VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No offense to the Monster/Kung Fu fans, if a consolidation had to occur, one channel is enough to cover both genres. Most of Voom's content could be represented across 5 channels.

1. Equator/Gallery/Treasure (Documentary folks)
2. Monsters/Kung Fu (Slasher folks)
3. Rave/Ultra/Rush (Hipster folks)
4. Voom HD Movies/FilmFest (Movie folks)
5. Family Room/Animania/Gameplay (Family folks)

Sorry News and La Liga/CFL folks, not sure where to put you.
If I had to, I could live with this arrangement. It's better than nothing like we have now.

First stab...I'm sure there are betters ways to slice/dice this...but 5 isnt quite enough...and of course, I accept that Voom is probably not interested in this but would be easier to market to other providers with bandwidth issues...

1. Equator
2. Monsters/Kung Fu
3. Rave/Ultra
4. Gallery/Treasure
5. Voom HD Movies/FilmFest
6. Family Room/Animania/Gameplay
7. Rush/Worldsport
8. HDNews

good work. What do you have in let's say a 5 chnnel limeup?

VOOM Movies
VOOM Arts & Music
VOOM Leisure & Lifestyle
VOOM Family
VOOM Worldview

I would rotate the movie theme channels around daily like Encore MoviePlex does. "You're watching Monsters Mondays, on VOOM HD Movies". On the weekends, rotate the themes week to week. "It's a Kung Fu weekend, on Voom HD Movies." Make the weekends have tons of variety, so you could leave it on all day, During the week, maybe run the repeating blocks of 2 or 3. They could even bring back some of the old themes- Guy TV, Gunslingers, Vice, Divine, ect.

Arts & Music could incorporate all the Rave and Gallery programming, plus the old Lab/MOOV stuff (that used to run on RAVE anyway.)

Leisure & Lifestyle is your big grab-bag of stuff. Ultra, Gameplay and Treasure would all fit here.

Family is pretty obvious...keep it the same as Family room, with an Animania Block in the after school period. Overnight, run "The Classics" stuff from Animania mixed with the old retro stuff like Thunderbirds.

That leaves Equator, Rush, WorldSport, & HD News. Most of the Equator programming would go to VOOM Worldview, but you also might program some kind of educational block on VOOM Family. Rush could be split...most of the actual sports stuff would go on VOOM Leisure & Lifestyle, but some of the more travel oriented stuff could fit on VOOM Worldview.

WorldSport- I never watched, so maybe I have no idea what it had. I get the feeling there was very little live (or nearly live) sports. If it's just a few games a week, then they could fit into VOOM Leisure & Lifestyle. If there's something every day, then maybe you could put it on Worldview. If there's GENUINELY a lot of live sports, then maybe there should be a 6th VOOM Sports channel, otherwise I don't see the point. Or maybe they should just let those contracts expire, if the following isn't there.

Worldview could also have a movie from World Cinema, maybe once a night.

As for HD News...well, I liked it, and I understand people who say it was providing something that Headline News had gotten away from. But let's face it- they didn't have the funding to support a REAL world news organization. The big guys are going to start producing more and more HD, and just being a novelty isn't enough. Rainbow could try marketing it separately and putting more into it, but I doubt they'd get much support. One other option...produce short news and weather briefs to run on the other channels. Run them every half hour on Worldview, so people know where to find them. They can also stick them in between shows on the other channels.

This isn't based necessarily on what I personally would want. I would actually be happy with just the 5 channels we had on Tuesday. This is based on studying programming in college long ago, though I'm sure my knowledge is way out of date. If I was the head of Voom and faced with a "contract to 5 channels or die" situation...this is what I would do.

I would speculate a combination of all. Dish has very limited satellite capacity cut down even more by the loss of AMC-14. They seem to have come up with the idea that Dish would make more money (i.e. get more subs) with just 5 VOOM channels instead of 15. Thus freeing up 10 channels worth of space for other HD channels from other providers.
-snip-
Mike: appreciate your considered response to my post. Actually, it (my post) was a bit tongue-in-cheek because I think the Charlie/VOOM conflict is more complicated than it appears. This is quite aside from whether VOOM in fact didn't live up to its end of the bargain or Charlie is just being Charlie.

For example: if Charlie says something like "I want RAVE, KUNG-FU, EQUATOR, ULTRA and MONSTERS-HD" then he's in a pickle, because these channels repeat just as much as the rest and Charlie shows he really doesn't like the content, not the fact they repeat so much. If VOOM says: OK, carry the 15 channels and we'll charge you like it was a suite of 5 channels and Charlie says no, then he demonstrates that it's a capacity problem. There are really so many issues apart, again, from who breached the contract, that negotiations, if any, would be very sticky.

I suppose the best guess is that when there were few HD alternative channels Charlie bit the bullet. Since D* started its HD campaign and directly or indirectly caused an increase in the number of "HD" providers, he wanted to find a way out of the contract. If AMC-14 had launched successfully then his objective would have been to use the repeats and claim not enough spending as a way to pry a rate reduction out of VOOM. Now that AMC-14 flopped he has added fewer channels as an objective.

Last edited:
VOOM Movies
VOOM Arts & Music
VOOM Leisure & Lifestyle
VOOM Family
VOOM Worldview
That works for me! Guess it doesnt work for Voom (or the Monsters & Kung Fu cult), else they mighta done it already. I need to locate some of the media contacts i came across for Rainbow this week, so that you can forward this on to them...(I'm not naive enough to think that they'd want/take suggestions), but who the heck really knows with this outfit...

yep

You got same canned response :( - I saw it posted here last day.

Yep it was the same response. I expected that but the idea was that if they keep getting emails then they know we are not happy. This small amount of pressure from numbers of subs may help move them to think that there are several times the number of subx that are feeling the same way.

That works for me! Guess it doesnt work for Voom (or the Monsters & Kung Fu cult), else they mighta done it already. I need to locate some of the media contacts i came across for Rainbow this week, so that you can forward this on to them...(I'm not naive enough to think that they'd want/take suggestions), but who the heck really knows with this outfit...

I know there is a healthy Monstershd cult but KungFu? I am surpised at that. But they were one of the 5 left so I guess they were more popular than the others.

That works for me! Guess it doesnt work for Voom (or the Monsters & Kung Fu cult).

I am in the "Monsters cult"...or I was before it got so lame. Give me a few movies every week, and a marathon weekend once a month and I'd be happy...especially now that there's nothing.

I know there is a healthy Monstershd cult but KungFu? I am surpised at that. But they were one of the 5 left so I guess they were more popular than the others.

Where else can anyone see those movies regularly?

I never watched it much, but sometimes I would have friends come visit and we'd wind up watching all night, because they were into it and had no other outlet than scouring vid stores..

I never watched it much, but sometimes I would have friends come visit and we'd wind up watching all night, because they were into it and had no other outlet than scouring vid stores..

True. Such evenings are more for the experience than the movies. No different than a Star Wars marathon with all the buddies over drinking beer and having a good ol time. Either that or margaritas. I would prefer the latter. :D

I am pro-VOOM, but I don't think they needed the help. Dish just assisted in the process.

I ws half joking. I don't think either side has acted admirably. But you may have hit the nail on the head.

To me, there IS no substitute for WorldSportHD. I will miss CFL in HD and I'm very upset about it.

Hell, I admit it: I miss the demo channel with the aquarium at night. Only thing that got my kids to sleep most nights.

I realize that not all Voom channels were great, and way too many shows just repeated day after day.
However, At least they were all HD all the time.
And they replaced them with 22 channels of which it seems like less than 50% do anything more than stretch-o-vision.
I'm very happy to see more HD, but not impressed in the least with stretchovision.

I think this was a major mistake by E*. What should have been a great thing turned into a PR nightmare. I would imagine that E* will field a lot of compaints.

Perhaps my experiences at the call center vastly differ from other CSR's, but I take 80-100 calls a day and since Voom went Boom, I have had exactly two customers who mentioned it. Neither cancelled.

VOOM Movies
VOOM Arts & Music
VOOM Leisure & Lifestyle
VOOM Family
VOOM Worldview

I would rotate the movie theme channels around daily like Encore MoviePlex does. "You're watching Monsters Mondays, on VOOM HD Movies". On the weekends, rotate the themes week to week. "It's a Kung Fu weekend, on Voom HD Movies." Make the weekends have tons of variety, so you could leave it on all day, During the week, maybe run the repeating blocks of 2 or 3. They could even bring back some of the old themes- Guy TV, Gunslingers, Vice, Divine, ect.

Arts & Music could incorporate all the Rave and Gallery programming, plus the old Lab/MOOV stuff (that used to run on RAVE anyway.)

Leisure & Lifestyle is your big grab-bag of stuff. Ultra, Gameplay and Treasure would all fit here.

Family is pretty obvious...keep it the same as Family room, with an Animania Block in the after school period. Overnight, run "The Classics" stuff from Animania mixed with the old retro stuff like Thunderbirds.

That leaves Equator, Rush, WorldSport, & HD News. Most of the Equator programming would go to VOOM Worldview, but you also might program some kind of educational block on VOOM Family. Rush could be split...most of the actual sports stuff would go on VOOM Leisure & Lifestyle, but some of the more travel oriented stuff could fit on VOOM Worldview.

WorldSport- I never watched, so maybe I have no idea what it had. I get the feeling there was very little live (or nearly live) sports. If it's just a few games a week, then they could fit into VOOM Leisure & Lifestyle. If there's something every day, then maybe you could put it on Worldview. If there's GENUINELY a lot of live sports, then maybe there should be a 6th VOOM Sports channel, otherwise I don't see the point. Or maybe they should just let those contracts expire, if the following isn't there.

Worldview could also have a movie from World Cinema, maybe once a night.

As for HD News...well, I liked it, and I understand people who say it was providing something that Headline News had gotten away from. But let's face it- they didn't have the funding to support a REAL world news organization. The big guys are going to start producing more and more HD, and just being a novelty isn't enough. Rainbow could try marketing it separately and putting more into it, but I doubt they'd get much support. One other option...produce short news and weather briefs to run on the other channels. Run them every half hour on Worldview, so people know where to find them. They can also stick them in between shows on the other channels.

This isn't based necessarily on what I personally would want. I would actually be happy with just the 5 channels we had on Tuesday. This is based on studying programming in college long ago, though I'm sure my knowledge is way out of date. If I was the head of Voom and faced with a "contract to 5 channels or die" situation...this is what I would do.

Interesting thoughts!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)