Voom Audio Hook-up

xtc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 23, 2004
I've read various things on what's better, Optical or Coaxial cable audio hook up. In my Audio Receiver, For the TV/Sat Optical jack, I have a Playstation 2 hooked up. But there is an empty TV/Sat Coaxial jack and I was thinking of buying a coxial cable and using that to hook up Voom. My question is if both my PS2 and Voom are hooked up to the TV/Sat audio function on the audio receiver (even though one is coaxial and one is optical hookup) could this cause any audio problems or is it perfectly fine?

Also a more general question, if I go with Coaxial over Optical, would I be getting basically the same sound if i had gone with optical? I heard that basically, I'd hear the same thing if i go with either one. Your thoughts?

I have used both Coaxial and optical and heard really no difference in sound quality. How many optical connections does your stereo receiver have? I have my playstation sound connected into the MDat and the Voom in the TV/Sat. The only problem with the way you have it set up is that you have to tell your receiver which type of sound input to use or if your receiver has an auto dectect capability.

My audio receiver has 2 optical connections ("TV/Sat" & "DVD"). I have my PS2 connected to the "TV/SAT" and my DVD Recorder hooked up to the "DVD." so the opticals are maxed out but that coaxial "TV/Sat" is open. I think my receiver has the auto detect capability, i just don't want this type of connection to diminish any sound quality.

xtc said:
My audio receiver has 2 optical connections ("TV/Sat" & "DVD"). I have my PS2 connected to the "TV/SAT" and my DVD Recorder hooked up to the "DVD." so the opticals are maxed out but that coaxial "TV/Sat" is open. I think my receiver has the auto detect capability, i just don't want this type of connection to diminish any sound quality.

It shoudn't. I have one 2 input for digital sound. But I am using three digital sound connection. The DVD has two inputs. One optical coax and the other is the toslink. I have connected both my DVD and VOOM to this input. The only thing I have to do is turn off the DVD to get the sound from VOOM. No degradation of sound.

right so in my case as long as i have 2 separate digital connections to the "TV/SAT" function in the receiver - one optical and one coaxial and I only have one item turned on, then there should be no diminished sound or intereference right?

Also in choosing a Coaxial cable to buy, Is there a real difference between a Monster brand and a GE brand? I once tested a regular GE component cable vs. an Ultra series Monster component cable and I did not see any difference. Did the same thing with S-Video and didn't see a difference. Is it the same thing with Audio if i compared the 2 brands' coaxial cables? the price difference is huge.

I just moved my Voom DD connection from Toslink to coax and there was no difference in sound.

Monster cable is sometimes over priced. The GE cables should be just fine. Are you ordering the cables online? I would go to www.cableamerica.com and check out there cables too. I believe they use the Liberty cable brand, which I have been using and had no problems and paid less.

Most of the following is dependent on your receiver but...

Optical/fiber will give you greater bandwidth and is not affected by outside noise. Optical/fiber can be damaged easily by bending to far, crushing, or dirty connections.

Coax is not much affected by bending and the connections are not as sensitive to dust, smirs, etc.. but can be affected by noise if shielding isn't very good or the RF interference is very strong.

Basically, with the average audio signal you will not notice any difference in sound output quality. However, in coax with the 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 outputs today when very dinamic sounds are forwarded to a reciever the sound may be slightly delayed or sound somewhat distorted because the bandwidth isn't quite enough. You will probably only notice this with Ton's of sounds like a battle seen were there are multiple explosions, talking, etc.. going on all at once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts