ViP722 Replacement

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ralfyguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 17, 2005
McAlester, Oklahoma
Seems my 722 is starting to go south. Frequent lockups and reboots. Do they still make those or are they just gonna send a 722k nowadays? BTW, I own that receiver and I have the replacement program I pay for monthly.

It will be a reman they send you, and it will probably be the exact model you now have. Been out of production for years. I think the only thing still in production is the HWS and ViP211z.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Seems my 722 is starting to go south. Frequent lockups and reboots. Do they still make those or are they just gonna send a 722k nowadays? BTW, I own that receiver and I have the replacement program I pay for monthly.

There was a long, long thread about 622/722/722k and whether someone will get a certain type. What I can tell you is it is most likely you will get the exact same model as you have if it is replaced. Unless there is a shortage of that model (722), and there's generally not one. And as navychop said, you will get a re-manufactured model, the 722 and 722k aren't being made any longer.

Thanks for the reply guys. Another question: I haven't been on here often anymore, so I kinda missed out on all the new Hopper stuff. I currently have a owned 722 as my secondary and a leased 622 as my primary receiver. I have a 1000.2 Dish and a 500 wing dish pointed at 61.5. What would it take to get a Hopper with OTA?
What changes does my wiring need?
I have the 722 in my living room and the 622 in my son's room. I have HD in both rooms since 2007 and I am with Dish since 2003. Just some info.

Pretty sure he has a WA dish. McAlester should be in the Tulsa DMA and not Ft Smith unless something has changed. However both are Western Arc dma's. Definitely PM a DIRT member, I bet upgrade to H/J is $50 or less with new commitment.

Yes, I've missed your avatars. ;)

If you go Hopper, the only other receiver allowed on the account is a single owned ViP211 series. Wiring is a little different. Two or three coax from the dish to a single or duo node and then out to one or more Hoppers and Joeys. Lots of options there. A node is a necessity. 3GHz coax is required for at least part of the install, and generally now for the entire install, assuming more than a single Hopper with Joey(s).

I suspect they'll want to make you a pure EA or WA. Do you have this setup due to LoS issues?

You currently have 4 satellite tuners. With a single Hopper, you'll have 3. But one of those can be used during Prime Time to pull in all 4 of the "OTA" networks, assuming you have all 4. So it's kinda 6, sometimes. Two Hoppers offers redundancy and 6 sat tuners, but at a cost. You'd save money going with a single Hopper and a single Joey, and pay less than you do today (I think). If you go with the Hopper With Sling, you gegt a faster CPU, more memory, built in Sling, some future proofing, built in wifi and the ability to transfer programs to an iPad (& maybe an Android tablet soon). I suspect you'll be happy with 1 HWS and 1 Joey, unless your son records a whole lot.

You can buy a USB OTA dongle. One OTA tuner per Hopper.

Good night... is there like an idiot's guide for the Hopper connections & options somewhere??
(Not trying to hijack the thread - just had to comment on that post Navychop!)

Yes I have a WA setup and the 61.5 set up is from back then when HD programming was mirrored from 129 and 61.5. What I had going there was that in bad weather the receiver often got the HD from 61.5 when 129 and 110 went out, depending on where the weather came from. The bad weather usually doesn't come from the east, so i used that as redundancy. It worked pretty well I must say. Now that wing dish is kinda useless anymore I've heard. I just left it there because I hate ladders and didn't wanna take it down.
My son records a lot and so am I.
I really don't wanna change the wiring as back in the day when I got HD I ran the coax and then put siding over the top. You cannot see any wires on my house. I think I have the 2.3 GHZ RG6, the good stuff back then. I think it said 3GHZ swept on it. There is two runs from the dish to the outside grounding block and continues to each receiver. The wing dish is hooked up to the input of the 1000.2. No splitters or anything.

It depends on how much live programming you watch while recording. The Hopper only has 3 sat tuners and if Prime Time Anytime is enabled, one tuner will record the Big 4 networks leaving 2 other tuners for recording or watching live sat programming. You may want 2 Hoppers or what you have now may suffice. My sister had your setup and they ended up going with 2 Hoppers, to have enough tuners for recording what she wanted and what her husband wanted and still have a live tuner to watch on.

I personally decided to just stick with my 722 and a couple of 211's with dvr functionality enabled. I like taking a 211 to the lake, although with Sling and dsl at the lake now, I just use sling unless I'm spending a whole week or longer at the lake house.

IMO The cabling should be fine, others will disagree.

If I only knew if my wires would cut it doing the required 3GHZ stuff. How many runs from the dish would it need with a Hopper and a Joey? And would they let me install it myself?
Maybe it is possible to fish the new wires while pulling the old ones out underneath the siding...

If I only knew if my wires would cut it doing the required 3GHZ stuff. How many runs from the dish would it need with a Hopper and a Joey? And would they let me install it myself?
Maybe it is possible to fish the new wires while pulling the old ones out underneath the siding...

2 runs from dish to single node if only 1 hopper. 3 runs to duo node if 2 hoppers

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I just found the wiring schematics. The runs from the dish to the node is up to 2150 MHZ, and the runs from the node to the Joey can be even lower. The run from the node to the Hopper is what needs to be up to 3GHZ. That would be easy to replace in my house as everything is in my basement which is one big open space.
Now the question is does the Dish 1000.2 need to be replaced or does that work with the Dish Pro heads?

Is there really that much difference in the copper of the coax that one RG6 can do 3GHZ and the other can't?

The run from the node to the Hopper(s) must be 3GHz, although now they're tending toward it ALL being 3GHz. But frankly, most RG-6 coax should work just fine. 3GHz indicates it was "tested" to 3 GHz not that it was made differently. That said, I'm sure somebody has figured a way to make cheap shoddy RG-6. Your connectors might need to be replaced. But I suspect that your setup will be fine. They can put the node near the dish and just connect to the coax currently feeding your boxes.

Currently it's RG6, two runs about 20 feet down from the Dish 1000.2 behind vinyl siding wedged between the foam boards. Then the grounding block and from there into the open basement hanging from the rafters to the 722 and 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts