VOOM $49 Special Lease Offer Installation Starts Today!

I have my STBs leased right now, but if Voom becomes more stable and grows a solid base I'd buy their STBs and save on the lease fees.

will the present STB support MPG4/WM9 when it comes out, or does itnot have enough horsepower?

occammd said:
will the present STB support MPG4/WM9 when it comes out, or does itnot have enough horsepower?
Most of the processing will be handled by the add-on module. I assume the box has enough HP (CPU, memory) since engineers at Motorola planned for this module from the beginning. We shall see...

What I want to know is what is VOOM going to do with all of the left over STBs when they swap them out for DVRs? They will become useless after that if they are planning on upgrading everyone, right?

Just an idea, how about let current customers lease the new DVR STB for the same price($9.50/mo) and keep their current STB for a discounted $5/mo. Everyone comes out a winner, I am sure many people would pay for the additional receiver at a discount price and Voom would not have to figure out what to do with the leftovers...makes sense to me. :yes

Im sure many people will go with a main DVR and a regular STB for their room my friend, I was e-mailed a memo that all the old Voom 18" dishes will get sent back to Voom after the elliptical dish upgrade. they will be repainted with "Standard Definition Relics" and sold to Dish.

and, dont forget the fact that not EVERYONE wants a DVR; I see NO REASON to have one, unless you travel overnight regularly, and have some regular shows you just have to record in HD..I mean, do you REALLY need to record Terminator of The Fugitive, since all that kind of stuff is on several times EVERY month anyway?
I know some folks just can't live without their daily dose of Oprah, but I can't imagine Voom or ANY one of the video providers making making DVR "standard equipment"..there are LOTS of folks like me who don't want a DVR at this point..
Maybe in 5 years or so, when most stuff is in HD...

I have VaVaVoom and I constantly miss movies on the Premiums in HD, and I have to hope that the next time they show it, will be looped or in primetime so I can catch it. I would have liked to record the Olympics in HD everyday and just filter through the crap and watch the events. I have missed all the long, triple, high jumping events in HD, most of the races. I also can't force my family to watch Olympics HD everyday when there are other things they want to see. Even myself I spent most of last night watching the Marlins in HD. If I had a DVR it would make viewing better, and I don't travel every night regularly. THere are also some things I would like to burn to DVD and keep, if the DVR doesn't have a DVD burner option, then at least to d/l to my PC. I think if Voom comes out with a lease or payment plan on their DVR it would be a big, big, hit.

yes, I agree that LOTS of folks would LOVE DVDR with Voom; my only point is I hope it doesnt become MANDATORY to have it as part of your STB...

And, I also agree that it needs to have the ability to burn dvd's for folks to keep archive of historical stuff, like, Olympics, World Series, etc, but Hollywood has a different opinion on THAT topic!

its nice to see that Voom is moving forward on some of these hot topics..its obvious they MONITOR this board for folks ideas and opinions, so its up to us to keep them flowing!!

DVR is also good for those of us unfortunate enough to work on second shift and not catch the shows they want to really watch. ::cough:: That 70's Show

I tried calling and signing up for this deal just 2 minutes ago and the little girl who could hardly speak didn't know anything about it. She sounded as if she was 12. How do I get this deal?

Look at Scott's 2nd post you need a Voom dealer not Voom direct... if you ask me this is a good deal Voom should offer it from their phone line...

Dvlos said:
I have my STBs leased right now, but if Voom becomes more stable and grows a solid base I'd buy their STBs and save on the lease fees.

Wait wait just a minute here. The STB is $450.00, the lease is $10.00. Thats 45 months!! What will the technology be then? I will stick to leasing and hope that the DVR doesn't add to the lease .

NEWS FLASH--
In the mail today was the Sears "Fall Sale" information. For the first time ever in one of these mailers that have been sent here, there was a big spread announcing Voom. It also had the details about the $49 deal, and the cost of the base package. This thing said that $39.90 covered the base pack, which also included a 'sports pak', and that ESPN-HD was part of the 'sports pak'.

wase4711 said:
and, dont forget the fact that not EVERYONE wants a DVR; ..
You ought to try one first - not being tied to the networks scheduling is GREAT - watch what you want when YOU want to or can. Skipping over commercials on recorded programs is GREAT!!! Pausing a live show to answer the phone or make a bio break is GREAT!!

I used to have DISH with a PVR 500. I didn't think I would use it that much, but I really miss it.

My 2 cents

People who don't think they need a PVR have never tried one. Once you have it, you can't live without it. I sold my Dish 501 since I no longer sub to any Dish SD, but I now have a Panny E85H hard drive/DVD recorder and use it extensively.