Voom and InFocus X1 problems

oddwunn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Hello everyone,

I just had Voom installed today and I ran into a few problems that I was hoping someone could help with:

1. I have a 4:3 screen and my InFocus is set to 4:3. With my old DTC 100, the aspect ratios were correct for both SD and HD. With the Voom box, the only way I can get 16:9 source material to display correctly is to change my X1's AR to 16:9, but then all 4:3 material appears squished vertically. If I leave the projector on 4:3, then the 4:3 material is displayed correctly, but the 16:9 material is stretched vertically. How can I set the Voom box to automatically correct the AR?

2. My channel giude is missing most, if not all of my OTA stations. Is there a "channel search" feature somewhere on the box?

3. None of the stations are showing any information in the guide to tell me what is playing, yet when I switch to the station, the movie (or show) is there. Any ideas how to fix it?

4. On my InFocus X1, if I feed the component output of the Voom box to the component/s-video input of the X1, the only mode that will display anything is 480i. If I take the same component output of the Voom box, feed it to a component to RGB transcoder, and then feed the RGB output of the transcoder to the RGB input of the X1, then I can use any of the resolutions. Is the component input of the X1 insufficient to handle anything greater than 480i?

Thanks...I am really looking forward to getting these bugs worked out. :)

oddwunn,

Welcome.

I think I'll take the easy ones:

1- no scanning OTA feature yet (next software release). In your PG which OTA channels are showing?

2- How long since your installation. It takes about 45 minutes for the information to download to your box.

Thanks for the quick reply, Sean!

1. The guide is showing channels 12-1, 53-1, 53-2, 53-3, and 53-4. 12-1 is Providence station, but I can't get it from here. My antenna is pointed towrds Boston and none of those stations are on the guide. BTW, the installer did not install my antenna. I had installed a CM 4248 myself a couple of years ago and it has been working perfectly with my D* boxes.

2. Yeah, I was just too anxious...The Voom sat stations are now there, but the OTA stations are still missing.

Do you have a component to RGB adapter? that is what I use on mine and have used my E* 6000u to output to it. (of course I can use the rgb from the 6000 also) your are talking using a component to s-vhs right? I do not have that adapter so I cannot try it.

dfergie said:
Do you have a component to RGB adapter? that is what I use on mine and have used my E* 6000u to output to it. (of course I can use the rgb from the 6000 also) your are talking using a component to s-vhs right? I do not have that adapter so I cannot try it.

Yes, I am using a component to RGB transcoder, but I originally bought that transcoder for use in my big system (a 9" CRT projector), as CRT projectors only have RGB-HV inputs (or at least mine does). I was hoping to connect component out from the Voom box to the component input of the X1 using the component to s-video adapter that you mentioned. Offhand it looks as if the component/s-video input of the X1 can not handle anything greater than 480i
:(

oddwunn said:
Thanks for the quick reply, Sean!

1. The guide is showing channels 12-1, 53-1, 53-2, 53-3, and 53-4. 12-1 is Providence station, but I can't get it from here. My antenna is pointed towrds Boston and none of those stations are on the guide. BTW, the installer did not install my antenna. I had installed a CM 4248 myself a couple of years ago and it has been working perfectly with my D* boxes.

2. Yeah, I was just too anxious...The Voom sat stations are now there, but the OTA stations are still missing.

Your stb has been probably mapped to the incorrect set of OTA channels. A few things that can be done. Sent me an email with the following information: your complete address, zipcode, the stations that are showing in your PG the dma that they are mapping. Go to antennaweb.org and sent me all the digital stations that you should be getting the dma that they belong to. VOOM will need to switch your dma. This does not happens overnight but it will happen much faster (I think) than getting your stations mapped. Send the email to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us.

Ok, will do. If it will speed things up any, I want to map to the same stations as Tim (user rudolpht) who I believe frequents this forum. Tim lives about 20 miles north from me, but I want to map to his stations, not the Providence ones.

Thanks again, Sean!

For $10.00 You Can Get A Component to RGB From Infocus. Then You Can Do 1080i.
On the stb You Can Go Into The System Settings An In 1. Picture Format You Select
Pillar Box or Stretched But Remember To Hit The Save Changes and Return Button

Thanks, wbuffetta, but I am a bit confused.

Let me see if I have this right:

I have a 4:3 screen
Leave the X1 set to 4:3
In the Voom settings, set "narrow to wide" to either 'stretch' or 'pillar box'?

I was trying to set "wide to narrow" to 'letterbox', but the control does not seem to have any effect.

I checked the FAQ, but I could not find out where I can ascertain the software version, and maybe my software is just too old? All I can find is "v16", but that does not translate to the software versions listed in the FAQ.

And where can I change the time in my guide? It is off by one hour.

Sorry about all these newbie questions, but I couldn't find the answers in the FAQ, so I figured it would be best to ask here.

Thanks for all of your patience.

wbuffetta said:
For $10.00 You Can Get A Component to RGB From Infocus. Then You Can Do 1080i.
On the stb You Can Go Into The System Settings An In 1. Picture Format You Select
Pillar Box or Stretched But Remember To Hit The Save Changes and Return Button
Yes this is the one I was talking about...they ship them pretty quick. Get on the infocus website to order.

Thanks, guys, I ordered one last night! :D

I also noticed on the InFocus site that they specifically mentioned that the component to s-video adapter would only support 480i, which was confirmed by my findings.

I have also noticed that the various setting in the Picture Format setting do nothing at all, and yes, I am saving the changes.

Is there a way to force a software update? And how can I tell what version is loaded? I can't find the info anywhere, nor could I find any mention of it in the FAQ.

After I get these issues settled, then I will tackle the local channel mappings. Zap2it has the right info, but my IRD won't find them, and Iv'e now tried several factory resets and many software reboots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts