Von Weise motors

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Found a motor that came with a freebie dish, got it about 4 yrs ago and never really looked at the motor. Outer tube is rusty and the motor end had a big plastic cover over most of it, but it looked horrendous when I took the dish down and brought it home. So I never thought much about it again-the dish was a perfect 10, but it's more like 8' I think, not ten, it's been fixed on 105 for the HITS programming so I didnt need a motor.
Today I started tinkering with this thing, and found the label under the dirt and rust-its a von weise, first I've ever had. But it doesn't work, the insides were rusty, the terminal strip where all the wires attach looks pretty nasty. And I can't tell whether its a pot-type feedback or what, been a long time since I've worked on motors lol. It does have a little round wheel, two actually, that have magnets in them, beyond that I will have to get my satellite bible out and try to find what is what. Has anybody ever worked on re-doing one of these, are parts available anywhere? I took the tube loose and looked in the end, looks shiny and well lubricated. This brand always had a great reputation, if it can be revived it would be nice to have a backup actuator. Info appreciated!

Hey T, Von Weise is still in business so there may be a source for parts. And I thought I remembered a thread here on the forums somewhere where someone did an in-depth tutorial with lots of pics of the rebuild of one.

I did a search and couldn't find it, maybe someone else can link you to it.

Found a motor that came with a freebie dish, got it about 4 yrs ago and never really looked at the motor. Outer tube is rusty and the motor end had a big plastic cover over most of it, but it looked horrendous when I took the dish down and brought it home. So I never thought much about it again-the dish was a perfect 10, but it's more like 8' I think, not ten, it's been fixed on 105 for the HITS programming so I didnt need a motor.
Today I started tinkering with this thing, and found the label under the dirt and rust-its a von weise, first I've ever had. But it doesn't work, the insides were rusty, the terminal strip where all the wires attach looks pretty nasty. And I can't tell whether its a pot-type feedback or what, been a long time since I've worked on motors lol. It does have a little round wheel, two actually, that have magnets in them, beyond that I will have to get my satellite bible out and try to find what is what. Has anybody ever worked on re-doing one of these, are parts available anywhere? I took the tube loose and looked in the end, looks shiny and well lubricated. This brand always had a great reputation, if it can be revived it would be nice to have a backup actuator. Info appreciated!
Here is a post about a Von Weise that I took apart and refurbished. The motor was in pretty good shape but inside the tube was really bad. Luckily I didn't need to replace any parts on it. :)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3904889/

Wow I had a 2 day time warp on this project, thanks for all the info. FTA4PA had a great pictorial of his refurb-a-motor job too. Mine doesn't look quite like his did on the inside, so I'll try to get some pictures up soon. Actually I think he re-manufactured that von. His thread was timely-today I was doing exactly the same, trying to remove several years worth of that old lichen-crap off my 10 SAMI. Bought a new brush and extension pole, wet it down, scrubbed awhile and rinsed with high pressure water hose. Hilarious-right in the middle of that job, it started raining ( I was already drenched lol). Thanks for the replies...

Reactions: FTA4PA
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts