VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I got surveyed by E* to find out why I discontinued my subscription. Of the 10 survey options for the main reason why, they had no option to say it was because they dropped VOOM. So I picked "Other" and wrote that.

They did include options like "I was misinformed about my pricing/service" and "I did not understand my bill."

Those last two can apply to about anyone these days, if you've seen the transcript of the dealer chat :)

Scott, I know you felt guilty, thus opening this thread back up. It's time time to SHUT IT DOWN. Nothing but wound licking going on.

Why do you even care or need to judge us?

Don't click on the thread and you should be OK.

But there are therapists out there who can help you if the Voom Threads have cause mental/emotional distress for you.

What types of HD channels are there?

1) Premium HD (HBO & Starz)
2) Commercial-free HD only (HDmovies & MGM HD)
3) National Commercial HD (TBS & Bravo)
4) Sports HD (WFN & Golf)
5) PPV HD

Am I missing anything?

I can understand people who do not pay for HBO or Starz are not caring about these new channels. For me, they are the only way Dish could even hope to keep me as a customer. (They have to cover Hawaii within 4-6 months too.)

The Voom channels that were removed were in the class of #2. Dish has never replaced the missing 15. They added Smithsonian HD and MGM HD (and maybe a sports channel or 2) and Chiller SD; but Dish never replaced the missing Voom channels with something equal to Voom. The recent release of premium HD should not be any consolation to those who are missing commercial free Voom HD, but never subscribed to premiums like HBO or Starz.

National commercial HD is a real waist of bandwidth. Working on these channels first seems dumb. Those networks are not ready for HD since they do not have any HD content.

Sports and PPV mean nothing to me however.

What types of HD channels are there?

1) Premium HD (HBO & Starz)
2) Commercial-free HD only (HDmovies & MGM HD)
3) National Commercial HD (TBS & Bravo)
4) Sports HD (WFN & Golf)
5) PPV HD

Am I missing anything?

I can understand people who do not pay for HBO or Starz are not caring about these new channels. For me, they are the only way Dish could even hope to keep me as a customer. (They have to cover Hawaii within 4-6 months too.)

The Voom channels that were removed were in the class of #2. Dish has never replaced the missing 15. They added Smithsonian HD and MGM HD (and maybe a sports channel or 2) and Chiller SD; but Dish never replaced the missing Voom channels with something equal to Voom. The recent release of premium HD should not be any consolation to those who are missing commercial free Voom HD, but never subscribed to premiums like HBO or Starz.

National commercial HD is a real waist of bandwidth. Working on these channels first seems dumb. Those networks are not ready for HD since they do not have any HD content.

Sports and PPV mean nothing to me however.

I agree. The new additions are great for those who subscribe to them. I have Cinemax and a BluRay player. I don't need HBO and Starz.

100% HD or not, these "commercial HD" channels are the bread and butter of pay-tv subscriptions. These are the brand-name channels that people know and watch. To you working on these first seems dumb, but in the name of business these channels and local HD are where the subs are coming from.

100% HD or not, these "commercial HD" channels are the bread and butter of pay-tv subscriptions. These are the brand-name channels that people know and watch. To you working on these first seems dumb, but in the name of business these channels and local HD are where the subs are coming from.

You have to realize that common sense and logic left this thread long ago. Showing the Pan Am games for the 897th time is obviously much better business strategy;).

To be truthful while there are not many VOOMers they sure are vocal. The old VOOM DBS forums had a significant share of the posts around here even though VOOM never had 50,000 subs vs the millions for the two big DBS services.

To some extent you see the same thing here. Even though VOOM is on the ropes at the moment many are insisting that this substitute or that one is not adequate and they must have VOOM back.

Just voted with my pocketbook and switched to D*.

No soup for you Charlie, ever!

Edge

To be truthful while there are not many VOOMers they sure are vocal. The old VOOM DBS forums had a significant share of the posts around here even though VOOM never had 50,000 subs vs the millions for the two big DBS services.

To some extent you see the same thing here. Even though VOOM is on the ropes at the moment many are insisting that this substitute or that one is not adequate and they must have VOOM back.

Well put!!!:up

I have never said only Voom will do. I know Voom is gone. I also said if they turn on 10 or 15 premium HD channels, I would shut up about Voom because at least for me, those additional 24/7 HD movie channels would make up for Voom. (This is not true for everyone.)

So I shut up about Voom in Aug 1.

I have said that MGM HD and WFN HD and Bravo HD and Chiller SD hardly makes up for what was lost when Voom was ripped off the air. I'm glad all of you are so happy with your HD nationals with mostly HD commercials. It's bread and butter, but Dish never took that route and only changed its game after getting their butts kicked by DirecTV.

Dish is now choosing to be DirecTV, so why not go with the business that is modeling the other?

I watch these national HDs and there is nothing worth the HD feed. I usually choose A&E SD over the HD stretch-o-vision. If these channels warranted HD feeds, they would have a few HD productions ready to go. There is no reason these national HD channels cannot buy HD movies today. Sci-Fi HD buys HD regularly and mixes that with their SD content, at least they have some HD.

I'll shut up on the national HD when those channels really produce and buy HD content. Now that they are on, they need to do something with it.

Taking 24/7 HD channels and replacing them with these HD wannabes that only air HD commercials is nuts. Of course most of moron America will be thrilled since most have little clue as to what HD is (they probably have their HDTVs connected via coaxial cable). I do not particularly wish to cater to a dumbed down American market. Dish was not doing this, now they are.

Charlie himself said, when DirecTV was launching 100 national HD channels, that he did not want to add HD channels people didn't watch and that did not have any HD content. I agreed and stayed with Dish Network even though DirecTV had way more National HD. Once the numbers came in, he changed his mind very very quickly. At the time, he was laughing at DirecTV, but now I think DriecTV is laughing at him.

I have never said only Voom will do. I know Voom is gone. I also said if they turn on 10 or 15 premium HD channels, I would shut up about Voom because at least for me, those additional 24/7 HD movie channels would make up for Voom. (This is not true for everyone.)

Perhaps not but many others have. no knock on them or you. Just an observation that the VOOM community while small is very vocal and very committed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)