VIP722 Connections - HDMI?

bertherr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
I just had a VIP722 installed. The installer recommended using component cables between my 722 & my Panasonic 720p plasma TV. He said that he has stopped trying to use HDMI cables because if you do not get the right ones the picture will "pixellate". Everything I have read and have been told states that the HDMI cables give the best picture quality.
How do I select the proper HDMI cable? Can anyone recommend one? A 6ft one work.

Thanks, Bert

First, your don't need a $100 HDMI when a $15 cable from Monoprice.com will perform perfectly. Offhand, digital TVs work best with HDMI or DVI cables while analog TVs, such as my older Mitsubishi Diamond rear-projection CRT, work best with component cables. While I was glad to spend a few extra dollars for quality component cables and speaker wire, I would have only wasted my money if I had purchased an expensive HDMI cable.

Moreover, in some cases you may not noticed a difference component and HDMI. For example, I have a Sony LCD that has a native resolution of 1386x788 and I don't notice a difference between component/HDMI on this set. You may wish to borrow a HDMI cable from a tech savvy co-worker and give it a try. If you do not notice a discernable difference then you may wish to keep the component cables in place. Since the DishHD-Lite product is already being downrezzed and bit-starved, you probably won't notice an improvement using HDMI.

Lastly, pixelation probably has more to do with a faulty receiver, bad installation/equipment, Dish Network software or bit-starved/bandwidth starved DishHD-Lite than it does a bad HDMI cable.

I highly recommend the low-cost, high-quality cables from Monoprice.com.

I just had a VIP722 installed. The installer recommended using component cables between my 722 & my Panasonic 720p plasma TV. He said that he has stopped trying to use HDMI cables because if you do not get the right ones the picture will "pixellate". Everything I have read and have been told states that the HDMI cables give the best picture quality.
How do I select the proper HDMI cable? Can anyone recommend one? A 6ft one work.

Thanks, Bert
I would just leave things as they are. On my plasma, component actually looks a TAD better...better color?!?1

I would just leave things as they are. On my plasma, component actually looks a TAD better...better color?!?1

Probably because of the service setup on your inputs. Get that puppy tuned up and HDMI should at least equal component.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts