Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Source

Not much that we did not know but here's another press release

Satellite HDTV provider VOOM, launched with great fanfare last fall, announced its new "Whole-House" digital video recorder and tuner. The DVR hardware, manufactured by Motorola, uses software written by Ucentric (www.ucentric.com) of Maynard, MA. VOOM's DVR has four tuners, and delivers HD content from the company's satellite HDTV service.

The Whole-House DVR uses coax cable as its underlying network transport, with small set-top boxes that can attach to different TVs in the house. Since the DVR has four built-in tuners, you could have three TVs displaying different content while recording another show. One of the key attributes is the ability to shift your TV viewing from one room to another with a single button click.

The VOOM product also acts as a thin client for a PC, allowing it to serve up digital music and JPEG picture files to your TV. However, the TV cannot act directly as a VOOM client, other than allowing for analog video input from the VOOM system, which would then be at standard definition resolutions. Recorded content may be viewed on any TV that has a VOOM media adapter. The DVR is capable of recording both standard definition and HD signals.

The VOOM service itself delivers 30-plus channels of high definition TV. Additionally, local channels (including standard definition channels) are delivered over terrestrial signals via a VOOM supplied and installed antenna. Currently, the company is in negotiations with a variety of content providers to add both new HDTV and standard definition signals to the service.

The VOOM DVR is slated to roll out in mid-2004. Pricing has not been set.

Sean,

I believe the thread topic would be more accurate if it stated "Voom announces intent to introduce a HD DVR in the summer of 2004".

Derek

Thanks for the observation. I just took the title from the Press Release. But yours sounds more realistic and better. Thanks again.

It looks really innovative!!

As this will be my first post to this group I will start out by saying that I was at CES 2004 and watched the demos on the Motorola PVR. The concept that they use is different than what Direct and Tivo have done. Voom's PVR will have a central server and various thin clients. For example if you have a HDTV in one room, a SDTV in another, and your stereo in a third room; then you will have three separate boxes with one being the server and the other two will have streaming cabability. This system will also include features similar to the Direct Tivo's unsupported home media option. You will be able to stream various data sources from your home computer using this system.

On another note I currently have 2 Direct Tivo systems in my house with an addional 1 HD Direct setup box and 1 SD Direct setup box. I now have the dilema of whether or not to switch to Voom or try to run it in paralell with Direct. If anyone has done a pro / con analysis I would be interested in it.

Lastly, I have been anxiously awaiting the HD Tivo and Halo 2 since CES 2003 both of which have up till now been continoulsy delayed. It now appears that I will see the HD Tivo first. Last I heard Voom was going to try to have their PVR system availabe as early as July of this year but we all know how that goes!

Thanks,
Mike

This sounds like a WONDERFUL device. Perhaps Dish has a thing or two to learn from Voom when it comes to this, either that or Dish does not want to spend the money.

4 tuners = 4 LNBs??

Can anyone comment/inform on the dish structure of Voom? If there are 4 tuners in the DVR, will it require 4 LNBs? Are 2 for satellite and 2 for OTA? Will it require a dish upgrade, or will this be more similar to a 2-room Voom installation?

Thanks...

The Dish has 2 LNBs and it will require a switch (if you nee more than one receiver). If you only have the DVR then you don't need a switch but just the Dual LNB. Yes, two tuners for Sat and 2 Tuners for OTA. More like a 2-room Voom installation but going to one box.

My favorite part of the demo was the transfer feature.

Say you are watching a movie on the big screen in HD. Get a little tired and really want to go to bed but not miss the last 30 minutes. Simple pause it and select transfer to bedroom. Go to your bedroom and choose play on your SDTV and continue right where you left off.

They also showed how you could "broadcast" to all the tv's at once.

I really liked this box's features in the demo. If they pull it off with a stable product, I think they will gain a lot of users. (at least us techology geeks will have to have it).

Transfers...

My ReplayTV currently has this feature... Alas, there is no guide support for Voom right now...

Hopefully Tivo and Replay will update their systems...

orcatek said:
My favorite part of the demo was the transfer feature.

Say you are watching a movie on the big screen in HD. Get a little tired and really want to go to bed but not miss the last 30 minutes. Simple pause it and select transfer to bedroom. Go to your bedroom and choose play on your SDTV and continue right where you left off.

