ViP612 Not Updating Guide Past Couple Weeks

slick1ru2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
The South
I've had to call twice to get the guide updated. Last week, the guide wasn't downloaded and wouldn't by just rebooting the receiver. Matter of fact, holding the power button in, it just skipped over the downloading guide. When I hit the guide button and got the error message it needed to download it, it took like 5 seconds and the menu download pop up disappeared. It took level 2 tech support to update the guide over the internet. The check switch is fine. This week, same, or at least, similar thing. About 20% of the content is "info not available" this afternoon. Its set to update, and there hasn't been any power issues. I couldn't set to record an item there was info for, the Create Timer menu wouldn't pop up when I hit select. Support did another over the internet guide update. I just wonder if there is a glitch from this newest software update. Going to wait another week before changing the receiver out. Anyone else have this type issue?

I've been having multiple issues with my 612 as well, but not that one. It decided, out of the blue, when not even on, that it had overheated. Power plug reset fixed that. Now, last night and this afternoon, it has refused to turn on, and the screen saver was frozen. Soft reset fixed that. Also, when snow was on the dish, I tried to watch a recorded program. It froze on me (static picture, no sound) and required a soft reset 5 times before I could finish the program. :( But I can't say that I have had any guide problem, other than needing to update it after it's been frozen for a number of hours. If if it didn't do that automatically after booting up, I triggered it by hitting the guide button and using the right arrow until it asked to download.

I just wonder if there is a glitch from this newest software update. Going to wait another week before changing the receiver out. Anyone else have this type issue?

Software update?

No issue with any of my three.

Not on any of my three so far.

(All three at L701 from May of last year)

Last edited:
Not a clue what s/w version our 612 is currently at but,last Monday night I had it set to record Raw,just happened to go to the kitchen and noticed the red light wasn't on,I turned the tv on and the picture was frozen.I reset it,it took the usual 5-7 minutes to reboot,recording started,then the fan kicked on.Definitely shouldn't have been too hot,room temp was 68-69F and it's well ventilated.Prior to that there had been no issues,and there haven't been any since.Just hoping TWD didn't freeze up.Better go check!

I also had several things I recorded two weeks ago be much longer than they should have been, like 3 or 4 hours recorded for a 1 hour show.

ViP612 owners, especially TheKrell and Teehar, come over to the bar. I've taken over for Bobby for a spell. Everybody gotta go potty eventually. Try this sweet refreshing beverage. Then hop over to see my HT, where I shall [strike]indoctrinate[/strike] demonstrate it for you. Drink DEEP. THAT'S nice! Here, have a smoke! That's right, sign right here.

You SHALL be assimilated!
;)

Not on any of my three so far.

(All three at L701 from May of last year)

My problem 612 has L701 as well. I don't recall ever having these issue with any other receivers in 12 years with Dish.

ViP612 owners, especially TheKrell and Teehar, come over to the bar. I've taken over for Bobby for a spell. Everybody gotta go potty eventually. Try this sweet refreshing beverage. Then hop over to see my HT, where I shall [strike]indoctrinate[/strike] demonstrate it for you. Drink DEEP. THAT'S nice! Here, have a smoke! That's right, sign right here.

;)

Resistance is futile!

Do you realize the long term effects of Haller's Reserve? Why, in 40 years you might regret your early decision to drink something that brought you some pleasure... ;)

My wife was home sick all day and nary a hiccup on our problem 612. Huh. Maybe the trick is never to turn it off.

;)
Sweet refreshing beverage? Sorry, I'm not drinking the Hopper Kool-Aid. :D

It can also be vaped and comes in cookies, candies and brownies! And all day suckers!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts