc. I'm using the Hitachi in a PC at the moment, but I'm considering using it as an EHD for my 722. I also wondered about directly formatting it with Linux EXT3 before installing it in the 722 but I haven't tried that yet. I wonder if that's how one would make it work...

Don't bother. If it won't format and work right away when installed internal to the receiver, there's no way to force it. Only drives with specs that are physically added to the firmware by Dish are capable of being used. There's not many on the list that are even easily available any more. Technology has almost completely bypassed them due to age.

I was thinking about buying a new 722k to replace my 625 with a dead HD, but It looks to me like most of the drives listed are not available as new units, several are only available as used, refurbished, etc, what gives, are the new VIP 722k receivers put out with obsolete hard drives? Thanks

Your best bet is to just have the whole receiver replaced by dish with a refurb.

It only costs $15 if you do not have the protection plan.

You would already be using the unit if you had done that.

I am a computer tech and I would never replace my own drive in one of these receivers, even if I owned it - it is miserable trying to find drives that work.

Just one letter off on the model number and it totally fails to work, these receivers are VERY particular.

And even though you order a specific drive number from a retailer, you can just about count on the guy stuffing the box to just pick up a similar drive and send it on to you - and it does not work.

Just letting others know I purchased a ST3500312CS hard drive from a ebay seller for my 722k, installed it, said timers would be saved and it will format drive.

Within 10 minutes everything was back to normal, although timers were not saved. not really a big deal as my current drive is still working fine (four years old) and I plan to re-install it and transfer recordings to a EHD, and timers to remote.

Got drive for 42 bucks shipped, and seller seems to have plenty more with a buy it now price of around $53.00. link below if anyone else is interested.
PHP:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seagate-Pipeline-HD-500-GB-Internal-SATA-5900-RPM-3-5-ST3500312CS-Hard-Drive-/290814720813?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item43b5e87b2d

Just letting others know I purchased a ST3500312CS hard drive from a ebay seller for my 722k, installed it, said timers would be saved and it will format drive.
The settings (including timers) on the ViP722K are supposed to be saved to the remote before something like this happens. The instructions are on page 89 of the manual (online version).

I am assuming you just use the system wizard? Will have to check the manual....thanks for the info, although I don't have that many timers anyway.

I just wanted to confirm that still to this date, no one has been able to successfully install a greater than 500GB internal HDD in the 722 (or equivalent)?

Thanks

I just wanted to confirm that still to this date, no one has been able to successfully install a greater than 500GB internal HDD in the 722 (or equivalent)?

Thanks

As far as I know, that is true. The interesting part, is that I just upgraded from a VIP622 (320gb internal drive) that I had upgraded myself to a 500gb drive, and it had MORE user recordable space available to it than the VIP722K I just changed to, that comes native with a 500gb drive.

So, Dish uses more drive space in the 722k receiver to do something that's reserved to them, leaving less space for us to record shows.

The settings (including timers) on the ViP722K are supposed to be saved to the remote before something like this happens. The instructions are on page 89 of the manual (online version).

I did save them to the remote, but can't figure out how to send them back to the receiver. not a big deal because I only had about 10 timers and was able to restore them without a problem. still would be nice to know. does it only work with a replacement receiver?

I did save them to the remote, but can't figure out how to send them back to the receiver. not a big deal because I only had about 10 timers and was able to restore them without a problem. still would be nice to know. does it only work with a replacement receiver?

Yes. If you start the System Wizard again on the same machine then it won't give you the option to restore.

As far as I know, that is true. The interesting part, is that I just upgraded from a VIP622 (320gb internal drive) that I had upgraded myself to a 500gb drive, and it had MORE user recordable space available to it than the VIP722K I just changed to, that comes native with a 500gb drive.

So, Dish uses more drive space in the 722k receiver to do something that's reserved to them, leaving less space for us to record shows.

Yes this is true. Typically on the older ViP units (and even the SD DVRs) Dish uses about half of the space of the drive. So on the 722/k it uses about 250GB of the 500GB for "reserved" use. With only 320GB in the 622, it probably only uses about 160GB for "reserved" space even when upgraded to the 500GB. DVR 625, which had the 250GB HDD, used 125GB at first, however in a later update they reduced the "reserved" space to give "up to 150 hours" of recording up from "up to 100 hours."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)