They also showed how you could "broadcast" to all the tv's at once.

I really liked this box's features in the demo. If they pull it off with a stable product, I think they will gain a lot of users. (at least us techology geeks will have to have it).

My favorite part was when I turned around and looked behind the demo and saw the playboy models!! Speaking of which when is HDPB launching? Will they offer a monthly fee option like Direct?

-Mike

DVR Brochure...

Guys,
I went through some of my CES 2004 junk and I found the Voom DVR brochure. Have fun!

-Mike

Attachments

• voom_dvr_front.jpg
    voom_dvr_front.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 1,065
  • voom_dvr_back.jpg
    voom_dvr_back.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 849
Mike,

thanks for posting. If VOOM is able to pull this off, it will leave everyone else behind.

Sean Mota said:
The Dish has 2 LNBs and it will require a switch (if you nee more than one receiver). If you only have the DVR then you don't need a switch but just the Dual LNB. Yes, two tuners for Sat and 2 Tuners for OTA. More like a 2-room Voom installation but going to one box.

Howdy Sean,
Thanks to you & all for the fine info. :cool:

I have a VOOM install in half-completion,- started on Monday, but never got a signal (or anything working right), so they're coming back....

Q: May I have the installers run a second line to my one-room set-up [Free?] now, saving myself the headache of inviting them back whenever the VOOM HD PVR is available?

Bukowski said:
Howdy Sean,
Thanks to you & all for the fine info. :cool:

I have a VOOM install in half-completion,- started on Monday, but never got a signal (or anything working right), so they're coming back....

Q: May I have the installers run a second line to my one-room set-up [Free?] now, saving myself the headache of inviting them back whenever the VOOM HD PVR is available?

I do not think the local installer will do that if there's no need to do so. These people are not trying to do a lot of work (some I may say).

Sean Mota said:
I do not think the local installer will do that if there's no need to do so. These people are not trying to do a lot of work (some I may say).
Hmmm... That's too bad, - considering the notes herein concerning installation of up to 4 lines.

They're charging $50 to install a phone jack nearby, which needed to be done. They're good guys, so no worries. :cool: I'll ask. Why not, eh?! :yes

It's my bill. ==> I should be the one determining the "need." ;)

[You're not one of the folks having diplexer issues, correct?]

Thanks Sean.
over & out-

I still have a lot of questions about the DVR. Do the thin clients have receivers or are the only receivers in the DVR? If you have three TVs with two being served by thin clients can different shows be seen all TVs? Can the client tell the DVR what to record?

I can think of a whole bunch more questions. I guess we just won't know until the DVR and thin clients come out.

Here is my understanding:
Do the thin clients have receivers or are the only receivers in the DVR?
Receivers (tuners) are in the main box (with DVR).
If you have three TVs with two being served by thin clients can different shows be seen all TVs?
Yes, each client can choose one of the 4 available tuners in the main STB (2 sat. + 2 OTA), or it may choose to watch from the DVR. If you want to be able to watch 3 different sat. channels at the same time you need 2 main boxes (with DVRs).
Can the client tell the DVR what to record?
Yes!

I was just told by a CSR that the DVR will be avaliable around October or November of this year. I thought it would be by this summer. Has anyone else heard this?? Thanks.

Vooms DVR Motorola DSR580

Got an e-mail from Voom about its DVR coming sometime in the 3 Quater of this year here are some of the features "VOOM's HD Home Media Network is being developed as state-of-the-art and the first of its kind anywhere in the world. VOOM will have the only DBS service with both HD DVR and Multiple HD sessions networked off a single drive over the in-home network. This will be the most advanced HD home product available," said Michael Collette, chief executive officer, Ucentric Systems. "We are very pleased to partner with VOOM in bringing this highly innovative product offering to market."

Additional key features of the VOOM HD Home Media Network will include:
Standard DVR functionality: stop, start, rewind and fast-forward at the touch of a button
Separate television control: pause and rewind a program on one television, while continuing to watch the same program on another television
Record and play - whenever: record a program in one room and play it in another, at any time
"Follow Me": pause a television program in one room and then continue watching the same program in another room
Content organization: organize recorded content in folders and set parental controls that download automatically to each television in the house
Music and photos: upload both music and photos from a computer, which can then be managed through on-screen television menus and enjoyed anywhere in the house

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)